BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 29, 2016 3:20 pm  #41

Re: John and Harry - possibly twins?

Martin as Harry, you all know that I can never unsee that again. 
Little aside: There's one possibility for identical twins to be a boy and a girl. If the girl has the Turner syndrome, that means only 45 chromosomes and only one x chromosome. Those are girls phenotypically. The pregnancy starts with two boys, the one losing the y chromosome on the way.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

February 29, 2016 5:16 pm  #42

I would love it too, but I really don't think this is going to happen...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 29, 2016 5:43 pm  #43

I had thought of these things that you guys mentioned...I don't know whether we're going totally overboard or not.

I was wondering about the one of them being trans and being identical twins.  I wondered for a while whether that could happen (Teagan and Sarah are twins, and both or gay, so wouldn't both have to be trans?), but then I remembered that Laverne Cox (a trans woman) has a twin brother (cis male) who played her character on Orange is the New Black pre-transition....so it can happen for one twin to be trans and the other not
If they wanted to make them identical twins, they could have Martin play her as a joke, or have it implied that one of them is trans.  As someone who reads Translock fanfiction (with either Sherlock, John, both, or other characters as trans), it could be cool to see that become canon...though it would probably have to be Harry out of the two siblings if anybody, or else, with medical advancements as they are from what I understand, John couldn't father a child.  At least not in a "traditional" way.  But trans or not, Martin could still play both if they so wanted to go that way.
But it's still an interesting idea.

I remember also seeing someone's theory on Tumblr a long time ago that Sophie Hunter might play Harry if the character were to appear (if for whatever plot reason we had that were to be possible).  That was a Johnlock becoming canon theory more than anything else, though, so I don't know how well it hold up otherwise.

It has already been mentioned that we might not see Harry at all because the equivalent character never appeared in the original stories.  It would depend on how much the writers want to stay with canon in that respect.  They have deviated or changed things in some ways, and have introduced other new characters, like Molly, Anderson, Sally...so maybe they could have Harry appear, too.  They've mentioned her more than once at this point, at least once per series, so that could be leading somewhere.

Clueing for looks.

February 29, 2016 6:08 pm  #44

Yes, I could even see it being a running joke that we never see Harry.  

I'm not sure I like the idea of Sophie Hunter, just because she doesn't really look much like Martin.   However, no reason why she should have to - they could just look different, or have different parents, or be adopted.  In fact adoption would be one way in which they could be the same age, but not twins.

February 29, 2016 6:51 pm  #45

Not being funny and I've never actually seen Sophie act...
But she'd have to be darn good to convince me she was John's sister.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 29, 2016 6:58 pm  #46

Well, I don't know how to convince you better or not.  We don't know anything about her personality except for the fact that she is not straight and struggles with alcoholism.  Though, I suppose since she doesn't look like she could be related to Martin it would seem odd.  Like I said, it wasn't really a theory about John's relationship with his sister.  It would seem like an odd choice to me, as well, unless she was adopted.

Clueing for looks.

February 29, 2016 8:25 pm  #47

I'm glad people are playing along with this

I was just thinking how Elementary has a trans Mrs Hudson. I haven't actually watched many shows with trans characters, I should fix that (I've heard Orange is the New Black is very good?)

If the writers did something like this, it would surely have to be a case of "Harry just happens to be trans" and not make a big deal of it, or else it would distract a bit from being a show about a detective!

Last edited by ukaunz (February 29, 2016 9:23 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 29, 2016 8:59 pm  #48

Quite.

Board footera