BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 19, 2016 8:19 pm  #821

Re: The Abominable Bride (for those who have seen it)

Thank you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 19, 2016 9:29 pm  #822

I just watched the whole thing and... thanks for sharing-- and now, I have to go rearrange my brain!!!!

February 19, 2016 10:00 pm  #823

Can't wait to see it, but just haven't got time right now!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 19, 2016 10:17 pm  #824

Same with me. Thanks for posting. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 30, 2016 8:31 am  #825

I just read that TAB was aired one day too late to be eligible for a Bafta TV Award nomination 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 30, 2016 10:12 am  #826

Yeah, but don't they normally just shunt it in to the following year?
I actually thought they had to air by about November, for the earlier year...if you know what I mean!
Oh no, think I'm getting confused with the NTAs- cos they are held in Jan, aren't they?

Anyhow, glad this thread popped up again...
I messaged the Boss about this:
Remember when we saw Chris(Speedy's manager) in Victorian costume- but we ever actually saw him in TAB, did we?
Was he one of the people on the street, do you think?
Last time I saw him, I very nearly said: "can't wait to see you in the Special"- so I was rather glad I didn't!

March 30, 2016 10:20 am  #827

Yes, I think it will be eligible next year. It has happened before but I think it is a bit of a disadvantage. There is so much time between the airing and the awards that it may have been forgotten until then. As far as I know, every programme airing between 1 January and 31 December will become eligible the following year, so it is 2017 for TAB. 

Sorry, cannot remember seeing him. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

March 30, 2016 1:50 pm  #828

Yes we have to wait for the TV Baftas in 2017, although I don't think they'll get a nomination, at least not in the actor categories. 

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

March 31, 2016 6:20 am  #829

Ivy wrote:

Yes we have to wait for the TV Baftas in 2017, although I don't think they'll get a nomination, at least not in the actor categories. 

Why not? Just curious.

March 31, 2016 12:16 pm  #830

I do believe the same thing happened to HLV.  It aired in January and had to wait a year for the BFTAs and the Emmys.  It did very well in the awards.  Ben, Martin and Steven all three won Emmys.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

March 31, 2016 1:47 pm  #831

Yes and everyone went nuts when the 2014 nominees were announced until someone explained it's because of some changes and we have to wait for the 2015 awards.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

March 31, 2016 2:25 pm  #832

Well, I wish them every possible award because they deserve it but, honestly, I am not to keen on the BAFTAs. They have treated series 3 and especially Benedict quite shabbily. I would not be surprised if he never got a BAFTA for Sherlock, even if he played the part until he was old and grey. I was so happy about the recognition HLV got at the Emmys. But with Benedict I always get the feeling that he gets a nomination because they simply cannot ignore him - apart from Parade's End, that is - but that for some reason that eludes me he never gets the award. Is there anyone else with five nominations and no win? (Sorry for the rant but BAFTA makes me really angry). 

March 31, 2016 2:57 pm  #833

SusiGo wrote:

Well, I wish them every possible award because they deserve it but, honestly, I am not to keen on the BAFTAs. They have treated series 3 and especially Benedict quite shabbily. I would not be surprised if he never got a BAFTA for Sherlock, even if he played the part until he was old and grey. I was so happy about the recognition HLV got at the Emmys. But with Benedict I always get the feeling that he gets a nomination because they simply cannot ignore him - apart from Parade's End, that is - but that for some reason that eludes me he never gets the award. Is there anyone else with five nominations and no win? (Sorry for the rant but BAFTA makes me really angry). 

I hope he doesn't end up being the Susan Lucci of the BAFTAs.  She was a soap opera actress in the US, playing the same role in "All My Children", Erica Kane, for decades. She was nominated for a Best Actress in a Daytime Drama Emmy 18 times, before finally winning 1999.

March 31, 2016 3:02 pm  #834

This is awful. 

Maybe he will be lucky with Hollow Crown. 

March 31, 2016 6:10 pm  #835

Hope so!

June 16, 2016 12:23 am  #836

Watching TAB again, I was struck by the inscription on Emilia Ricoletti's grave:

BELOVED SISTER
FAITHFUL BEYOND DEATH

Beloved sister: her only sibling had died four years before. Would those who buried her and paid for the headstone put "beloved sister" if she didn't have a living sibling? Why not "beloved daughter and sister"?

Faithful beyond death: Who was she faithful to beyond death? Not her bastard brute of a husband, surely?

But who would have buried Emilia and paid for her headstone? Probably the sisterhood of "brides". So she is their beloved sister, and they are faithful to her beyond her death. I like this detail 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 16, 2016 5:54 am  #837

And Moriarty's people are going to be faithful to his memory?

June 16, 2016 7:13 am  #838

But who could 'Moriarty's people' be anyway? Of course, he has his close contacts but can anybody imagine him being in a group or something? It does look like someone is now using his image to spread fear, but there's no sentimentality on their side as it was with the sisterhood of the brides.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Love something, and love it deeply."
Andrew Scott

"I don’t care how hypothetical it is, I’m not flying with a live otter in the flight deck."
Captain Martin Crieff

June 16, 2016 7:20 am  #839

I agree. I would not draw any parallels between Moriarty's network and the sisterhood of the brides. Because in Sherlock's mind Moriarty is NOT one of the brides, he just uses the disguise. He is not one of the women taking desperate immoral measures to fight a righteous cause, he just hides in their middle. 

What is also interesting in this context is why it is Mary of all people who leads Sherlock to the brides (who actually should be her sisters, instead she chooses to betray them) while at the same time triggering the Moriarty appearance and the following Reichenbach scene. In the end we could say it is Mary who sets a chain of events in motion which results in "There's always two of us". 

June 16, 2016 4:37 pm  #840

Kind of...

Board footera