BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 4, 2016 4:24 pm  #1

"You see but you do not observe" - Early Clues That It Wasn't Real

There's actually quite a few:

- Holmes playing the wedding waltz that he played at John & Mary's wedding whilst Victorian Watson & Mary are arguing in the living room
- The fact that he talked about having a case before he'd even been given one in the narrative "A very old one"
- The misuse of pronouns in the morgue
- Redbeard
- "After all, this is the 19th Century" - very self aware!
- The dagger having the "miss me" note
- Mycroft suddenly acquiring the "miss me" note
- Mycroft getting fatter overnight
- "Where do you pick up these extraordinary expressions?" ie. not Victorian
- "You're in deep, Sherlock, deeper than you ever intended to be....have you made a list?"
"I haven't finished yet."
- S: "You chose to come here"
M: "That's not true, you know that's not true."

Any others?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 4, 2016 5:02 pm  #2

Re: "You see but you do not observe" - Early Clues That It Wasn't Real

Using a flashlight to go after the ghost, while John is trying to keep a candle lit.

"Oh, you meant 'spectacularly ignorant' in a NICE way."

January 4, 2016 5:02 pm  #3

- The use of the word "crime scene" and Mycroft commenting on it
- Mycroft saying "virus in the hard drive"

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 4, 2016 7:35 pm  #4

"Virus in the hard drive" was the big tip-off for me.  Knew that there was something afoot/askew from that point on. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 4, 2016 7:58 pm  #5

I had the theory that it was a mind palace thing from the start... my first definite clue was when Mycroft pointed out Sherlock's use of 'Crime scene'.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 4, 2016 8:13 pm  #6

If you pay really close attention there are many times you can catch the sound of being inside an airplane during scenes in the MP.  Sometimes it's almost subliminal.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 4, 2016 8:17 pm  #7

I wish my hearing was better... but I'll try to do my best noticing that the next time I get a chance to watch it... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 4, 2016 8:25 pm  #8

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

I wish my hearing was better... but I'll try to do my best noticing that the next time I get a chance to watch it... 

Try turning it way up and closing your eyes when you think you hear it. 

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

January 4, 2016 8:26 pm  #9

That was my plan. I am going to wear down my DVD when it arrives... I wan to test the episode in every possible way! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

January 5, 2016 8:08 am  #10

I guess some things could be called clues, others could just be references to the modern version. Redbeard for example was just a reference to me first. But the very first scene with Mary where Sherlock is deducing her and mentions the perfume and says to John "...which brings insight to me and desaster to you" - that immediately made me go "Wait a minute!". 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 5, 2016 8:33 am  #11

tonnaree wrote:

If you pay really close attention there are many times you can catch the sound of being inside an airplane during scenes in the MP.  Sometimes it's almost subliminal.  

Really? I didn't notice that. Hm......
There is a moment when victorian Sherlock talks to Mycroft (the scene without John) and he inhales (or exhales) quite sharp. Until now I couldn't hear if it really was him or a soundeffect.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 5, 2016 10:43 am  #12

The first thing was the kind of corny introduction with the recap of previous episodes.   That was unexpected - why would we need that, especially if the new Victorian story seemed to be starting from the beginning?   I was puzzled about why they did that when I saw it, but looking back, it was the first big clue.

January 5, 2016 8:02 pm  #13

I love this thread. I think the biggest clue was that Holmes talks about the case before Lestrade walks in, so he couldn't really have done that. 

I think most clues I saw, you already covered but I've got one more:

When Mycroft talks about paranoia, Watson says: 'sounds Serbian.' Serbia didn't exist at that time. 

And did you guys get: 'the virus in the data?'

January 5, 2016 8:47 pm  #14

Serbia had existed as an independent kingdom since 1882. Nevertheless I took it as a clue since there was the Serbian connection from TEH. 

Another one: 
The walls shaking in the Moriarty scene. Reminded me strongly of "Inception". 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 5, 2016 8:56 pm  #15

Attention:  Now that you've seen TAB, any of you who haven't seen Inception, DO IT!!!!!

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

January 5, 2016 8:57 pm  #16

John's clothing in the train changing to chequered shirt and jacket for a moment.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 8, 2016 2:15 pm  #17

And the earliest clue was in the titles, with switch from black&white to colour.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

January 8, 2016 2:18 pm  #18

I guess Sherlock in the prison cell as John and Mike walk into the morgue was the first big clue.?

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 8, 2016 4:31 pm  #19

Yes, opening titles were a bit of a mix, I was wondering what was the meaning of it.
Was it Sherlock in the prison cell or Sherlock in the modern morgue? I noticed there was a person in modern garb, but it was so fast and I couldn't see it clearly.

January 9, 2016 10:19 am  #20

I missed any prison connection. Have to watch again. 

Thanks Susi, I didn't know about Serbia, I thought it only formed after the fall of Yugoslavia. But indeed still an odd reference for Watson to make. 'Sounds French' would have made more sense.

The shaking: yeah, that's when I knew we weren't in reality. Also really neat how the sound changes into the sound of the plane. 

I've got another one, not related to the mind palace twist but to the case: Sir Eustache's fainting when he sees the bride. Fainting under stress was a bit of a trope in ACD's stories but IRL people don't faint when they are under stress (unless you suffer from nacolepsy or something). In fact, we get a shot of adrenaline and quite the opposite of fainting happens. So him fainting is a clue that Lady Carmichael isn't a reliable narrator!

Board footera