BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 23, 2016 6:57 am  #201

Re: Marvellous Midyear Fic Exchange 2016

I will send you a PM. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 23, 2016 7:30 am  #202

The next story is up for your perusal!

Thunder and Explosions

Poor John,  PTSD would be so debilitating. It's nice to read a story in which Sherlock is being so kind and helpful to John. It was also interesting to see the same scene from the two points of view. Well done, secret author

P.S. I couldn't help contributing a picture to go with your story. I hope you like my illustration 

Last edited by ukaunz (June 23, 2016 7:31 am)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 23, 2016 9:36 am  #203

Thunder and Explosions

Another nice treat that was delivered to us so that we can enjoy our summer a bit more. A cute little John-centric fic bringing a taste of rain and sand and warmhearted care with it.

I liked the way this story gave us a sense of peaceful repose there at the beginning where John relishes the soothing rain with the stoicity of a real Englishman and how this quiet scene stealthily, one step after another, changed into one of terror and panic-attack. The gradation of the situation was quite intense there.

Sherlock´s gentle worry and care about John was very moving. I still have the picture of him supporting John protectively, leading him away from the beach with the duvet thrown over their heads, in my mind... memorable and beautiful.

I am not a fan of Mary and so it was a bit hard for me to imagine her being so mellow and gentle towards John in the next scene (I can picture her cracking some sarcastic remarks there... ). Still, I enjoyed the scene for the wonderful sense of support and love John received from his family and friends. Lucky guy, that man, to be surrounded by such cocoon of warmth. 

All in all, this was a nice summer caress for the soul.

And ukaunz, your picture accompanying the fic is marvellous! I´m impressed!

Last edited by nakahara (June 23, 2016 10:15 am)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 23, 2016 9:41 am  #204

Thunder and Explosions

I always like stories that are told from various POVs, so this made for a nice read. Lovely atmosphere creating a summer day in Cornwall, then the abrupt change of tone when the thunderstorm triggers John's PTSD. Well done of Sherlock to care for him so kindly. 

And also kudos to ukaunz for the lovely drawing. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

June 23, 2016 4:13 pm  #205

Thunder and Explosions

As mentioned by nakahara, I also greatly enjoyed the gradual build-up of intensity in this story. That was well done. And Sherlock alwyas puts style over practical sense - its so warm that John is sweating, yet Sherlock still wears his coat!

And for whatever reason, I am entertained by the image of Sherlock buying and carrying around hamburgers.

Also kudos to ukaunz for the lovely drawing!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

June 23, 2016 10:05 pm  #206

Thunder and Explosions

I was very excited to see this posted today, and when I saw that there was even an illustration to go with it, I was even more touched.  Such a pleasant and cool surprise! 
I liked seeing the story from the two point of views one after the other, and the change in mood from the beginning to later was well done, as the others have already said.
I liked the exchange between John and Sherlock at the end about being part cat.  It truly made me laugh out loud.  I was also surprised to read that Sherlock was wearing his coat even though John was sitting down on the beach feeling the heat.  He really loves that coat, doesn't he?
When we were given the theme of summer, two things I thought of when given that theme were thunderstorms and going to the beach (not necessarily at the same time, though I have experienced them together as well as separately!).  I could never have predicted how those would be used in a story, but I like what you have come up with, my secret author! Thank you!

Clueing for looks.

June 24, 2016 9:03 am  #207

Sorry besley, but the other thread is for stories and pictures only, could you please delete your comment:

besleybean wrote:

It is here!

This is the thread for comments and chat, and you're still welcome to join in

Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 24, 2016 11:57 am  #208

Thunder and Explosions

It's always strange (in a positive way) to me to read stories where our heros are on holiday. The idea of Sherlock on the beach (of course he won't forgo of his coat) is just so bizarre

Besides this general setting of the story I also liked (as ohters have already mentioned) Sherlock being very caring and supportive towards John. And I'm also glad to see Mary as a lovely and caring character here as well. I also think that John's expierence of the flashback was good described.

The story left me with a warm feeling due to the sweetness of our little Baker Street Family

Many thanks and kudos to ukaunz for the great drawing! You are really talented

Last edited by stoertebeker (June 24, 2016 11:59 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

June 24, 2016 5:42 pm  #209

Thunder and Explosions

Last edited by Schmiezi (July 11, 2016 4:58 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

June 26, 2016 7:18 am  #210

The third fic has been posted!

To those authors still submitting their fics or waiting for them to be posted: we're still having the occasional hiccup with converting Word --> html --> BBCode, so let me know privately if anything needs fixing when I post your story.

Insomnia

This is a really lovely Johnlock fic, not soppy, just the perfect amount of feels. The electricity between them was like a building thunderstorm that culminated in passionate sparks at the end, thank goodness! Very in-character for both of them, and I thought the case was well done too. The image that stayed with me was of Sherlock lying awake at night, blocking out every other noise until he is focussed completely on the sound of John in the flat (so I decided to draw him that way ) A truly enjoyable read, great job

Last edited by ukaunz (July 1, 2016 9:21 am)

June 26, 2016 4:25 pm  #211

Insomnia

I really enjoyed reading this fic. It was long, had an interesting case and a very beliavable Sherlock and John. I particularly liked the ending, and I agree with ukaunz that it was a nice build-up with the right balane of feels and realistic progression. Nothing can be easy with these two idiots, can it?

And it's cool with an illustrating drawing, ukaunz! :D

Last edited by Vhanja (June 26, 2016 4:26 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

June 26, 2016 6:16 pm  #212

Insomnia

Dear unknown author, what a great fic. The case story was lovely and it was so cleverly connected to Sherlock and John's personal situation. They were very much in character and the love story was very convincingly told. But my biggest praise is this: 

I loved the natural world with its oppressive heat, lethargy, and threat of thunderstorms serving as a parallel for John and Sherlock's feelings. The increasing pressure of the heatwave mirrors the tensions due to their unspoken feelings. And then, at the end, the big crashing thunderstorms dissolving into this beautiful first kiss scene. 

Thank you for a wonderful read. 

June 27, 2016 2:58 pm  #213

Insomnia

Dear unknown author, first of all, let me apologise that I had not responded to your fic right away, the day it was posted. I´ve been on a lovely trip with my friends and almost suffered a sunstroke while strolling through the town heated to the desert-like temperature, therefore I was dead tired upon my return and had it not in me to switch-on the PC in that state. I was quite surprised to discover in the morning that the new story in the line was written for me. Murphy´s laws at their best, I´m afraid.

Still, I am very glad that you gave me such a beautiful story as a fic and that I received it now. Yippiiii!!!

As to the story itself, it was right to my taste and absolutely delightful. As was already mentioned by other posters, your description of the oppresive, mind-dumbing heat that leaves the man irritated, tired and resignated was spot on and it beautifully underlined the emotionally-charged quagmire Sherlock and John found themselves in after Mary left the picture. What a sad situation did you created there, oh my! My heart still bleeds for little Allison, John´s silent, dignified pain and his enduring of that pain in silence, Sherlock´s irrational and yet so acute self-recrimination...

You feared that you won´t be able to write a proper case fic. And yet you managed to create a moving and delicately nostalgic case of Mrs. Levi which went perfectly hand in hand with Sherlock´s and John´s private crisis. Sherlock´s insomnia paired with Mrs. Levi´s somnabulism, their constant longing for the people who were their world and who slipped out of their reach, John´s nightmares and his constant reminiscence of his past torments... all that perfectly embodied both „Weltschmerz“ and „Sehnsucht“, IMHO. Even your little „cheat“ (but not really ;) ) in the form of „Endstation Sehnsucht“ seemed to speak about the situation quite well...

Endstation Sehnsucht, dort hab ich dich verlorn
Endstation Sehnsucht doch ich hab mir geschworn
Im nächsten Leben fährt der Zug nochmal ein
und ich werd wieder am Bahnhof Einsamkeit sein

Very, very beautiful and very, very fitting to the feelings described in the story, I think.

It was wonderful how after all that tiring heat and world-weariness and helplessness, the dilemma was solved by the clear, soothing touch of water – the cathartic tears of Mrs. Levi healing her aching soul, the torrential rain watering the scorched earth, the floodgates of Sherlock´s and John´s emotions being lifted together with the floodgates of heaven... in a masterfully symbolic scene, the water washed all that old pain and guilt and recriminations away and left the ground clear for new relationship, new life.

And of course, the heart of every Johnlocker would soar in joy at the description of that kiss that crowned the whole story. Both Sherlock and John deserved it so after such tribulations.

The nicest gift I could receive after the bustling weekend and a piece of a damn-good read. I can´t tell you how happy I am that I could read it.

And ukaunz, your pics accompanying the fics are marvellous. With such enjoyable gems (which you certainly spend a long time creating, to make this summer exchange memorable and cozy), it´s wonderful to have you as our mod. Just so you know.

Last edited by nakahara (June 27, 2016 8:42 pm)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 27, 2016 8:29 pm  #214

Starry Night, Oil on Canvas 1889

Dear anon author, what a wonderful story you've written, so full of colour and aromas and languid gentleness and summer. Sherlock's longing is palpable and the end teases just enough.

All in all a truly lovely story.

June 27, 2016 8:33 pm  #215

Thunder and Explosions

Hello anon author, what a highly interesting fic you've written, a wonderfully sensitive exploration of John's PTSD. The anguish both of the sufferer and of the people who love him and want to help him but don't know what's the best way to go about it are marvellously drawn.

Beautiful fic.

June 27, 2016 8:38 pm  #216

Insomnia

Dear anon author. What a truly lovely and ingenuous casefic you've given nakahara. You almost apologised in your introduction but I thought that was totally unnecessary. The case is everything one wants, Sherlock being his usual curt self and John apologetic and trying to ease things along. And all along so-called insensitive Sherlock has already grasped far more about their client and their grief than John is capable of. I love casefics were Sherlock is revealed as the best man, the most sensitive human being, everything he doesn't seem to be upon first meeting him.

Marvellously well done.

June 27, 2016 8:39 pm  #217

The pics

Dear ukaunz, thank you so much for creating these wonderful drawings for the stories. They heighten the coziness and charm of this exchange.

June 29, 2016 4:17 am  #218

Thank you, dio

I'm not sure I'll be able to keep illustrating each story, school holidays are nearly here and I may be kept too busy! (and I hope our first story author doesn't feel left out, but I can't compete with Van Gogh )

Now everyone, please hop on over to the other thread to read our fourth fic.

Sick Leave

*sigh* That was so satisfying. I loved the descriptions of Sherlock and John gazing out into the scenery, just enjoying being together. Plus the idea that Sherlock counts John's sneezes — a perfectly Sherlockian thing to do. I enjoyed the locations, and the allusions to board games — such a clever way to include all your prompts. Sick Leave is just what the doctor ordered

Last edited by ukaunz (June 29, 2016 4:20 am)

June 29, 2016 7:14 am  #219

Sick Leave

Thank you, dear unknown author, for this nice story. It had a summery feeling throughout, poor John being ill in warm weather which is always terrible. Good idea about the board game murderer and the atmospheric visit to Tower Bridge. And as much as I love highly dramatic fics, it was really nice to read about the boys in a loving established relationship for a change. 

And of course thank you to ukaunz for the wonderfully tender drawing of their joint hands. 

June 29, 2016 2:08 pm  #220

Insomnia

I'm glad I finally got around to reading this story. I really liked the case. Author seemed daunted by the request of a case fic, but it was well-executed. Well done!

I am loving the illustrations, ukaunz! Interesting choice, drawing Sherlock with black eyes. I think that conveys well the feeling of him lying awake.
It also reminded me of a play where one character has black eyes like that.

Clueing for looks.

Board footera