BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 1, 2016 11:37 pm  #61

Re: The Abominable Bride (for those who have seen it)

True. I followed Setlock only for the reason to maybe be given a 'yes' about whether Andrew would be in it or not. Maybe they'd brought him in in the middle in the night and he had to live there for a couple of days. ;)

------------------------------------------------------------
"Love something, and love it deeply."
Andrew Scott

"I don’t care how hypothetical it is, I’m not flying with a live otter in the flight deck."
Captain Martin Crieff

January 1, 2016 11:38 pm  #62

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 1, 2016 11:42 pm  #63

BBC3, perfect as always! 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 1, 2016 11:44 pm  #64

Lola Red wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

Vhanja wrote:

Actually a lot of the modern-day scenes aboard the airplanes seemed almost like a fanfic - Mycroft being direct and both showing and telling his concern, Sherlock ODing...

Also, I didn't like John's outburst at the graveyard. Again there seem to be anger and distance between them. John isn't interested in what Sherlock wants if it's not "the job". (On the other hand, I got the imporession he believed it was only Sherlock's drug-induced fantasies).

But, the graveyard scene was also part of the MP so it was a representation of Sherlock thinking John will leave him for good.

I am still confused about the graveyard. Was that reality or fantasy? If it was readability, it is actually quite tragic: John leaving and Lestrade digging with Sherlock through the night while Mycroft holds the torch. All that while Sherlock fantasizes about John always being there for him, even in his greatest battle. 

I believe this was just Sherlock´s mind palace. Just one of his many nightmares. 

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 1, 2016 11:45 pm  #65

Lola Red wrote:

Did anyone else's heart break for Mycroft though? 

Mine did. Definitely. That is probably my favourite thing in the Special, the fact that we get so much emotion from Mycroft towards his little brother. When he picks up the scraps of paper (sherlock's list) and puts them into his little notebook... wow, that was amazing.
And yes, the list is a list of the drugs Sherlock is currently taking, so that Mycroft will always know about it and know what to do to help him, should Sherlock be in mortal danger because of the drugs.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 1, 2016 11:45 pm  #66

Ufff, I don´t know how will I be able to sleep tonight. I feel as if they tossed me out of a spinning merry-go-round.
But it was a good spin! 

January 1, 2016 11:48 pm  #67

The episode is already available on NRK Nett TV. Also, I saw that someone has uploaded it to Vimeo in it's entirety.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

January 1, 2016 11:49 pm  #68

nakahara wrote:

Ufff, I don´t know how will I be able to sleep tonight. I feel as if they tossed me out of a spinning merry-go-round.
But it was a good spin! 

I'm still spinning. This was so much more than I ever thought it would be. 

And Moftiss repeating that it's a "stand-alone outside of the main series"!

Team Hudders!

January 1, 2016 11:49 pm  #69

Yeah, the scene at the graveyard was all in Sherlock's mind. As well as that previous scene in the hospital when they had apparently revived him from his drug overdose. In reality, Sherlock never left that seat on the plane.

The list was definitely the list of drugs that Sherlock had taken. As a native English speaker, that was pretty clear to me so I can def. confirm that for all you guys.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

January 1, 2016 11:51 pm  #70

I need to see the episode again. I am still not sure what was real and what wasn't.

Team Hudders!

January 1, 2016 11:51 pm  #71

tonnaree wrote:

Think on this.

Sherlock was high in the tarmac scene.  He had to get high to say goodbye to John.
And it seems he planned to OD rather than suffer the last 6 months of his life without John.

OUCH omg. I actually didn't think of that before but now you come to mention it....

Sherlock didn't KNOW that Moriarty was going to "come back". He didn't plan to solve a 100 year old case in his mind palace. All he knew, he was getting on a plane and going off on a six month mission that would most probably kill him, and even on the off rare chance that it didn't kill him, he still wouldn't be able to return home to his old life or see John again.

SHERLOCK WAS GOING TO KILL HIMSELF....ksjdgkljsdlgk

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 1, 2016 11:54 pm  #72

I´m so glad I will see this dubbed in TV tommorow. There´s lot I didn´t catch at the first look, I´m sure. 

January 1, 2016 11:56 pm  #73

So glad that I was able to watch it on filmon.tv since we will have to wait ages for a broadcast on German television. Absolutely brilliant episode, great story with many twists and surprises and stunning visuals. So many questions answered and even more new questions to ponder... This should keep us busy for a long time.

O, learn to read what silent love hath writ:
To hear with eyes belongs to love’s fine wit.
(Shakespeare, Sonnet 23) 

January 2, 2016 12:02 am  #74

Vhanja wrote:

nakahara wrote:

But it was a good spin! 

They are literally the worst trolls! I should honestly know better by now, but I actually believed them...because all the evidence from setlock was pointing to that being the case.

Even the scene of John & Mary at the graveyard in their tarmac clothes that was leaked from setlock...I totally thought they were just filming a continuation scene for Series 4 in advance at the same time to purposefully confuse people. I also thought that it could maybe form part of a trailer for Series 4 that they might have shown at the end of the Special...I didn't think it would ACTUALLY be in this episode.

January 2, 2016 12:02 am  #75

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

tonnaree wrote:

Think on this.

Sherlock was high in the tarmac scene.  He had to get high to say goodbye to John.
And it seems he planned to OD rather than suffer the last 6 months of his life without John.

OUCH omg. I actually didn't think of that before but now you come to mention it....

Sherlock didn't KNOW that Moriarty was going to "come back". He didn't plan to solve a 100 year old case in his mind palace. All he knew, he was getting on a plane and going off on a six month mission that would most probably kill him, and even on the off rare chance that it didn't kill him, he still wouldn't be able to return home to his old life or see John again.

SHERLOCK WAS GOING TO KILL HIMSELF....ksjdgkljsdlgk

Heartbreaking, but most likely true. Drugs-theme was quite prominent in the episode, I think.

January 2, 2016 12:08 am  #76

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

Vhanja wrote:

nakahara wrote:

But it was a good spin! 

They are literally the worst trolls! I should honestly know better by now, but I actually believed them...because all the evidence from setlock was pointing to that being the case.

Even the scene of John & Mary at the graveyard in their tarmac clothes that was leaked from setlock...I totally thought they were just filming a continuation scene for Series 4 in advance at the same time to purposefully confuse people. I also thought that it could maybe form part of a trailer for Series 4 that they might have shown at the end of the Special...I didn't think it would ACTUALLY be in this episode.

Personally, I believed this to be just a straighforward Victorian case, a one-off without the connection to the rest of the story. Mofftiss got me, big time! 

January 2, 2016 12:14 am  #77

That he overdosed before saying goodbye to John is killing me. And reading the blog about their beginnings. The whole episode is just about love, pain, brotherly care, suppressed feelings, oppressed women, digging into your psyche, drug addiction … Amazing. But I wonder what casual viewers will make of it. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 2, 2016 12:16 am  #78

btw, the sign language scene was absolutely hilarious

And I squealed like a fangirl at Mycroft's "Doctor Watson? Look after him. Please?" because nearly two years ago, I wrote a fanfiction in which a dying Mycroft texted John just before his death  and the text said "Please. John. Take care of him. ~MH"

Just like old times...

January 2, 2016 12:17 am  #79

SusiGo wrote:

That he overdosed before saying goodbye to John is killing me. And reading the blog about their beginnings. The whole episode is just about love, pain, brotherly care, suppressed feelings, oppressed women, digging into your psyche, drug addiction … Amazing. But I wonder what casual viewers will make of it. 

Amen.

God, I need to watch this again. ASAP!

Just like old times...

January 2, 2016 12:20 am  #80

Oh my god, that was so good! Fat Mycroft - what a crazy but wonderful idea! And I really screamed when Andrew Scott appeared. I had hoped he would come back for the special. I love his impersonation of Moriarty!

Choosing Sherlock's mind palace for the special to take place in was a great idea and worked very well. I can't wait to watch it again, still so excited! The only thing that's making me sad: All the time we'll have to wait for season 4...

"It's this - or Cluedo."
"No! We are never playing that again!"
"Why not?"
"Because it is not actually possible for the victim to have done it, Sherlock! That's why."
"It was the only possible solution!"
"It's not in the rules."
"Then the rules are wrong!"

Board footera