BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 11, 2016 5:14 pm  #41

Re: Redbeard theories post TAB

Well, there is a connection between Redbeard and pirates who in turn are associated with Sherlock's childhood. If Henry Knight associates his father's death with a dog, so may Sherlock with someone's death. And maybe there was a real dog who died but who is not at the root of the trauma. 

In HoB we also have a real dog and a murderer, i.e. Frankland. Something similar could apply to Sherlock. Of course it would not be the same story. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 11, 2016 6:03 pm  #42

I'm not sure how I feel about it.  On the one hand, I think it's a stretch that Sherlock would be so deeply and drastically affected by the loss of a childhood pet (so many people have had similar bereavements as children that it's almost a part of growing up).   On the other hand, I can possibly buy that the writers are describing a character who is hyper-sensitive, hyper-emotional and so needs and has learned to repress some feelings because he's so deeply affected. (And the way it was set up as a bit of a mystery always reminds me of "Rosebud" in Citizen Kane, so it makes sense that Redbeard would be something simple from Sherlock's childhood rather than some unusual, traumatic incident).

I do think they've left it open to present another story, and another meaning for Redbeard, though. 

Last edited by Liberty (March 11, 2016 6:04 pm)

April 13, 2016 5:28 pm  #43

Ok, has anyone thoght of Redbeard=Barbarossa? (Barbarossa ital.=beard red)
Maybe Redbeard has something to do with the medieval king Barbarossa. Barbarossa died very "un-kingly" by drowning in a river on his way to a crusade.
If Redbeard is more than just Sherlocks childhood dog, maybe this means Sherlock has witnessed someone drowning? (-> Back to Carl Powers). Also it got scary as I found out, that it is to this day unknown where Barbarossa was buried and there is a Grimm's short story about king Barbarossa, that he is waiting to return from the dead when the right time has come... 

Redbeard, Barbarossa and Grimm can be linked, wow, that is scary don't you think

- - -

Breathing is boring!

English isn't my first language, feel free to correct me via PM!

April 13, 2016 5:35 pm  #44

Interesting point. There is also this well-known legend: 

Barbarossa is not dead but has been enchanted and is sleeping deep in Kyffhäuser Mountain. His red beard keeps growing and growing around the table made of marble. Every 100 years he sends a boy outside to see if the ravens are still circling the mountain. He can only leave the mountain when they are gone. But they are still there and so he will to wait another 100 years. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 13, 2016 5:49 pm  #45

Sounds a bit more Merlin than Sherlock...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 13, 2016 7:36 pm  #46

OT but I really like the idea that Mark has a red beard, too. 

April 13, 2016 7:40 pm  #47

Redbeard, or red beard?!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 1, 2016 7:58 pm  #48

I think that Redbeard was an actual dog given to him by Sherrinford Holmes before he was murdered.  I also think that  Sherrinford was an older version of Mycroft. Much more intelligent than Sherlock and much more worried/emotional than Mycroft. Sherlock was always the least intelligent and the most emotional of the three. The most human and the most plain. The mother and the dead brother had the same levels of intelligence/sentimentality. She tried to cover up her work with the MI6 and to balance her life as a mother/wife/spy like Mary! Sherrinford gave the dog to Sherlock to train him as a pirate of ideas, as an investigator, as a sniffer of clues. Sherrinford was more a father figure than their own biological father to Sherlock because they shared the quirky deduction ability. Sherrinford was already in deep with the MI6 fighting his own Moriarty (perhaps Professor Moriarty). Sherlock was like baby Watson - a pawn, a weak link that could be exploited and used to destroy the real target (Sherrinford).  Mycroft has alway been the smart one because he has never allowed "the chemical on the losing side" to get between him and the intellectual goal.

Board footera