BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 26, 2016 12:23 pm  #21

Re: Comparing scenes in different adaptations

The first episode of the Russian series also loosely adapted Black Peter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 26, 2016 12:40 pm  #22

Loving these!    I had no idea that "holding his knees" pose was associated with Sherlock.  I thought it was just something Ben did!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 26, 2016 3:00 pm  #23

I didn't know the pose went that far back, either.  I also never knew the harpoon thing was necessarily a canon reference, but then again I have only read a few of the original stories.

Clueing for looks.

February 26, 2016 3:38 pm  #24

Wow, so much great stuff in this thread! Several of these I didn't know either, like the knee pose and the lovely hand reference to the carriage drawing.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 27, 2016 1:53 pm  #25

I made a little comparison of "chess playing" situations with Granada's Sherlock Holmes, BBC Sherlock and my Eine Kleine Baker Street short.
These are animated gifs, full version is at my blog.

Last edited by ZuzaRitt (February 27, 2016 1:53 pm)

------------------------------------------------
Digital Sherlock creator
http://digitalsherlock.zuzaritt.com

February 27, 2016 2:09 pm  #26

Very nice

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

February 27, 2016 6:54 pm  #27

Facing off against C.A.M. at 221B

From "The Master Blackmailer" (A feature length film from the Granada series with Brett) and "His Last Vow"

Last edited by BrettHolmes (February 27, 2016 7:42 pm)

February 27, 2016 7:41 pm  #28

In "The Master Blackmailer" (as in the original story), Sherlock Holmes (disguised as a plumber) seduces Milverton's Housemaid to get information. In "His Last Vow', Sherlock also gets into a fake romance too but this time with Magnussen's secretary just so he could get into his office.

February 28, 2016 2:30 am  #29

Loving all of these… knew many of them, but so neat seeing the pictures together!  And holy wow… said that out loud at the similarity between the CAM illustration, and the Granada actor!      But…  aggh…  darn it, I was reminded of a wonderful one on someone's tumblr ages ago, that I can't find the link for again!  It was two columns of gifs, one BBC, one Brett's version.  BBC was the Great Game scene where John attempts to make deductions of the sneaker/trainer, with Sherlock quirking a smile, and the Brett version had them doing the same thing, with his Watson perplexed over a hat.  Google keeps giving me too many unrelated results, and not even sure if the tumblr description called it a sneaker or trainer or what, or what episode the other was from.     You can probably picture it, though!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

February 28, 2016 6:09 am  #30

I had no luck finding it either, here's the best I could do.

Sidney Paget's illustration for The Blue Carbuncle

Peter Cushing and Nigel Stock

Jeremy Brett and David Burke

John tries to deduce a shoe

I couldn't find a gif set or clip of John's shoe deduction, but you can watch the scene here starting at timestamp 19.50.

Or Watson's hat deductions

And Mycroft and Sherlock deducing the bobble hat in TEH.

I'm wondering if there is a similar scene in Elementary, with Joan Watson trying to deduce something and getting it wrong? I've watched the first two seasons but can't remember it particularly well.

Last edited by ukaunz (February 28, 2016 6:48 am)

February 28, 2016 10:38 pm  #31

Yes, that's the Brett clip, with the gifs having been from the first minute.  It was just sweet seeing them side by side… Holmes with that bemused smile, Sherlock with similar.  Watson frowning at the hat, John furrowing at the shoe.  You just get way too many unrelated results thanks to the keywords of sneaker, trainer, and their names.     Eh… maybe took it down.  And I know I remember similar from Elementary, but yeah, don't recall anything specific either!  Just Sherlock testing Joan in similar ways.

Aww, but the hat deduct-off!  Just like the story bit where Mycroft and Sherlock are people-watching at a window and try to best each other.  I don't know if they ever put that to screen for any older version?  And I curiously tried to see if there was a Paget illustration of such a scene, but didn't find.  I did find this, though…?

As it's from The Red-Headed League, I think that's the client and someone else, but I couldn't help but be reminded of the similar position of John and Sherlock at the table, with Sherlock reading the paper, and Mycroft standing off to the side.  I also saw this in the results… kinda cool Hound similarity:

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

February 29, 2016 12:49 am  #32

Thanks for your contributions everyone, this is such a fun thread

February 29, 2016 8:12 pm  #33

Oh and here is the classic “stakeout” scene from the Brett version of “The Speckled Band” and the one in “The Abominable Bride” that is very reminiscent of it.

Last edited by BrettHolmes (February 29, 2016 8:16 pm)

February 29, 2016 9:16 pm  #34

Yesssss

March 1, 2016 9:55 am  #35

Great observations, everyone!
That Specled Band scene really comes to mind when watching TAB´s Sherlock-John "dialogue in the dark".

Here´s another classic scene. Sherlock disguises as a clergyman and fakes being assaulted to infiltrate the lair of Irene Adler.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 1, 2016 12:49 pm  #36

tonnaree wrote:

Loving these!    I had no idea that "holding his knees" pose was associated with Sherlock.  I thought it was just something Ben did!

Another charming gesture associated with Sherlock is his famous finger-steeple/finger-tent, here portrayed by:

Sidney Paget:

Ian Richardson:

Peter Cushing:

Robert Downey:

Jeremy Brett:

Benedict Cumberbatch:

Spock:

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

March 1, 2016 12:55 pm  #37

Love Spock at the end too!  Thanks for that!   There are definitely some similarities between Spock and Sherlock, and both are compelling characters.

March 1, 2016 4:30 pm  #38

I love them both.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 1, 2016 5:42 pm  #39

Here is the epic confrontation between Sherlock Holmes and Moriarty at 221B. One is from the Sidney Paget drawing, the Brett version of The Final Problem and the other from "The Abominable Bride" that is also inspired by it. 

Last edited by BrettHolmes (March 1, 2016 5:43 pm)

March 1, 2016 8:15 pm  #40

The same confrontation from the Russian Livanov version, with the utterly scary Viktor Yevgrafov as Moriarty:

The Abominable Bride was actually a second confrontation in 221B Baker Street - the first onr happened in TRF, of course:

And of course, we can´t leave out Downey version:

Board footera