BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 4, 2016 5:33 pm  #441

Re: The Abominable Bride (for those who have seen it)

Mothonthemantel wrote:

When Sherlock jump off the TRF you can hear the plane flying and landing.
Everything before that was hallucination.

I apparently was having a hallucination trying to watch that thing. *shrug*

Am I the only one reading this thread who was at all confused by this very strange episode? As I said, I know I need to watch it again, but in the meantime, looking back over it in my mind, what I can remember, it was like an LSD trip. Psychedelic!

January 4, 2016 5:36 pm  #442

I think it was meant to seem like that!
Well I did impart that information somewhere, I just can't remember where.
Actually Amanda's is a good interview: enjoy it when you watch it.
Other than that, I was just bowled over by the gorgeous and laughing hysterically at Andrew and Mark's double act!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 4, 2016 5:39 pm  #443

besleybean wrote:

Mark interviewing gorgeous Andrew...I just can't get enough of those two!

I agree, like you said, they need a show. I need more moments like the Sherlocked convention.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 4, 2016 6:12 pm  #444

Andrew's interview was cute even. I was totally floored by how lovely he was! 

And about the tie... would they be so lazy? 
I'm thinking about Doctor Who again... there was a theory about the colour of the 11th Doctor's bowties... if he was wearing a specific colour it could mean he was moving forward in time, another colour would imply traveling to the past or something... 

But I don't know in this case... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 4, 2016 6:17 pm  #445

That would be interesting, if applied to the tie.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 4, 2016 7:02 pm  #446

Just shows that we don't really know what reality is in the Sherlock world.  The "modern-time" Sherlock events could be all in his mind palace while the Victorian time is where he really exists.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

January 4, 2016 7:49 pm  #447

SusiGo wrote:

Ahem, I just found this. Not sure if they would be so lazy to commit such a continuity error:

http://skulls-and-tea.tumblr.com/post/136587649656/skulls-and-tea-mycroft-wearing-two-different

If we suppose it is not an error, it would mean that all the modern scenes are in Sherlock's mind, right?

Mmmh, I don't think that means something. I suppose it was just a mistake with costumes, after all there were 1 1/2 year time between the filming of HLV and TAB. Maybe the tie did indeed got lost during that time. I wouldn't interpret too much into such details, e.g. like the different writing on the USB stick in HLV.

But I am always so impressed what people observe. I didn't even noticed the "modern" John in the train scene.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 4, 2016 7:50 pm  #448

@Swanpride See I think you might be right.
I was only thinking of that time, do you remember when the whole of the set got flooded out and wrecked?  
They had to build it all again?
Possibly something similar could happen with costumes.

Last edited by besleybean (January 4, 2016 7:51 pm)

January 4, 2016 8:00 pm  #449

We've seen the costume department hold on to many items of clothing.  We've seen characters wear certain items multiple times.  That red coat is something that was worn more than once and has come to be heavily associated with Mary.  I just can't see them losing it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 4, 2016 8:02 pm  #450

It would seem a tad careless!

January 4, 2016 8:10 pm  #451

Yeah, but it's just a tie, just a very small detail of clothing compared to a coat. I just can't imagine that it should really mean something, it's just a so small detail. But well, I am not surprise about anything anymore 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 4, 2016 8:12 pm  #452

KeepersPrice wrote:

Just shows that we don't really know what reality is in the Sherlock world. The "modern-time" Sherlock events could be all in his mind palace while the Victorian time is where he really exists.

And I wouldn't put it past the current writers to go there next season, or the next, whenever. And laugh their asses off the whole time.

January 4, 2016 8:14 pm  #453

In a way, I'd quite like them to use the Victorian trope again.
But I somehow doubt they will...though I suppose we could get the old flashbacks!

January 4, 2016 8:15 pm  #454

tonnaree wrote:

We've seen the costume department hold on to many items of clothing.  We've seen characters wear certain items multiple times.  That red coat is something that was worn more than once and has come to be heavily associated with Mary.  I just can't see them losing it.

It could be anything. Maybe it was originally AA's coat and she didn't hang onto it. Maybe she's changed sizes and the old one no longer fits. Maybe she was wearing it and accidentally dumped a whole glass of wine right down the front, rendering it unusable. Maybe the moths got to it. Maybe the same thing happened to the old red coat as what happened to the mysterious changing tie. Maybe they just want to see how much we're paying attention.

January 4, 2016 8:17 pm  #455

That's definitely it, they're testing us!
(grabs notebook and pencil again and take more notes)
Tee Hee. 

January 4, 2016 8:30 pm  #456

Mark Gatiss was asked about  a tie code at the con and answered " there is no tie code I wish we were that clever "
Now they are?

Last edited by Mothonthemantel (January 4, 2016 10:50 pm)

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 4, 2016 8:39 pm  #457

Mice ate the original tie.
Or Mycroft is that vain that he changes them every five minutes. Anthea carries a bag full of them after him in the office. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 4, 2016 8:44 pm  #458

Maybe he has lots of ties, like Sherlock has lots of coats!

January 5, 2016 2:13 am  #459

nakahara wrote:

I find it interesting that some of you regard the Special as the feminist story – when it was just the opposite.

Sherlock is not Emmeline Pankhurst, he does not feel with those women, he fears them. In his mind palace scene, he sees them as a bunch of robots, devoid of any personality of their own, marching around like the army of Borgs, avoiding the eye contact, blindly waiting on the orders of their leader, being pliable in her hands “as a corpse is in the hands of the coroner”. To continue their anti-men conspiracy, they could actually meet in a tea-house or a coffee-house reserved exclusively for them as well, but no, they are presented as the people who inhabit wasteland of ruins, far-away from humanity, which only adds to the feeling “these women are unnatural, they are an enemies of society”. The capes (and the five orange pips) that connect them with Ku-Klux-Clan are only the cherry on top of the cake.

And of course, these women are very Ku-Klux-Clanish in their methods too. They freely kill every person they deem as their enemy and in this universe, this is seen as justified. Well, if murdering your opposition in a beastly way is empowering, then the Islamic State, IRA, ETA and similar terrorist organizations must be seen as empowering and justified too, since they use the very same methods in RL either.

Men who hate feminism often point out, that in their opinion the feminist do not fight for the equality of both sexes, but for the female supremacism. And Sherlock´s mind palace is the very example of this fear. Even Molly who is sweet, sympathetic and supportive in RL seems to be a threat here, a ruthless, unscrupulous, immoral individual who employs most brutal methods to dispose of their enemies. Of course, such individual can insult, belittle and maim men to her liking, because men are not her life partners, they are the enemy she fights to the death.

The idea that women can enrich society because they tend to be more emphatic and they tend to avoid unnecessary conflict, so they could make a difference in the men´s competitive, “survival of the fittest” world, does not register here. Women are seen as strong not because they brought their own, feminine qualities to good use, but because they started to kill and maim like men and disposed themselves of their feminine qualities altogether that way. This is the very antithesis of feminism, if you think about it. Feminine is still seen as wrong – to mean something, women must become the hard-fighting ninjas tough as nails, they must become “men” themselves.

No, Sherlock does not see women in a positive way, just the opposite - his outlook on them is fearful and negative to the extreme.

And why is this? Because in RL, one woman whom he trusted belittled and humiliated him, the other ruthlessly shot him and in result killed him when she took John away from him.

“This is the war we must eventually loose.”

Sherlock sacrificed everything to John and yet in the end, Mary has won over him and took John and the meaning of his life away from him. She even overtakes his role as a clever and brilliant detective in his mind palace and ridiculed him there. And since the role of the brilliant detective was what brought John to his side initially, it´s obvious that Mary will now possess John the way she possesses Sherlock´s former qualities as well.

“Mary, please, take me home.”

It´s no coincidence that John in Sherlock´s mind palace has this request, in Sherlock´s eyes, present-time John is entirely under the influence of Mary.

You think Special presents Sherlock´s lovely outlook on Mary? Think twice!

Mary leads Sherlock to the assembly of  Fem-Woman-Clan, but she doesn´t seem like she disagrees with them. She is much too cosy around them. And she doesn´t even blink, when Sherlock´s worst fear, Moriarty, appears around them in the guise of the bride… This M she received must not necessarily mean “Mycroft”, IMHO….

BRILLIANT.

January 5, 2016 2:56 am  #460

Even as Sherlock and The Abominable Bride’s journey into the past isn’t the series’ strongest adventure, the exploration of its title character, tethered to the present by his closest friend, remains ever riveting; as we behold these men’s need for the other, we are by extension shown man’s universal need for the other. Join me as I look closer: https://youtu.be/qCoAcjXKzLM

Board footera