BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 4, 2016 2:41 pm  #421

Re: The Abominable Bride (for those who have seen it)

Wasn't there bonus material for the cinema viewers? I remember reading something like that. I haven't heard anything yet what the "bonus" was?

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 4, 2016 2:46 pm  #422

There was and I did tell you! Ha. 
5 minutes before the episode, we had a guided tour of the Victorian set, conducted by Steven.
For half an hour afterwards, we had Mark, interviewing the cast...
Then Steven interviewed him!

Last edited by besleybean (January 4, 2016 2:46 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 4, 2016 3:15 pm  #423

You did? Sorry. I admit I haven't read every word of the 450 post here. Thank you.

Last edited by Ivy (January 4, 2016 3:16 pm)

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 4, 2016 3:19 pm  #424

And sorry back!
I probably buried the information in one of my mega posts. 
Highlights:  Mark's interview of Benedict- BC is just lovely throughout and in every possible way.
Mark interviewing gorgeous Andrew...I just can't get enough of those two!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 4, 2016 3:24 pm  #425

Liberty wrote:

She's in very early pregnancy in TSOT, though, so the baby could just be seen as premature - in fact as long as they were married when the baby was born, it would be legitimate.   I'm not sure how common it was for women to keep working after marriage, never mind through pregnancy (I know some of my grandmother's generation had to give up work when they married - as in they seemed to be automatically no longer employed!). 

Of course, there's an odd timeline in the mind palace, obviously - I would tend to think that the characters are where they are in the present day, but that's not necessarily the case.   Mary could have had the baby already and left it with a nanny.   Or maybe she didn't get pregnant in Sherlock's version.  Or maybe Sherlock just didn't want to include the baby? 

We really need a commentary!

Huh, so if Sherlock´s mind-palace shows us Victorian Mary working for Mycroft, according to some of you it also means she must be working for him in RL, in her modern form, also.

But if Sherlock´s mind palace shows her without the baby, you fail to apply the same logic - that he shows her without a baby because she is not really pregnant and Sherlock is unconsciously aware of the fact (the same way he was being aware of her being a liar, but he ignored it). Or it could symbolise the fact that the baby of RL Mary is not really John´s.

Add to this a fact that she lacks a baby-bump in a scene you believe is real and you have it almost confirmed.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 4, 2016 3:26 pm  #426

Well only if you're assuming that everything in the Mind Palace is replicated in real life...I'm not certain that's the case.
Any confirmation will come in S4.

Last edited by besleybean (January 4, 2016 3:27 pm)

January 4, 2016 4:14 pm  #427

Ahem, I just found this. Not sure if they would be so lazy to commit such a continuity error:

http://skulls-and-tea.tumblr.com/post/136587649656/skulls-and-tea-mycroft-wearing-two-different

If we suppose it is not an error, it would mean that all the modern scenes are in Sherlock's mind, right?

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 4, 2016 4:19 pm  #428

Quite easy to lose a tie! 

January 4, 2016 4:21 pm  #429

What do you mean by this? He did not lose it, it is completely different. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 4, 2016 4:24 pm  #430

No I mean it would be easy for the costume department to lose it!
Maybe there was a spill on it, I don't know...

January 4, 2016 4:26 pm  #431

Cannot believe that would happen. 

January 4, 2016 4:27 pm  #432

Well worse things have happened...
I dunno, just saying!

January 4, 2016 4:56 pm  #433

nakahara wrote:

Liberty wrote:

She's in very early pregnancy in TSOT, though, so the baby could just be seen as premature - in fact as long as they were married when the baby was born, it would be legitimate.   I'm not sure how common it was for women to keep working after marriage, never mind through pregnancy (I know some of my grandmother's generation had to give up work when they married - as in they seemed to be automatically no longer employed!). 

Of course, there's an odd timeline in the mind palace, obviously - I would tend to think that the characters are where they are in the present day, but that's not necessarily the case.   Mary could have had the baby already and left it with a nanny.   Or maybe she didn't get pregnant in Sherlock's version.  Or maybe Sherlock just didn't want to include the baby? 

We really need a commentary!

Huh, so if Sherlock´s mind-palace shows us Victorian Mary working for Mycroft, according to some of you it also means she must be working for him in RL, in her modern form, also.

But if Sherlock´s mind palace shows her without the baby, you fail to apply the same logic - that he shows her without a baby because she is not really pregnant and Sherlock is unconsciously aware of the fact (the same way he was being aware of her being a liar, but he ignored it). Or it could symbolise the fact that the baby of RL Mary is not really John´s.

Add to this a fact that she lacks a baby-bump in a scene you believe is real and you have it almost confirmed.

No, not at all: I said that Mary working for Mycroft could be a hint or a clue that she's working for him in real life.   That idea is then kind of backed up by Mycroft not being surprised at Mary bypassing MI5 security and even asking her about it.   It doesn't at all mean that she must be working for Mycroft, but there are two big clues there that go together.  (There's also some other little details that could fit with that too - although not really from this episode - why Mycroft doesn't seem to check Mary out, why he warns Sherlock off, etc.)

(Yes, the pregnancy could be a hint but it's a bit more vague.  I find it very difficult to see her as definitely not pregnant on the plane, because she's wearing loose clothing and leaning forward - it would hide a bump.  She doesn't look pregnant in the mind palace, though - Victorian corsets might hide it, but there isn't a noticeable bump even in her more active clothing). 

Last edited by Liberty (January 4, 2016 5:04 pm)

January 4, 2016 5:01 pm  #434

Didn't Mary also wear a different red coat? I don't know, I think it's just continuity errors, I still have trouble getting over Mycroft's disappearing gloves at the end of HLV. How could no one have spotted that? 

Mary working for Mycroft: I think they just loved the idea that there would be another Holmes and Watson duo. 

Last edited by silverblaze (January 4, 2016 5:02 pm)

January 4, 2016 5:15 pm  #435

It is a nice thought...
And thanks for the info on the gloves!

January 4, 2016 5:20 pm  #436

besleybean wrote:

What I did notice was the shaking room obviously being the plane landing...and I also think Sherlock is being the plane landing, as he dives off the falls.

I thought they were having an earthquake at 221B; I remember sitting there and wondering why and what was going on. I must be a very literal thinker/viewer/reader, because when I see a TV drama, I keep thinking I'm just watching a story, not something that's trying to give me a secret message. Plane landing?  That simply never occurred to me and never would have if you hadn't said this.

January 4, 2016 5:22 pm  #437

besleybean wrote:

Exactly!
Who sees but doesn't observe?!

*raises hand*  Me.

I've only seen TAB once so far, and I'm sure more of it will become a bit clearer to me on subsequent viewings. But I have all of you clever forum members to 'splain things to me, so I don't have to wear out many brain cells figuring things out for myself anyway.

January 4, 2016 5:23 pm  #438

When Sherlock jump off the TRF you can hear the plane flying and landing.
Everything before that was hallucination.

"Man may not be degraded  to being a machine by being denied to be a ghost in the machine."
It's just transport. The virus in the hard drive . However impossible .Must be the truth.

January 4, 2016 5:26 pm  #439

Well hang on, we go in and out of the hallucination, don't we?

January 4, 2016 5:28 pm  #440

besleybean wrote:

There was and I did tell you! Ha. 
5 minutes before the episode, we had a guided tour of the Victorian set, conducted by Steven.
For half an hour afterwards, we had Mark, interviewing the cast...
Then Steven interviewed him!

I don't remember you posting any of that, FWIW. Sounds interesting. Did you learn anything from Mofftiss that you didn't already know?

Board footera