BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 15, 2016 2:21 pm  #1

The Big Picture - Discussing the show as a whole

By now we have 11 episodes including the pilot. And I more and more feel the need for a thread in which we can discuss overarching features, theories, details, etc. referring to more than one series. Since I firmly believe that the show is not episodic but about long narrative arcs, there should be a place to discuss this. 

I would like to begin with something I have discussed just today with some people on tumblr. This is about parallels between HoB and series 3 with regard to Mycroft's office:

http://gosherlocked.tumblr.com/post/141086464951/sherlock-little-weed-gosherlocked

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 15, 2016 2:38 pm  #2

Re: The Big Picture - Discussing the show as a whole

I'm confused but that's probably me being thick:
I thought that in TEH it was the only confirmed scene in Mycroft's office. But in the tumblr exchange there's talk of a room with yellow walls?
Secondly the room at the end of THoB, I always thought that was not an office but some room for inquiries with prisoners or something. How do we know it's Mycroft's office as well?
And what allusion is there to this wooden horse tweet??
Sorry for those dumb questions but I'm curious and eager to understand....

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

March 15, 2016 2:44 pm  #3

Great idea for a topic.

So, are we saying that Mycroft is now a prisoner in his own political games?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 15, 2016 2:44 pm  #4

The horse referred to a recent tweet by Arwel, it might be in the series 4 thread. 

As for the rest: 
The idea is that cell/interrogation room we see at the end of HoB is quite similar to Mycroft's office in TEH. We see the office again in HLV - in Sherlock's mind palace and when Lestrade meets Mycroft to discuss the boltholes. In TGG, however, Mycroft had a completely different office, a bit old-fashioned and not in a basement either. You can see it when John meets him there. 

The rooom in HoB is very naked, concrete walls and floor. Take a look at Mycroft's office in series 3, same naked walls and floor. Quite unusual for a man of his standing. 

Then there are these strange round indentations in the walls, both in HoB and series 3, which look quite similar. We were thinking what it could mean if Moriarty was held in a room looking like the one Mycroft uses as his office. And why he changed his office at all. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 15, 2016 2:45 pm  #5

tonnaree wrote:

Great idea for a topic.

So, are we saying that Mycroft is now a prisoner in his own political games?

Good point. Yes, it might be a hint that he has got himself very deep into something he cannot control anymore. 

March 15, 2016 3:03 pm  #6

I will be disappointed if we don't get more information on Mycroft in S4.  Specifically what he did or did not know about Mary. 

We are shown that Sherlock is Mycroft's one pressure point and he knows that Sherlock's main pp is John.  Mycroft mentions keeping a casual eye on John during the Hiatis but knows without consulting anything where and when John will be having dinner that night.  You can not tell me he knew nothing about who John was involved with.

We've been told that S4 is going to be about consequences.  I believe that some of those consequences will be for Mycroft.  After the events of HLV I think some of the games Mycroft has been playing since S1 are going to come to a shattering conclusion.

To that end I absolutely think that the set design and lighting choices in Mycroft's office could be seen as foreshadowing of a kind.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 21, 2016 6:49 pm  #7

I wrote a little meta which I post here because it refers to (at least) series 3 and TAB. I had a closer look at the second modern scene in TAB and came up with this:

http://gosherlocked.tumblr.com/post/143165439481/hlv-and-tab-the-hospital-clue

April 21, 2016 10:21 pm  #8

SusiGo wrote:

I wrote a little meta which I post here because it refers to (at least) series 3 and TAB. I had a closer look at the second modern scene in TAB and came up with this:

http://gosherlocked.tumblr.com/post/143165439481/hlv-and-tab-the-hospital-clue

Interesting ideas there Susi!

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

April 22, 2016 1:53 pm  #9

I like your explanation of that scene, Susi.  I always wondered about it.  It would be weirdly clever if that little "throw-away" scene is the real "reality" and Sherlock never killed CAM. That means that John is still in danger.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

Board footera