BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 2, 2016 1:12 pm  #161

Re: The Abominable Bride (for those who have seen it)

So you would like to see her as all-powerful Mycroft-like genius, following in his footsteps? Handing out cases to Sherlock and Hubby whenever she needs them? Yuck. (Because this was the scenario I was talking about). 

Last edited by SusiGo (January 2, 2016 1:13 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 2, 2016 1:17 pm  #162

besleybean wrote:

.To me, she and John really love each other and have an earthy honest relationship...it's all banter. Not lovey dovey romantic staring into each others eyes...yuk.
!

Pre-assassin reveal, I agree with you. I love their banter and have no doubt that John did indeed truly care for - and maybe even loved - Mary. And I am quite convinced she did - and probably still do - the same.

However, I do think there is a bit more to it than that now. I do think John still struggles with who she was and what she did, and he is certainly not happy with his domestic life in HLV. However, my biggest point would be that Martin himself has said that for the future, the Watson household will certainly not be one of domestic bliss and calm. 

Anyway, probably slightly off-topic.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 2, 2016 1:18 pm  #163

@Susi 1. I never wanted Mary in the show and have always said so. But I knew she would be and I accept her. I do want her to leave. But if they decide to keep her in, I can live with that. I think she's modern and funny and sassy and clever. She loves John and likes Sherlock and respects their bond.
2. I do not want Mycroft to go and really hope they do not make this editorial decision. If they do it because of some feminista lobby to make Mary a stronger female character, I will be even less happy.

@Vhanja. Martin could be referring to any number of different things. But anyway, relationships are difficult. Hell, John learned that friendship with Sherlock was difficult, a marriage is a whole new level. He must have found the unveiling of Mary very difficlt, that coupled with an unplanned pregnancy. But I have never doubted they love each other.

Last edited by besleybean (January 2, 2016 1:21 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 2, 2016 1:19 pm  #164

In the 1895 scenes, however, she does not seem to respect their bond. Which is Sherlock's subconscious talking. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 2, 2016 1:22 pm  #165

As I saw it, she was more frustrated that she was expected to be happy with staying at home and cooking dinner for them while Sherlock and John are of having fun on adventures, simply because of her gender. So she did her own thing, which lead to Watson's frustration (as that wasn't what women were supposed to be doing in Victorian times). 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

January 2, 2016 1:23 pm  #166

Sorry@ Susi, can you cite a reference for me on that last point again(maybe I missed something) I'm not quite getting the 'not respecting the bond' thing.
@Vhanja... I agree.

Last edited by besleybean (January 2, 2016 1:24 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 2, 2016 1:28 pm  #167

Well, she is clearly very displeased with John constantly running around with Sherlock and letting her sit at home. With them not taking her to the morgue and John telling her what a woman's place in those times is. He is close to Sherlock and spends more time with him than with her so that she has to take pose as a client. And, again, John does not recognise her by her perfume although he is living under the same roof with her. Not exactly proof of a close marital bond. 

January 2, 2016 1:29 pm  #168

@Swanpride...if there was the facility to  'like' your post, I would!
@ Susi: Well I tend to think the modern version is more important...there the realtionship is close enough to involve a pregnancy.

Last edited by besleybean (January 2, 2016 1:30 pm)

January 2, 2016 1:33 pm  #169

SusiGo wrote:

Well, she is clearly very displeased with John constantly running around with Sherlock and letting her sit at home. With them not taking her to the morgue and John telling her what a woman's place in those times is. He is close to Sherlock and spends more time with him than with her so that she has to take pose as a client. And, again, John does not recognise her by her perfume although he is living under the same roof with her. Not exactly proof of a close marital bond. 

Exactly! The points I've bolded out are the reasons I see for her behavior and frustrations. And Watson is a man of his times, so he reacts badly to her "antics". I think that is the basis of their struggling in the Victorian times.

Team Hudders!

January 2, 2016 1:35 pm  #170

@ Vhanja. I concur.

January 2, 2016 2:02 pm  #171

SolarSystem wrote:

Here goes my theory concerning Mycroft and Mary (and I know it's early in the game for such theories, but it's what came to my mind almost immediately after watching TAB):
As I've said before today, I'm pretty sure Mycroft is going to die in S4. They made so clear now how much he cares for Sherlock, that it would be the most devastating thing for us and for Sherlock to lose Mycroft. And they said S4 will be dark and devastating, right?
Then, someone has to take Mycroft's place. There has to be some sort of Mycroft in the show. And they gave us a Mary in TAB who is clever beyond belief. And who seemingly is accepted by Mycroft. So who would be better for the job...? Both their names start with an 'M'. And as a side note: In "Doctor Who" Moffat gave us a female Master - the Master has been male for decades. But now we have a female Master - why not a female Mycroft in "Sherlock".
I'm not saying that I will like any of this. I probably won't. But it somehow seems logical to me.

But what about the baby?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 2, 2016 2:04 pm  #172

JP wrote:

OMG, it's just too much to read in one piece.

YOU - for me it is a connection. "Why owe you" Don't know what it is, but it is.

Indeed, there seems to be a connection, here. Maybe with an emphasis on "you", as in "why owe you in particular?".

JP wrote:

The strange figure in Mycroft's notebook is a metric tensorThis will take longer time to analyze, at least as long as we don't have mathematicians in the fandom, one who will be able to explain it to us goldfish.

I'm sure the fandom has methematicians. We just don't know them. Why not ask the "science side of Tumblr" if they could explain? I've tried to work it out but...
I'll put the fact I didn't grasp a thing on tiredness and a complicated subject in a foreign language.
Or stupidity, which would work as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

January 2, 2016 2:10 pm  #173

@Lily...were we meant to understand it?!
@The Boss: oh yes, what about baby?!

January 2, 2016 2:22 pm  #174

@Swanpride...seems to be. Except I wonder if Sherlock only tried to OD on the plane...sorry, I did mention that in my initial long ramble!

January 2, 2016 2:29 pm  #175

Thanks Liberty ! This chat is priceless

Jim Moriarty. Helloooo ! ~~

January 2, 2016 2:36 pm  #176

@Solenn. I suppose it kind of equates to the cafe scene in SIP, too.

January 2, 2016 2:41 pm  #177

I knew Irene was still in his heart
Does somebody know where I can watch and eventually download the film ?

Jim Moriarty. Helloooo ! ~~

January 2, 2016 2:50 pm  #178

@Solenn..an uncomfortable truth about Irene.

January 2, 2016 3:07 pm  #179

Swanpride wrote:

Let's concentrate on the "real" part for a moment:

So apparently Sherlock dosed up in solidary confinement and managed to fake a sound mind until he was on the plane.

He then proceeded to read John's blog, because John sees more in Sherlock as Sherlock sees in himself (and the mind palace suggests that this is the reason why Sherlock pushes himself to actually be the man John sees in him).

He and Mycroft have an agreement that he would always have a list of what he took for him - and apparently Mycroft found him multiple times in some sort of drug den before he got his act together.

Not only is Mycroft aware what Mary truly is, Mary also knows that he knows. Which most likely means that Mycroft knows exactly who shot Sherlock.

Sherlock's final conclusion is that Moriarty is dead (Thank god!), but that he set up someone who would follow his footsteps. Or something.

Good point, lets start with reality: 
First the facts.

Sherlock has just gotten the call from Mycroft, telling him that his exile is over, because England needs him. The plane lands, John, Mycroft and Mary come in. They find Sherlock agitated, Mycroft quickly realizes his brother is high. Mary discovers Sherlock has been reading John's block. Sherlock replies it helps him to “see himself through John's eyes”. John does not (want to?) believe Sherlock is high. Sherlock and Mycroft agree that there are things that Sherlock knows and Mycroft doesn't. Mycroft asks for the list, Sherlock tries to put him off. John is still in denial. Sherlock produces the list, John is clearly shocked. Mycroft tells them about the agreement the brothers have “ever since that day”. John does not believe Sherlock has taken everything on the list since he got on the plane, Mycroft thinks that he was high all along, Mary disagrees. Mycroft reminds everyone that his brother is an addict, Sherlock replies he is “a user” and he takes the drugs in a controlled way to suppress boredom and heighten his though process. John his worries that the cocktail might kill Sherlock, but Sherlock points out that “controlled usage is not usually fatal” (also “abstinence is not immortality”). Meanwhile, Mary has entered the files on the Victorian case (which for some reason seem to be high security) and advises Mycroft that security measures on state secrets would be a good idea. Sherlock wants to go back to solving the cold case. Mycroft tells Sherlock that he “will always be there” for him and apologizes for locking him up by himself for a week. Sherlock slips back into his dream. He wakes up again to find everyone hovering over him, Mary asks if he needs to be in a hospital, but Sherlock wants to go back to Baker Street, because “Moriarty is back”, Mycroft “almost hopes he is”, if it saves Sherlock from his addiction. Sherlock says he does not need that now, he's got “the real thing”. Mycroft wants Sherlock to “promise” him, but Sherlock sends him off to fetch him a pardon, “like a proper big brother”. Sherlock leaves, followed by Mary. Mycroft asks John to look after Sherlock. John nods and leaves. Mycroft collects the pieces of the list that Sherlock has torn up and puts them in a little notebook. One page of the notebook is visible, is contains a few calculations and words, including vernet, Scarlet Roll Ma..., and, most prominently, REDBEARD. Outside, Sherlock explains to John and Mary that Moriarty is back, but “of cause he is dead”, more importantly, Sherlock knows what he is going to do next. Through the plane window, the car is seen driving away. 

So...what do we make of that?

Last edited by Lola Red (January 2, 2016 3:10 pm)

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

January 2, 2016 3:09 pm  #180

My dad (who hasn't watched any Sherlock, as far as I know) asked me today how the episode was and I had a hard time giving an answer because... I'm still blown away. And my heart is broken. And I'm confused. And I LOVED IT! But still, I'm somewhat incredibly sad when I think about the episode and do not exactly know why.
So how can you describe that to somebody who doesn't know about Sherlock or the state it can put you in? It's impossible. So I just said it was fantastic, which doesn't sum it up properly, but I just had to say something. :D

------------------------------------------------------------
"Love something, and love it deeply."
Andrew Scott

"I don’t care how hypothetical it is, I’m not flying with a live otter in the flight deck."
Captain Martin Crieff

Board footera