BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 9, 2016 4:16 pm  #601

Re: The Abominable Bride (for those who have seen it)

I have been trying to puzzle out what is real and what not regarding the modern scenes.
I think the only real one is the last one , with Sherlock hearing real voices and seeing Johns eye light but not actually coming out of the mp . This left the problem of Mycrofts paper.

Considering Sherlock thought he was going to his death he wrote his last wishes down like a will ,things like keep an eye on John and give my skull to Mrs Hudson etc , and gave them to Mycroft .
Sherlock rips it up because obviously , not dead . The real thing he has now is John and his life back.

they always leave a note

Last edited by Mothonthemantel (January 9, 2016 4:20 pm)

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 9, 2016 4:40 pm  #602

Nice...but I thought it was just a list of drugs?!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 9, 2016 4:45 pm  #603

I think it is.  What Mycroft says about the list, and the flashback, strike me as true. 

January 9, 2016 4:52 pm  #604

Thank you, Ivy, for the link to the transcript (THANK YOU, Ariane!) - and thank you, Lily, for the full tarmac scene link! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 9, 2016 6:03 pm  #605

I am still wondering why not more people are talking and writing metas on “The Seven-Percent-Solution” book (by Nicholas Meyer) and film. There we have Sherlock Holmes as a drug addict, lured to Vienna by Watson in order to be cured by Sigmund Freud, the "Viennese alienist". We get lots of symbolic dreaming and hallucinations. Moriarty being part of a childhood trauma which is at the root of Holmes becoming a detective AND consuming cocaine. If you do not know the film or the book, have a look. I am one hundred percent sure that Moftiss know it and have drawn on it for TAB. (The one thing I cannot forgive the film is the pasted-on romantic ending but as for the rest, it is quite a good adaptation).

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 9, 2016 6:05 pm  #606

We may have had this conversation before, but is the book better than the film?
My pal bought me the dvd and I liked it, right until the final scene...just no!
EDIT:I actually missd the last line of your reply on first read, but nice to see you agree with me...oh and you my also have answered my question about the book!

Last edited by besleybean (January 9, 2016 6:07 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 9, 2016 6:10 pm  #607

I have no idea why they did the last scene. Maybe to show that Holmes had finally overcome his aversion against women? I definitely prefer the book in this regard. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 9, 2016 6:12 pm  #608

I would, too.
I just thought the last film scene was vile.

January 9, 2016 6:17 pm  #609

Sounds like something to move to the front of my "to read"/"to see" list!  Anything particular to look out for - TAB connections?

January 9, 2016 6:26 pm  #610

besleybean wrote:

Nice...but I thought it was just a list of drugs?!

I think we don't know for sure. The drug list idea is a fandom speculation, is it not?

January 9, 2016 6:28 pm  #611

Oh, so Mycroft doesn't actually say that?
Was I just presuming from what he and John say?

January 9, 2016 6:29 pm  #612

Liberty wrote:

Sounds like something to move to the front of my "to read"/"to see" list!  Anything particular to look out for - TAB connections?

The whole idea of psychoanalysis, digging into Holmes's subconscious, the matter of addiction and its causes. Also the interesting take on Moriarty. Different from BBC Sherlock (and Canon) but cleverly done. 

January 9, 2016 6:47 pm  #613

Thanks, Susi!  It will be great to have something TAB-related to enjoy while waiting for S4. 

Ancientsgate/Besleybean, personally, I didn't really see much ambiguity over the list (in the present day) - I thought Mycroft was making it clear that it was a list of what drugs Sherlock had taken (presumably so Mycroft could get the correct antidotes/treatments if necessary).   John reacts as if it's a list of drugs too.  (Which doesn't mean it's not open to interpretation, of course!).

January 9, 2016 7:07 pm  #614

If you believe the list first mentioned in the Diogenes and later modern scenes is true , then its a drugs list.
If you believe none of it was real and Mycroft is still sat in the car the paper doesn't exist at all.
If you believe only the waking up at TRF was real , the paper could be anything.
So that issue going to be confusing .

Agree with everything Susie mentions about the seven percent solution . TAB is very trippy and Freudian and both have a romantic endings. Lots of people probably going to rewatch that film . TABs a meld of Tplosh Granada and 7% and canon .A cauldron of everything. Really a gift for fans to keep us happy for a long time.

Btw all the blog videos are easily found on youtube . I searched them recently. Love the one called The Visitor.

Last edited by Mothonthemantel (January 9, 2016 7:09 pm)

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 9, 2016 7:10 pm  #615

What's TAB's romantic ending?

January 9, 2016 7:12 pm  #616

You dont think John saving Sherlock from Moriarty and Sherlock considering they should elope romantic .

January 9, 2016 7:16 pm  #617

I think they end of TAB is indeed romantic. Both of them alone in front of the fireplace, having overcome Moriarty, no drugs or quarrels like in HoB, a warmhearted, lovely scene. 

January 9, 2016 7:18 pm  #618

Well they're not exactly going off into the sunset, which would be the equivalent of 7%.

EDIT: er Sherlock and John didn't think they should elope. And that wasn't the last scene!

Last edited by besleybean (January 9, 2016 7:19 pm)

January 9, 2016 7:20 pm  #619

I think Moriarty is the dragon John is Englands knight st george , and Sherlock is the damsel in disress.
Sherlock liked  Grimms fairy tales  and the fire place scene is the happy ever after.

Last edited by Mothonthemantel (January 9, 2016 7:24 pm)

January 9, 2016 7:22 pm  #620

But it's not the last scene.
Plus, in 7% we are shown a couple going off together.
In TAB we are shown 2 friends, one of whom is about to go home to his wife.

Board footera