BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 23, 2016 4:55 pm  #61

Re: The Abominable Bride: Post Mortem - Cast/Creators interview

I'm not sure why they wouldn't want to reveal the plot to the actors until later.  I know they kept Mary's past secret from Amanda, which means that she must have filmed the first two episodes of S3 before she was even allowed to read the script for HLV.  If I hadn't heard that I would have assumed that they all had the scripts for all episodes before they started filming. 

Amanda did say she would have played it differently if she'd known who Mary was, and maybe that's what they were trying to avoid.  But, not being an actor myself, it strikes me as almost insulting to the actors' capabilities - acting is their job after all!  After all, if they were making a film, or staging a play come to that, the actors would know the outcome for their characters from the beginning, and hopefully that would not adversely affect their performance.  Maybe they just don't want to put extra pressure on the actors to have to keep a secret for ages (but then, there will still be quite a long time between filming and airing). 

I wondered if the secret Mark was talking about was Mycroft's death?  Partly because that's what's being talked about here (much as I've tried to avoid that discussion, because I don't want it to happen!), because it's Mark's character (i.e. he could have let something slip about not being in it any more) and because if he'd mentioned it, Benedict could have misunderstood and thought he was talking about the bets on Mycroft's death in TAB.

Last edited by Liberty (February 23, 2016 4:56 pm)

February 23, 2016 5:00 pm  #62

Yeah, I found it a bit weird too. J.K.Rowling did give Alan Rickman a very important hint about what agenda or motif Snape had for his actions. She didn't reveal every detail, just one small but very important thing - which made it so that Rickman would both understand his character's actions better and also flavor his acting in subtle ways. 

Anyway, that's slightly OT. Really looking forward to those three words myself! Then again, they might not really tell us much. For instance, "Rats" didn't really say anything about TEH.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 23, 2016 5:09 pm  #63

No but the love, fear and fall weren't so bad!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 23, 2016 5:18 pm  #64

Vhanja wrote:

I loved the interview, thanks for sharing! Some great stuff in it:

(One thing, though - why would Mark be upset about having told Ben something that would happen with Sherlok later on? I thought it would be a good thing for the main cast to know the gist of the journey for their character, as that might help them in the way they act and interpret their character).

Because Ben is a horrible liar!  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

February 23, 2016 5:19 pm  #65

tonnaree wrote:

Because Ben is a horrible liar!  

Lol, good point. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

February 23, 2016 5:25 pm  #66

I know what I was going to have one of my personal whinges about...
I can't even remember who the guilty person was in the interview...
But I know Benedict does it all the time and it drives me absolutely scatty(yes, I really have no life!)-
It's the saying "Sherlock and Watson", or "John and Holmes" thing.
It's Holmes and Watson, or Sherlock and John...don't mix them up!
It's like nails on the blackboard for me!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 23, 2016 8:12 pm  #67

Lol, yes, I notice that too! It seems a lot of people have more trouble saying "John" than "Sherlock", so it ends up as "Sherlock and Watson". 

Team Hudders!

February 25, 2016 8:15 pm  #68

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

February 25, 2016 8:16 pm  #69

Yep, that bit.
Literally crying laughing while watching Mark talk about it

Board footera