BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 16, 2016 9:18 pm  #721

Re: The Abominable Bride (for those who have seen it)

I adore the minute attention to details! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 17, 2016 10:32 am  #722

I just have this small question... usually cast and crew talking about sets being incredibly warm, due to all the lighting (unless it's outdoors). Yet in all pictures and clips I've seen from the cast and crew talking behind the scenes while shooting TAB, they all wear these immensly thick and huge jackets. Even during a sit-down interview between Mark and Ben, they are wearing these jackets.

How could those indoor sets be that cold?!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 17, 2016 10:46 am  #723

Well I think they had only just gone indoors and the crypt and the stately home would have been freezing inside!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 17, 2016 11:22 am  #724

They said in the house they used for Lady Carmichael's home the heating broke down for the full filming period... which was why Ben did pushups on the stairs... and being January maybe the heat from the lamps didn't even heat that up... 

And yes, those lamps can get hot as hell. Blegh. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 17, 2016 4:52 pm  #725

*terribly distracted by the thought of Ben doing pushups*   

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 17, 2016 5:21 pm  #726

Let me just say... this moment...

One of the better Geek moments of many years, when I saw that modern plane and heard the Sherlock theme in it's regular version. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 17, 2016 5:23 pm  #727

Oh yes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 17, 2016 5:39 pm  #728

I was so confused at first, the first time... but I was also so excited. Finally 'my' Sherlock was actually back!! I remember squealing! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

January 17, 2016 5:51 pm  #729

I jumped up and yelled "YES"!!!  Because some many of us had predicted that the Victorian part would be in the Mind Palace.  It was a fantastic moment.

I also remember thinking 'oh yea they lied to us again.  Stand alone episode my arse!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 17, 2016 5:56 pm  #730

I assumed they meant it was the only Victorian one they would do.

January 17, 2016 6:03 pm  #731

I was actually convinced they meant it when they said standalone... but I'm happy it wasn't! 

Btw, I am still giggling a bit about some dude who wrote a heartfelt complaint to the Danish TV station's facebook complaining about the episode before it even aired on Danish TV "Is that all English TV can do?? Can't they ever make anything modern? Really?"

Ehm... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

January 17, 2016 6:52 pm  #732

besleybean wrote:

I assumed they meant it was the only Victorian one they would do.

Yes, that does seem to be what they meant.  Unfortunately, I took it to mean it would be suitable for people who hadn't seen the other episodes and I recommended it!   Thankfully, even people who hadn't seen Sherlock before seemed to enjoy it!

January 17, 2016 6:56 pm  #733

I had a similar 'problem' Liberty... I had invited my best friend to see it at the cinema with me (I got her Sherlocked a while back) and somehow she's managed to not have seen HLV before! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

January 17, 2016 10:44 pm  #734

Well, there's a lot to be enjoyed even if you may need to guess at things near the end, or just not be sure about the ending.

And yes, I too am glad that it was not stand-alone.  Although, to be honest, even though I didn't know how it would be done, I figured there had to be some connection to the rest of the show, otherwise there would be no sense in it being under the same title.

Clueing for looks.

January 18, 2016 6:12 am  #735

The opening of TAB showed a sequence of various scenes from the first three series' of Sherlock, obviously both as an explanation and a reminder of the story so far to new viewers and old fans. Moftiss would have chosen these scenes very carefully, not just because of time limitations, but because each scene also succinctly tells us something about the special episode. There were the obvious ones that set up the story and characters, but there were also some odd ones seemingly randomly thrown in. Why did they show us Sherlock dressed as a security guard from TGG? Why show us a clip of the Houses of Parliament exploding in the series 1 segment, when it was from series 3 but didn't even actually happen? (and why show us the handcuff scene in the wrong order? Although I guess this one kind of makes sense in the narrative). Anyone have any ideas?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 18, 2016 6:39 am  #736

Security guard, just an example of Sherlock using disguise.
Houses of Parliament because it's dramatic and good TV.
Handcuff one because it shows the boys working as a team and maybe John keeping Sherlock in check.
I assume they chose the order for dramatic effect, but I don't really know.

Last edited by besleybean (January 18, 2016 6:40 am)

January 18, 2016 6:57 am  #737

Good answers. I just realised, too, that the clip of Sherlock in disguise is shown just before we see Molly saying "bad day, was it?", so maybe a hint to Hooper's appearance

The dramatic shot of the Parliament blowing up is good tv... I just thought it was strange that they showed it in the S1 segment. But then I thought of the explosion in the Great Game, and Sherlock's failure to save the old lady, maybe Moftiss wanted to allude to that but with more impact.

I like your idea about the handcuff scene showing John keeping Sherlock in check. I guess it also goes with the previous clip, "the two of us against the rest of the world".

So no real mystery, I just like talking about Sherlock details

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 18, 2016 6:59 am  #738

Me too!

January 18, 2016 8:56 am  #739

The Houses of Parliament scene could just have been a hint that things were not as they seemed and that this might be mind palace - that didn't really happen!

January 18, 2016 9:53 am  #740

Good point, Liberty.

I just found out that the name of airplane steward guy - Diamond - is a reference to I.A.L. Diamond, writer for TPLoSH. Sorry if this has already been posted

Also PC Rance is a reference to Constable Rance in A Study in Scarlet.

Last edited by ukaunz (January 18, 2016 10:17 am)

Board footera