BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 4, 2016 12:31 am  #1

Sherlock cinema screening

how many people went to the cinema to watch Sherlock 

January 4, 2016 9:54 am  #2

Re: Sherlock cinema screening

I'd love to, but alas, no such thing in my neck of the woods.

-----
"The posh boy loves the dominatrix." Context matters.

January 4, 2016 11:23 am  #3

I was lucky enough to be able to go, Denmark got on the list pretty much last minute after some campaigning. It was well worth it!

I hope the extra stuff gets released somehow for those who weren't so lucky  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 4, 2016 12:52 pm  #4

I see it in the theater tomorrow night.     Looking forward to experiencing Sherlock with a large audience.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 5, 2016 7:07 pm  #5

*dances!*   I get to go tonight!  (and was lucky enough to join up with a neighbor over the weekend who had, indeed, recorded it since I missed it.  would have been so lost and terrible, just terrible, to have not gotten to watch it at home first to absorb everything, you know.....)   
(and goodness, all the posts from you guys since...!  spoiled!  diving in and catching up... so amazing having all of this again!)     

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

January 5, 2016 7:10 pm  #6

Enjoy, Russell, dear!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

January 5, 2016 7:17 pm  #7

I got to see it in the cinema in New Plymouth, NZ. It was a full house and the audience all seemed to enjoy it, judging by the laughter at the funny moments as well as gasps and murmurs at others.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 5, 2016 7:33 pm  #8

Lilythiell wrote:

Enjoy, Russell, dear!!

That's a no-brainer, of course...      But watching it at the theater tonight with a friend who also missed it on tv (but wasn't lucky like me to have a neighbor with a dvr)?  I'm going to have to watch myself with excitedly pointing things out to them!  ;D

And it's so cool being able to watch it in that setting, too!  The same friend and I went to the Doctor Who christmas special they also did last week, and it wasn't really a packed house like I thought, but still a neat big group, of all ages, sharing the fan experience!  Lucky you, those of you who not only got to go, but to have a full house/animated group like that.....   

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

January 6, 2016 1:15 pm  #9

Tobe and I saw it last night at the cinema.  This made it our 3rd viewing - two on the TV screen and now the big screen. The show was supposed to start at 7:30 but after two rounds of the same Sherlock trivia questions and some Fathom Events and BBC ads it finally started around 8:00. (BTW, one of those trivia questions was incorrect and it drove us nuts. Did any of you see the one concerning the Blind Banker and the song on Moriarty's phone?).  We also laughed at the cinema complex billing the show as "Sherlock - The Abom" 

Our designated theater in the complex was one of the smaller ones but the show was sold out.  It was a diverse group - young and old. No one rowdy.  Appropriate laughter, applause at the end.  Tobe was much taken with the new comfy theater seats that recline

It was lovely to see TAB on the big screen.  It translated beautifully. The more I see it, the more I realize just how well done and clever to the hilt this production is.  I'm very much in awe of the creativity, the detail and the talent. I swear the Mofftiss could lead me almost anywhere and I will go happily  . As a true blue Johnlocker I might have wanted a "little more" from that angle but I certainly was taken with Sherlock wrestling with his "Moriarty dark-side" and all that phallic eroticism in 221B

I loved the behind the scenes stuff at the end.  I enjoyed Martin talking about the Nigel Bruce approach and I liked hearing about Benedict's skepticism on the time travel element when the script was first pitched to him (Oh no! Not Doctor Who!)- then his realization how brilliant it all was and how it would work.

Happy to be going again tonight. Last night I caught more references to lines found in the first 3 series.  Sure to catch more tonight!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 6, 2016 1:30 pm  #10

Very well said, KP! :-)  Just one little thing: We didn't make the aquaintance of the "Blind Banker" but of the abominable "Blind BAKER" which could be dangerous concerning his baking skills...  Anyway, looking very much forward to meeting the "Abom" again tonight! :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

January 6, 2016 1:50 pm  #11

I was thinking of you two last night Tobe/KP.  I was amused that we were all in a theater at the same time.  We were together in spirit!

Question:  In the interviews after, did you catch anything that struck you as suspicious?  I did and I'm dying to talk about it but not sure if I should in the open forum.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

January 7, 2016 4:43 am  #12

Hey tonnaree.  Tobe and I were at the cinema again tonight and tried to catch the part you found "suspicious" in the interviews. Not sure we know what part you are talking about.  Feel to free to PM me and let me know what struck you.  Happy to discuss.

A couple of things I noticed tonight.  In the opening scenes of Watson on the battlefield, I thought I caught the sounds of a helicopter as he was dragged off by Murray and then that sound resolved into the clip-clop of horses hooves on Baker Street.  We did hear the plane sounds you mentioned when they were first on the train and then it resolved back to the train and the train whistle. When Eustace met the bride in the maze she tilted her head to the right.  Moriarty did the same when he revealed himself in Baker Street.  John leaving his post in the Carmichael Manor reminded me so much of him leaving Soo Lin in the museum which thereby lead to her death.  In TAB Sherlock is very angry that John left his post and blames both of them for botching the Eustace case leading to his murder.  Another call-back to Blind Banker was when they bump into each other at the bottom of the stairs.

And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 7, 2016 5:00 am  #13

KeepersPrice wrote:

Tobe and I saw it last night at the cinema. This made it our 3rd viewing - two on the TV screen and now the big screen. The show was supposed to start at 7:30 but after two rounds of the same Sherlock trivia questions and some Fathom Events and BBC ads it finally started around 8:00. (BTW, one of those trivia questions was incorrect and it drove us nuts. Did any of you see the one concerning the Blind Banker and the song on Moriarty's phone?).

Happy to be going again tonight. Last night I caught more references to lines found in the first 3 series. Sure to catch more tonight!

Wait -- What Sherlock trivia questions?!?  I saw it in a theater last night (Jan 5) but the only special features were the 221B tour before the movie and the interviews afterwards.  Did the theater here not show something?  Because, actually, I thought for some reason there was supposed to be three special features but when I only saw two, figured I'd been mistaken.

Anyway, I very much enjoyed seeing it a second time on a big screen.  I'll be watching it again on a large-screen TV this weekend as someone DVR'ed it for me and she and I will watch it together.  It's really helpful to read all the comments on this board and then go watch it!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

January 7, 2016 12:19 pm  #14

As for the Trivia questions.  The theater I was in had flashcards on the screen before the actual event started.  But they looked "official" for whatever that is worth.  There were just a few.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

January 7, 2016 12:20 pm  #15

PS.  KeepersPeace.  The suspicious part for me was when Mark was interviewing Amanda.  He ask what her favorite part of shooting Sherlock was and she blurted out "the pool scene."!

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

January 7, 2016 1:46 pm  #16

Well, Amanda Abbington pretty much confirmed that on Twitter yesterday... (re. pool scene)

Last edited by TheOtherOne (January 7, 2016 1:46 pm)

January 7, 2016 2:30 pm  #17

You mean this tweet:

https://twitter.com/CHIMPSINSOCKS/status/684766659744296961

very interesting indeed

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 7, 2016 2:33 pm  #18

That tweet is making me nuts!  Would she actually confirm something that important so blatantly???

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

January 7, 2016 2:46 pm  #19

Yeah, I wonder about that,too. Wouldn't Mark have intervened at this point. But when she said it in the Behind the scene footage after the film and they didn't cut it.... ? So maybe it's a joke or the information isn't important for the story anymore but I mean would be interesting to see when Sherlock and John hear about it, Sherlock may knows or not, but I don't think John does. Well and he distroyed her USB stick.

EDIT: She knows Mark long enough she knows how that "spread information game" works

Last edited by Ivy (January 7, 2016 2:47 pm)

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 7, 2016 2:56 pm  #20

That Twitter thing is very interesting. My senses did peak a bit when she mentioned the pool! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

Board footera