BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 17, 2016 7:38 am  #21

Re: Redbeard theories post TAB

Quite.
Which is why I was a tad surprised that somehow Sherlock has to be seen to focus on the dog, rather than the person.
So I don't know if Redbeard is connected to a lost person...I think Redbeard is the one who was lost.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 17, 2016 7:52 am  #22

I think the theories are quite plausible (certainly not ruling them out!), but I think "Redbeard was a dog" is backed up not just by the mind palace in HLV, but by the greenhouse scene (Sherlock mentions it when he hears a dog, during a conversation about why he chooses to be alone). 

It does seem to make Sherlock rather more emotional and sensitive than average, but that would make sense to me - it might be an overly emotional and sensitive Sherlock who really feels the need to suppress that side of himself, and put up a public front. 

January 18, 2016 6:38 am  #23

I was listening to an old Empire podcast interview with Mark and Steven post s3 but before TAB, and the subject of Redbeard came up, and this is what they said:

Gatiss: To be honest, I put [an explanation of Redbeard] into the first draft of episode two, and actually explained it – the reason that Sherlock was behaving like a child was because he’d once upon a time fallen for that story that your bunny rabbit has gone to live on a farm somewhere. And then we thought, ‘No, let’s hold it back because we can tease it a bit.’ And we genuinely thought, ‘We can keep this running for years.’ But then actually…

Moffat: It’s nice to have resolved it.

Gatiss: So the truth is that when he was little – and obviously Mycroft tormented him about it – is that his dog died, and he totally fell for the idea that Redbeard had gone to live in a happy valley somewhere.

Seems pretty straightforward, but then this is coming from two self-confessed liars who in the same interview very conspicuously changed the subject about The Other One when asked. And then we get another hint about Redbeard in TAB... Is it just going to be a running joke as they said, or is there something more to it... I think the latter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 18, 2016 6:46 am  #24

I think Redbeard is slightly different to The Other One.
We do actually see a dog, with Sherlock!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 18, 2016 7:04 am  #25

Yes we do see a dog but we haven't had the explanation given to us in the show, only in interviews such as this one... I'm waiting to see what will happen I guess. The fact that it was referred to in TAB makes me think there will be more to find out in s4. I can't believe it will be as simple as the explanation given in interviews, but they're not going to tell us if it's something more than that, are they?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 18, 2016 7:09 am  #26

To be honest, I've not even seen the interviews about Redbeard...I'm just going by what we are shown in the show.
We have never seen The Other One(yet)...but we have seen Redbeard.

January 18, 2016 7:24 am  #27

Actually, now that I've done some googling, I find out that they have alluded to what happened to Redbeard:

http://consulting-pathologist.tumblr.com/post/95650909132/gatiss-to-be-honest-i-put-an-explanation-of

So perhaps Bluebell was a parallel for Redbeard? And not only the mp scene in HLV (they're putting me down too), but also that Sherlock was being sent away to his death at the end, and John not realising - I hadn't connected that to Redbeard, but I'm slow to catch on sometimes

I think there might be more clues to the Other One that we haven't picked up on yet, but that's another topic...

January 18, 2016 7:27 am  #28

Quite.The only specific thing I've heard the team say is that it isn't necessarily another brother. 
Though in the context Mycroft said it, it would at least have to be a relative!
Uncle Rudi, maybe.

January 18, 2016 7:31 am  #29

I feel theimprobableone on John's blog might be a clue too...

January 18, 2016 7:43 am  #30

Yes, that is an interesting one, ukaunz. 

Besley, as for seeing a dog - we do indeed but this is in Sherlock's mind while he is dying. So it might be unreliable. Which does not mean that there has not been a real dog but it got associated with something else, another traumatic experience. For the life of me I cannot believe that Mycroft had the name in his notebook if it meant nothing but a beloved pet that died. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 18, 2016 7:54 am  #31

It's a classic Checkov's Gun clue, if you ask me!

January 18, 2016 8:24 am  #32

Yes, I agree. And I am very excited to see how they are going to use it later and what is true meaning will be. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 18, 2016 8:41 am  #33

Why Mycroft had the name in his notebook - well, he knows what it means to Sherlock.  And possibly, Sherlock is Redbeard to Mycroft at this point (he's being sent off to his death, and he's Mycroft's pressure point).  Not sure why that would make him write the name down as code to himself, but just speculating!

January 18, 2016 4:45 pm  #34

I think it means: warning, emotional trauma.

January 18, 2016 7:00 pm  #35

Yes, just wondering why he'd need to remind himself! 

January 18, 2016 7:09 pm  #36

Well, he forgets his little brother has emotions!

January 26, 2016 10:30 pm  #37

Mothonthemantel wrote:

I think in Mycrofts note book the references are to deaths that affected Sherlock , Redbeard his dog , Vernet his grandmother , the red herring as Irenes faked death and Sherlocks faked sentiment over that, and then the puzzling mathematical matrix which maybe -the other one.

Oh, I like that!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

March 11, 2016 11:29 am  #38

I just read something on tumblr which provides interesting evidence for the theory that Redbeard is not or not just a real dog but a substitute for a traumatic childhood experience, e.g. the death of the other one. Because we know how the writers love their parallels and in HoB we get this line about Henry Knight:

"Childhood trauma masked by an invented memory." 

Which would be an apt description of what might have happened with Sherlock. 

March 11, 2016 2:15 pm  #39

SusiGo wrote:

I just read something on tumblr which provides interesting evidence for the theory that Redbeard is not or not just a real dog but a substitute for a traumatic childhood experience, e.g. the death of the other one. Because we know how the writers love their parallels and in HoB we get this line about Henry Knight:

"Childhood trauma masked by an invented memory." 

Which would be an apt description of what might have happened with Sherlock. 

I love that idea.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

March 11, 2016 5:09 pm  #40

But then why that particular word? And always associated with a dog?

Board footera