BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 3, 2016 8:40 pm  #1

Symbolism in TAB

Near the 50 minutes mark, when Sherlock and Mycroft have a talk, I notice that the “windows” are shaped in the form of half a heart –which could lead to suggest that the Holmes brothers, despite their continued protestations that they don’t feel, and certainly not for each other, do in fact have emotions.
I'm well aware this has been established by the end of the episode, I'm just talking about the symbolism here.

The fact that the scene is shot in semi-darkness suggests that what they are discussing is of grave importance –Moriarty, and Sherlock’s drug addiction, as evidenced by “the list”. However, such a gloomy and oppressive atmosphere is lightened somewhat by the light showing through the windows, a piece of evidence I chose to interpret as there being hope still –for both these matters.

Do you agree? What other piece of symbolism have caught your eye?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

January 3, 2016 9:37 pm  #2

Re: Symbolism in TAB

I noticed that while John and Mary were quarrelling in Baker Street scene, Sherlock was playing a melody he composed for their wedding in TSOT on his violin. And the melody which symbolises the "harmony" of their marriage gets violently broken when Sherlock gets fed up with their bickering and stops playing.

This marriage is definitely not a happy one.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 3, 2016 9:56 pm  #3

Interesting point about the hearts - earlier, Sherlock brings up the subject of Mycroft's missing heart ... and of course, there's Moriarty's line in another episode about cutting the heart out of him. 

I feel there must be something more to Mary first appearing in mourning.   I know on the surface she needs an outfit/disguise that involves a veil/face covering, so she's probably limited to bride or widow (or beekeeper?) - maybe that's all it is, along with a set up for the "brides" using a similar disguise.   But I feel I'm looking for something else there too.

There were some other things that struck me but that aren't coming to mind right now!  I'm sure I'll come back to this thread.

January 3, 2016 10:04 pm  #4

nakahara wrote:

I noticed that while John and Mary were quarrelling in Baker Street scene, Sherlock was playing a melody he composed for their wedding in TSOT on his violin. And the melody which symbolises the "harmony" of their marriage gets violently broken when Sherlock gets fed up with their bickering and stops playing.

This marriage is definitely not a happy one.

Agreed. I'd like to add that Sherlock seems to still be mourning John's abandonment.

Oh, and speaking of abandonment, would Mary's mourning disguise represent his own? She took John with her and Sherlock ended up alone and bereft?

"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

January 3, 2016 10:11 pm  #5

I don't know - at the beginning John and Sherlock seem more of a couple, and Mary seems sidelined.  Later Sherlock feels abandoned, but John and Mary make up, and Sherlock and John are "together" ("there's always two of us") at the waterfall.  So I don't think it's that.

I bet you're right, Swanpride - it'll be a reference to a story. 

January 3, 2016 10:23 pm  #6

There is the elephant in the room (falling to the floor). People cramming food, guns, and pipes into their mouths. Moriarty eating dust = cells of Sherlock's body. The maze. And I am sure there is much more to analyse. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 3, 2016 10:26 pm  #7

There's probably nothing behind it, but what about John's moustache?

January 4, 2016 12:37 am  #8

SusiGo wrote:

There is the elephant in the room (falling to the floor). People cramming food, guns, and pipes into their mouths. Moriarty eating dust = cells of Sherlock's body. The maze. And I am sure there is much more to analyse. 

I hate that freaking elephant.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 4, 2016 1:40 am  #9

What do you make of Moriarty , lifting the veil , and turning into Mary ?
It is true that the ghost bride has many connections with Moriarty, yet , at the end , the veil is lifted to Moriarty  saying your not making sense etc that warps into Mary saying your not making sense etc.
Exact same dialog x 2
In the end .
Moriarty turns into Mary.
And.
John has to kick her off TRF.

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 4, 2016 8:55 am  #10

Excellent observations, Moth. It could be indeed an outlook to series 4, us learning that Mary has a connection to Moriarty after all. It would explain a lot of things, last not least the fact of her meeting John Watson at all. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 4, 2016 8:56 pm  #11

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 4, 2016 8:58 pm  #12

Molly´s male disguise can symbolise her inner strength hidden behind a cute visage:

January 4, 2016 10:17 pm  #13

What do you guys think this symbolizes?

*giggles madly*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 4, 2016 10:22 pm  #14

I don't think there's much left to interpretation, is there?

January 4, 2016 10:22 pm  #15

Licking ice-cream? 

January 4, 2016 10:33 pm  #16

nakahara wrote:

Not exactly symbolism, but an interesting observation:
http://cumberfoil.tumblr.com/post/136553891104/nixxie-fic-a-matter-of-victorian-hat-etiquette

Yes, indeed.
Ah, Victorian etiquette...*sigh*

As for the licking of an ice-cream...

And to go back to the symbolism behind that particular action of Moriarty, could it be interpreted as nothing short of a sexual assault on Moriarty's part...? That kind of action is more than suggestive, and if put in context of the Victorian era, where everything had its codes, this wielding of a firearm is all the more violent.

The fact that Sherlock associates Moriarty (that is to say, danger) and firearms (dangers again) with sex is yet another hint to Sherlock's fear of acknowledging his sexuality.

Might I add that acknowledging his feelings and acknowledging his sexuality are two different things. He has after all already acknowledged his deepest feeling towards someone at that someone's wedding, shared them with said someone, and confirmed them on the tarmac.
Once both feelings and sexuality are acknowledged, I reckon all hell will break loose.

Last edited by Lilythiell (January 4, 2016 10:41 pm)

January 4, 2016 10:44 pm  #17

John's tie pin . Red for the first few scenes and then blue. Red for Mary , Blue for Sherlock ?

Hehe tonnaree the guns were so very obvious , but lol when questioned on sexuality Sherlock asks to be passed a revolver!

Last edited by Mothonthemantel (January 4, 2016 10:45 pm)

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 5, 2016 8:57 am  #18

Mothonthemantel wrote:

What do you make of Moriarty , lifting the veil , and turning into Mary ?
It is true that the ghost bride has many connections with Moriarty, yet , at the end , the veil is lifted to Moriarty  saying your not making sense etc that warps into Mary saying your not making sense etc.
Exact same dialog x 2
In the end .
Moriarty turns into Mary.
And.
John has to kick her off TRF.

Wait, I did miss something here. Can you explain or show a screenshot?

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 5, 2016 9:05 am  #19

I think Moth means that once Moriarty has left the veil from his face, the next scene show him and Mary to share similarities (same dialogue).
Moriarty and Mary being the same person, when Watson kicks him off the precipice, he actually kicks Mary.

Did I understand right?

January 5, 2016 3:18 pm  #20

Yes lily and Matt and Susie posted some pics now of the scene in the other thread.
In the scene Moriarty comes in as the ghost bride and Sherlock calls her Lady Carmichael .
Just the same as when he called Mary Lady Smallwood  in HLV .
The viel lifts and at first its Moriarty saying your not making sense Sherlock your dreaming etc
The scene warps and becomes Mary on the plane saying your not making sense Sherlock your dreaming etc.
From other scenes its clear in Sherlocks mind that he fears being alone and one of the similarities of Mary and Moriarty are that they both seperated him from John.
Sherlock has already dealt with Moriarty but he cant deal with Mary ,even though in Sherlocks mind the mariage seems doomed , John has to do that.
Symbolically John kicking Moriarty off the cliff is John ending things with Mary.
Sherlock acknowledging John is very smart and John knowing when he is in a story may be a hint that a plan is already in motion.

Last edited by Mothonthemantel (January 5, 2016 3:21 pm)

Board footera