BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 1, 2016 8:27 pm  #41

Re: Comparing scenes in different adaptations

Huh...  I didn't know the clergy disguise was used in other versions too.  And the steepled fingers... I bet nearly everyone can think of Sherlock with that!  Hadn't seen pictures of those recent scenes from some of the older versions… neat.  And I also forgot something a number of posts back… when you guys were showing the neat pictures of all the similar train scenes, just as a neat tie-in, I love this affectionate 'nod' to it in the form of fan art:

"And Thus, Sherlock was Conceived"  by: http://rainfreckles.tumblr.com   
(big version   http://rainfreckles.tumblr.com/image/42450027419 )

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

March 1, 2016 8:43 pm  #42

These are all great.
Love that fanart tribute to Moftiss

Last edited by ukaunz (March 1, 2016 10:47 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 1, 2016 9:32 pm  #43

I like that one with Steven and Mark in place of the character in the train car...it is very fitting, I can just imagine them plotting! 

Clueing for looks.

March 2, 2016 12:49 pm  #44

Sherlock Holmes with Mrs. Hudson

March 2, 2016 1:57 pm  #45

Mrs. Hudson´s "violent hysterics" after she sees "ressurected Sherlock":

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 2, 2016 2:39 pm  #46

The master blackmailer, Charles Augustus Milverton, being shot by a mysterious woman, whose husband comitted suicide because of the rascal:

Sidney Paget:

Sherlock Holmes museum:

Granada:

Russian version:

In BBC version, the vengeful woman is merged with Sherlock´s client and is made innocent. Another vengeful woman takes her place in her rage over the possible loss of her husband. But that newcomer is so clumsy, she shoots Sherlock instead of the blackmailer:

And Sherlock has to finish her mess for her:

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 2, 2016 3:31 pm  #47

The deductions of the drunken person's watch (or cell phone). I believe the scene originally comes from "The Sign of Four." 

From the two-handler play, The Secret of Sherlock Holmes

Downey Jr. version

BBC Cumberbatch version from the original pilot and "A Study in Pink"

Last edited by BrettHolmes (March 2, 2016 4:59 pm)

March 2, 2016 4:34 pm  #48

Shooting the Wall

Granada version

Downey Jr. Version

BBC Cumberbatch version

Last edited by BrettHolmes (March 2, 2016 4:43 pm)

March 2, 2016 4:56 pm  #49

One of Benedict's best scenes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 2, 2016 8:47 pm  #50

Aw, nakahara, you beat me to it I didn't realise there was a Russian version of the scene.

Excellent work, BrettHolmes. I just had a look for the TAB version of the wallpaper to add to the collection, this is the best I could find. You can just see the "VR" if you look very carefully.

Last edited by ukaunz (March 2, 2016 8:48 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 3, 2016 12:24 am  #51

Yeah, I didn't notice that until now. Cool ! 

March 3, 2016 2:04 am  #52

That's cool, I hadn't seen that either (though I hadn't been looking for it, either). I haven't read that story yet, what does "VR" mean?

Clueing for looks.

March 3, 2016 2:09 am  #53

'Victoria Regina', basically…  as in Queen Victoria from Sherlock's period. 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

March 3, 2016 2:56 am  #54

It's from the opening paragraph of The Adventure of the Musgrave Ritual, which provides a wonderful description of the flat and Sherlock's untidy habits:

An anomaly which often struck me in the character of my friend Sherlock Holmes was that, although in his methods of thought he was the neatest and most methodical of mankind, and although also he affected a certain quiet primness of dress, he was none the less in his personal habits one of the most untidy men that ever drove a fellow-lodger to distraction. Not that I am in the least conventional in that respect myself. The rough-and-tumble work in Afghanistan, coming on the top of a natural Bohemianism of disposition, has made me rather more lax than befits a medical man who keeps his cigars in the coal-scuttle, his tobacco in the toe end of a Persian slipper, and his unanswered correspondence transfixed by a jack-knife into the very centre of his wooden mantelpiece, then I begin to give myself virtuous airs. I have always held, too, that pistol practice should be distinctly an open-air pastime; and when Holmes, in one of his queer humors, would sit in an arm-chair with his hair-trigger and a hundred Boxer cartridges, and proceed to adorn the opposite wall with a patriotic V. R. done in bullet-pocks, I felt strongly that neither the atmosphere nor the appearance of our room was improved by it.

Last edited by ukaunz (March 3, 2016 3:02 am)

March 3, 2016 5:05 pm  #55

Reunions between Holmes and Watson from "The Empty House" and "The Empty Hearse"

March 4, 2016 8:18 pm  #56

This thread is a gold mine for any Sherlock fan! 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

March 4, 2016 9:26 pm  #57

Yes it is

Oh, and I found a better shot of the TAB 221b set with the VR decoration of the wallpaper on Arwel's Twitter
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CcINoAAUAAAv2tD?format=pjpg&name=large

March 4, 2016 10:02 pm  #58

The perfume of some dangerous woman seems to be a reoccuring theme, starting with Basil Rathbone movies:

March 4, 2016 10:19 pm  #59

That is brilliant. I love the references

March 5, 2016 8:46 pm  #60

Deadly "five orange pips" originally appeared as a sinister Ku-Klux-Clan signs in ACD´s short story:

These little beacons of death then made their reappearance in Basil Rathbone movie "The House of Fear", where the gradually dwindling number of pips foretold the death of an individual members of the elderly bachelor´s organisation:

In "Sherlock", the five orange pips first featured in "The Great Game". They were transformed into the phone-pips and their dwindling number now indicated the number of tasks for Sherlock assigned to him by Moriarty:

In "The Abominable Bride", the pips returned in their original number and role as the beacons of death sent to the victim by a deadly organisation:

Last edited by nakahara (March 5, 2016 8:47 pm)

Board footera