BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 29, 2016 5:46 pm  #221

Re: Marvellous Midyear Fic Exchange 2016

Sick Leave

I really enjoyed this fic. I liked that even though Sherlock was caring, they all also went about with their life - just a cold, after all. Nice balance between caring and overbearing. 

I really liked the "Monopoly case", great idea! Would've loved to read that story, actually. I also though the relationship between Sherlock and John was wonderfully described. 

Last edited by Vhanja (June 29, 2016 5:47 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

June 29, 2016 5:48 pm  #222

Insomnia

I am sorry for being a bit late with commenting as well. Let me make up for this by saying what a wonderful fic Insomnia is.

The case is so bitter sweet. I cannot stop thinking of Mrs Levi who loved her husband so much that she preserved his herriage the way she did.

The Johnlock part is touching too. What a heart-breaking way to end the Watson marriage. I can see it happening like that. And Sherlock blaming himself ..  *sob*

Congrats, dear unknown author. I cannot wait for this to show up on AO3 to give my kudos.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 29, 2016 7:25 pm  #223

Sick leave

Hello anon author, I'm simply stunned by how well you managed to knit all those different prompts into one story that still made sense. Extremely clever. Also, like Vhanja commented, I like that they just get on with their lives. That's totally what those men would do.

June 29, 2016 11:47 pm  #224

Yitzock wrote:

I am loving the illustrations, ukaunz! Interesting choice, drawing Sherlock with black eyes. I think that conveys well the feeling of him lying awake.
It also reminded me of a play where one character has black eyes like that.

Thank you for being kind about it I was trying to make it look like he was lying in the moonlight, so it would be too dark to see his eyes properly, but I don't think it worked. My husband said... Well, I can't remember the exact euphemism he used, but basically said he looks dead! I would have drawn him again and tried to fix it, but I was so pleased with the way the rest of his face turned out 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 30, 2016 11:01 am  #225

Sick Leave

Dear unkown author,

sorry for not commenting sooner, I had a long and stressful day at work yesterday and when I finally got home, I was just to tiered to write a proper text.

D’awww . That was my first reaction to your wonderful sweet fluffy story. I have a soft spot for little harmless sickfics where our boys take care for each other. So this fitted exactly to my taste in reading. Poor John, having a cold in the summer really sucks. I liked how you put the other characters like Mrs. Hudson, Lestrade and Mycroft into the story and how they behaved, Mrs. Hudson being motherly, Lestrade a little annoyed at Sherlock’s behaviour and Mycroft being the smart big brother. Great.
I loved the idea that Sherlock would count John’s sneezing or Mycroft who is instantly concerned when Sherlock left the house alone.
I googled the South Foreland Lighthouse and I definitely put it on my list of places to visit once I’ll have time to spent a longer holiday in England. I love lighthouses, I hope it wasn’t a big struggle to put one into the story as there are probably not too many of them in London . You did a great job there.
I also liked the idea of the Monopoly and Cluedo murderer. Sounds like fascinating cases worth a story of their one. Oh, and how about a sequel where John will get the proposal he was dreaming about?

Thank you very much, for this wonderful story unknown author and many thanks once again to ukaunz for your drawing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

June 30, 2016 1:45 pm  #226

ukaunz wrote:

Yitzock wrote:

I am loving the illustrations, ukaunz! Interesting choice, drawing Sherlock with black eyes. I think that conveys well the feeling of him lying awake.

Thank you for being kind about it I was trying to make it look like he was lying in the moonlight, so it would be too dark to see his eyes properly, but I don't think it worked. My husband said... Well, I can't remember the exact euphemism he used, but basically said he looks dead! I would have drawn him again and tried to fix it, but I was so pleased with the way the rest of his face turned out 

Darkness! That makes sense. Well, even if that is not what I initially thought of as the reason for his eyes to look like that, I still like it.

Clueing for looks.

July 1, 2016 7:21 am  #227

Is there a place somewhere on the forum where we can try and draw a bit more attention to the exchange. So far the response has been dismally low, which is both a disappointment to the authors who gave their fics all their love and devotion and to ukaunz who took it upon her to organise this lovely exchange.

July 1, 2016 7:28 am  #228

Last week I already posted invitations in the Johnlock and non-Johnlock threads. Sadly the reactions have not been as I hoped. And there are some participants even who have not posted any comments so far, in once case even a participant whose fic has been already posted. 

I had some doubts when we started this since we experienced something similar during the last Secret Santa but I love writing and reading fics so I supported the idea. I do understand if people do not find the time to read or comment at all. But participating and then never commenting on fics is not very nice. For me it is understood that if I agree on an exchange, I will try and read and comment on as many stories as possible. And since we have excluded deal breakers like explicit sex and gore, there should be no reason why not to join the fun. For a fanfic writer the worst thing that can happen is that people do not respond to the fic. 

(This is not a mod's note. I only used colour to draw attention to this ).

Last edited by SusiGo (July 1, 2016 7:52 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 1, 2016 7:47 am  #229

I agree with both of you. The response is disappointing. I know I am lagging behind one fic but one cannot help but noticed that not even all participants have commented so far.

I fail to understand that. Someone who wants to get feedback should give it to others in return.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

July 1, 2016 7:52 am  #230

Thank you to both of you. Perhaps another announcement would work?

July 1, 2016 8:16 am  #231

Giving the benefit of doubt, maybe some people are waiting until the end to comment on all the fics? And we have two authors who are (hopefully) still working on their own stories, so they might be too busy at the moment.

It would be lovely to get more feedback though...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 1, 2016 12:42 pm  #232

Sick Leave

Pleasant domesticity just lives and breathes in this lovely fic. Althrough there is no great action present, the story gets you immerged in its world by creating a lulling, wonderful sense of caring and safety which our heroes so often lack in the series itself. Sherlock being caring is exatly my thing and this great work paints him at his best, it really warmed my heart to see him so. John getting some care from his friends, the reactions of Lestrade, Mrs. Hudson and Mycroft, it all left me with feeling that these people are an unusual, but real family and are inseparable. Perfect summer treat.

Althrough, I´m a bit miffed that we didn´t get to know more about those exciting Monopoly and Cluedo murders. Such a wonderful idea... maybe we would have them described in some sequel?

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 1, 2016 12:45 pm  #233

Yitzock wrote:

ukaunz wrote:

Yitzock wrote:

Darkness! That makes sense. Well, even if that is not what I initially thought of as the reason for his eyes to look like that, I still like it.

I actually loved to see him with black, hollow eyes. It perfectly conveyed his inner torment that prevents him to sleep and thus it was a really fitting illustration to the theme of the story.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 1, 2016 1:51 pm  #234

That's exactly what I thought, too, nakahara! The dark eyes convey that feeling well.

Clueing for looks.

July 1, 2016 9:03 pm  #235

Serendipity

July 2, 2016 8:20 am  #236

Fic number five is ready for reading, so get on over there

First Time

Oh Sherlock, you're such a drama queen, and just a bit insecure! I love it when the heart on Sherlock's sleeve is bigger than his enormous brain. You did a great job of getting inside Sherlock's POV and showing us how he can sometimes misinterpret things, especially when it comes to his personal relationships. I also love the way John reassures Sherlock because he understands, accepts and loves him. A pleasing little fic, I would be interested to know what happens next...

Last edited by ukaunz (July 2, 2016 8:21 am)

July 2, 2016 9:50 am  #237

First Time

Dear unknown author, 
this made me smile and made me feel all warm and happy. I love stories from Sherlock's POV, and it is nice to see him struggling with his feelings. And then using his brain to understand what happened and help him to realise that it was not that bad after all. 
I also like the idea of the weather this time not mirroring but contradicting his inner turmoil. And, yes, I agree with ukaunz, the scene at home would have made an interesting read as well. 

And thanks to ukaunz again. This is just the smile we sometimes get to see, a smile Sherlock does not give anyone but John. Best evidence of how much he loves him. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 2, 2016 10:11 am  #238

First Time

Thank you so much, dear uknown author, for this lovely fic! It doesn't matter one bit that there isn't a case, I love these domestic stories just as much (if not more). I loved the introspective view. How you go from being so angry you can't believe someone could say something like that, to cooling down and realising it wasn't really such a big thing after all. It has happened to me several times, so I can relate to Sherlock here. 

I loved how you cleverly incorporated all the prompt words. And I really enjoyed their relationship as portrayed in this story (through Sherlock's mind). This is the kind of story and relationship that works as a teaser - I would've loved to read about how they got together in this version. Not to mention, as other have said, what happened when Sherlock got home...

Lovely detail with the uncooperating weather. I laughed at Sherlock failing to stroll angrily. Thanks for a lovely fic, it was exactly what I wanted. :D

And kudos again to ukaunz for the lovely drawings - love Sherlock's happy grin!

Last edited by Vhanja (July 2, 2016 10:11 am)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

July 2, 2016 11:51 am  #239

First Time

Absolutely adorable Johnlock fluff that makes your day shine. I can´t believe that within a relatively short span of thsi story, we have things like Johnlock kiss, Johnlock first sweet loving and first lover´s quarrel incorporated! Do you want to kill me, dear author? I´m not even finished drooling over that kiss and you hit me with remark about an eager, breathless firts time in bed.... hoooh, I need a cold shower now! And then this stormy first time quarreling, nicely mirrored in the London rain on the streets outside. Utterly beautiful structure of the story.

I very much loved Sherlock and his thought processes in this story. Very in character, I think. It was a nice touch how he deduced that their quarrel was nothing serious at the end. True detective at work there, even if in a domestic setting. And John, although he featured only as the voice in the telephone mostly, was his supportive, nice, controlled self, even if he lost patience with Sherlock for a while. But that´s how real life works.

And I now demand a detailed sequel of the make-up sex! You can´t be so cruel as to bait us this way and not grant us the continuation of this story, dear author!  

July 2, 2016 11:53 am  #240

Ukaunz, your smiling Sherlock deserves mentioning of its own... it´s marvellous!

Board footera