BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 2, 2016 5:20 pm  #1

Mycroft's notebook

I guess we could use a seperate thread to discuss that page in Mycroft's notebook, don't you think?
First of all, I'll include the pic we've already had in the other thread to know what we're talking about:

Secondly, I'll leave a link to a page were some people already started to discuss a couple of things (some really interesting ideas there...):
https://www.reddit.com/r/Sherlock/comments/3z35sb/spoiler_mycrofts_notebook/

And the let me just throw out some thoughts of my own:
1. The notebook: is it the same we saw in ASiP...? Could it be that Mycroft owns a notebook just for everything concerning his little brother? Wouldn't that be just... aaawwww.
2. Mathematics: Mrs. Holmes is a mathematician, right? Could this also have something to do with her?

Actually, I have no idea what it's all about. There are various things on this one page which seemingly don't have much to do with one another, at least not at first sight. Maybe someone else has some ideas?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 2, 2016 5:30 pm  #2

Re: Mycroft's notebook

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 2, 2016 5:38 pm  #3

I wonder if "Vernet" might be referring to this Neil Gaiman story?   The character "Sherry Vernet" (Holmes?) apparently devised magic lantern effects for use in theatre.  These sort of effects (projection using glass) were used by the women in Sherlock's mind palace, to create the ghost.  (It turns out that the name Vernet is also in "The Greek Interpreter, but the magic lantern story seems more relevant.   The Neil Gaiman story is here). 

Last edited by Liberty (January 2, 2016 5:58 pm)

January 2, 2016 5:39 pm  #4

Thanks for that link, Susi!
In the link I left they also talk about that number 611174 and are connecting it to a disease that affects certain breeds of dogs, "canine lupus". Redbeard belongs to one of those breeds. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 2, 2016 6:26 pm  #5

I'm in awe of the collective Fandom Mind Palace!

January 2, 2016 6:42 pm  #6

I don't know about the things that are written. Maybe he's writing in codes that no one would understand (except Sherlock, obviously. And maybe Mary) because all the informations he keeps in there about Sherlock could be used against Sherlock (and against Mycroft, at the same time) if they fell in "dangerous" hands...

I have no problem imagining Mycroft keeping a notebook about Sherlock. I can actually picture him having a whole cupboard full of notebooks containing informations about Sherlock throughout the years and that the key to the cupboard is kept in a secret place... Mycroft loves Sherlock so much and he wants to protect him so bad...

He even kept a file on John when Sherlock was away. So yeah, I guess he owns not one notebook, but many of them!

Last edited by Punch me in the face (January 2, 2016 6:44 pm)

Just like old times...

January 2, 2016 6:58 pm  #7

Vernet is the name of the French painter that they're supposed to be related to. It's in a canon story but I don't remember which one. 

The matrix: someone in the other thread thought it was related to the theory of special relativity or something? Seems like something for Mycroft to doodle about relativity theory in his free time. 

January 2, 2016 7:00 pm  #8

I mentioned it above, Silverblaze: The Greek Interpreter. 

"In your own case," said I, "from all that you have told me, it seems obvious that your faculty of observation and your peculiar facility for deduction are due to your own systematic training.""To some extent," he answered thoughtfully. "My ancestors were country squires, who appear to have led much the same life as is natural to their class. But, none the less, my turn that way is in my veins, and may have come with my grandmother, who was the sister of Vernet, the French artist. Art in the blood is liable to take the strangest forms.""But how do you know that it is hereditary?""Because my brother Mycroft possesses it in a larger degree than I do."

But I also like the reference to magic lanterns and ghostly special effects in the Gaiman story! 

Last edited by Liberty (January 2, 2016 7:04 pm)

January 2, 2016 10:11 pm  #9

silverblaze wrote:

The matrix: someone in the other thread thought it was related to the theory of special relativity or something? Seems like something for Mycroft to doodle about relativity theory in his free time. 

Yeah, it might not necessarily be a notebook ABOUT Sherlock. Just...a notebook. In which he scribbles down all kinds of random thoughts and theories that come to his amazing mind, including things about his little brother, but also including lots of other random things as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 3, 2016 1:01 pm  #10

Liberty wrote:

I mentioned it above, Silverblaze: The Greek Interpreter. 

"In your own case," said I, "from all that you have told me, it seems obvious that your faculty of observation and your peculiar facility for deduction are due to your own systematic training.""To some extent," he answered thoughtfully. "My ancestors were country squires, who appear to have led much the same life as is natural to their class. But, none the less, my turn that way is in my veins, and may have come with my grandmother, who was the sister of Vernet, the French artist. Art in the blood is liable to take the strangest forms.""But how do you know that it is hereditary?""Because my brother Mycroft possesses it in a larger degree than I do."

But I also like the reference to magic lanterns and ghostly special effects in the Gaiman story! 

Thanks, and sorry for repeating you. I guess I didn't read properly.

January 3, 2016 2:26 pm  #11

Very, very interesting ponderings about the notebook. I so appreciate how clever this fandom is! 

I'd say it would be very likely that Mycroft would keep a notebook written in code... especially for more sensitive things. I bet a lot of people would love to get their hands on his notes... and Mycroft wouldn't take a chance like that, would he? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 3, 2016 3:11 pm  #12

Yes, but I also think that the notes are readable on a purpose. Even if it's only a red herring

Last edited by JP (January 3, 2016 5:42 pm)

January 3, 2016 3:43 pm  #13

I do hope we get to see their French family. And Mycroft speaking French (Cherche la femme!) may have been another clue. 

January 3, 2016 3:45 pm  #14

That would be fabulous!
Was Uncle Rudi part of that branch of the family?!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 3, 2016 3:49 pm  #15

They could work on their French, though.
"Cherche la femme" is not the same as "cherchez la femme" (the way he said it).

Just a slight mispronunciation, I'm sure. It's really not important, but it bugs me. I'm French and I had trouble understanding -for a few seconds- that he was saying "Cherche" and not "cherchez".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

January 3, 2016 3:57 pm  #16

I always thought Benedict said it wrong in HOB, too!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 3, 2016 4:04 pm  #17

Lilythiell wrote:

They could work on their French, though.
"Cherche la femme" is not the same as "cherchez la femme" (the way he said it).

Just a slight mispronunciation, I'm sure. It's really not important, but it bugs me. I'm French and I had trouble understanding -for a few seconds- that he was saying "Cherche" and not "cherchez".

I had no idea what he said, except that it was French.  I guess it must have been the pronunciation, because if French is pronounced properly I can understand it very well.
I forget, who does he say it to? Because "Cherchez" would be weird if he was talking to someone like John, unless he somehow thinks he needs to address John with utmost politeness, lol!

Clueing for looks.

January 3, 2016 4:16 pm  #18

"cherche la femme" is Mycroft's line to Sherlock in the cemetery as they are about to dig the grave ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

January 3, 2016 4:19 pm  #19

I thought I'd remembered him saying cherchez, but I thought I misremembered because he was addressing Sherlock, that's why I wrote cherche. It's probably just a mistake, French declinations aren't so easy for us foreigners.

January 3, 2016 4:21 pm  #20

So what is it Sherlock says in HOB?
'Cherche le chien 'or something?

Board footera