BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 3, 2016 8:55 am  #301

Re: The Abominable Bride (for those who have seen it)

Swanpride wrote:

@stoertebecker Thanks for putting this in words...those were my feelings too, I was initially so elated about the episode and then suddenly the Mary nit-picking started again. I love your Kästner quote, btw, it's one of my favs. 

Perhaps I should stop defending Mary...it won't change anything either way. But it just seems to unfair to me when it comes to things like she supposedly pulling John away from Sherlock or bossing him around, when in fact John (not even real John but mind John) is the one who makes the decision in the scene and Mary is actually the one who is lead away. There is this disconnect between what is actually on screen, it's like there is some criticism refering to scenes which never happened in the first place.

Sorry, but I see 149 posts here without nitpicking. Almost even without mentioning Mary - until you started the discussion. Quite on purpose, as it seems:
“Okay, I am already apologizing for the discussion I will cause with this but....“
So please stop complaining. Nobody is nitpicking, but people have different opinions.

@Sherli Interesting thought. But that would mean the last scene of S3 was already in the MP, and I can't believe that. Hm....

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 3, 2016 9:10 am  #302

Well I'll say it, too, but before I move onto other threads:
1. If people want to see Johnlock, they will.
2. Some people don't like Mary. IMHO, it wouldn't matter what she did or said or if she stood like a silent wallflower. People do not want to acknowledge the marriage or the child. Period.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 3, 2016 9:23 am  #303

stoertebeker wrote:

At the moment I have got the impression that it doesn't matter in which way Mary is in the show - she could stand in one corner without saying anything - people would still critizising it.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SAYING THIS! It's really getting rather tedious how people keep hating and bashing Mary, wanting her gone asap- Moriarty was way more dangerous and also more than deranged, and yet, everybody loved him, surprise.
Maybe it's really to do with some subconscious, deep-rooted jealousy rather than the character itself. Mary does add to the overall suspense, though, and being the unpredictable player that she is, she shouldn't be dismissed so soon. As Moffat and Gatiss have once more proven with the special, we probably haven't seen most of it yet, and there might be another unexpected twist to her.
In my opinion, she was lovely in the special, and I'm with Swanpride: she was mostly for comic relief and also to further emphasize how a lot of women were treated by their husbands back then (I really didn't see any of the supposed scene-stealing or attention-seeking or whatnot). Even though she is clever and has abilities, not only John expects her to fulfill her role, which due to the way it was written provided a lot of humour. It was brilliant how Mycroft as the cleverest of them all is the only one who appreciates that there's more to her than housekeeping. I'm looking forward to season four to see if this is being picked up in the modern day version.

Last edited by Kerkerian (January 3, 2016 9:25 am)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

January 3, 2016 9:32 am  #304

I find it rather tedious that the words "hating" and "bashing" are around again. Not respectful towards all the people here who just happen to have a different opinion.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 3, 2016 9:52 am  #305

Kerkerian wrote:

In my opinion, she was lovely in the special, and I'm with Swanpride: she was mostly for comic relief and also to further emphasize how a lot of women were treated by their husbands back then (I really didn't see any of the supposed scene-stealing or attention-seeking or whatnot). Even though she is clever and has abilities, not only John expects her to fulfill her role, which due to the way it was written provided a lot of humour. It was brilliant how Mycroft as the cleverest of them all is the only one who appreciates that there's more to her than housekeeping. I'm looking forward to season four to see if this is being picked up in the modern day version.

Yes.  And a lot of what we saw of her was in Sherlock's mind palace, not actually her.  It seems that to imagine what it was like to be a woman in that setting, he imagined how the women (and the men!) he knew would act in it.  The graveyard scene with "better" is in Sherlock's mind only, and I think it was not only funny, but I comment on women's place and the throwaway comments that highlight that.   The whole thing is also a bit of a comment on women in the ACD stories, I suppose.   Mary even has to pretend to be a client to get John's attention/get into the story.  I approve of how Mary was shown in this episode.  Unlike some, I don't see her as cleverer than Mycroft, but I'm really glad that her past has been acknowledged and not brushed under the carpet, whether she turns out to be a goodie or a baddie in S4.

January 3, 2016 10:00 am  #306

Harriet wrote:

I find it rather tedious that the words "hating" and "bashing" are around again. Not respectful towards all the people here who just happen to have a different opinion.

*High five!*

January 3, 2016 10:06 am  #307

stoertebeker wrote:

At the moment I have got the impression that it doesn't matter in which way Mary is in the show - she could stand in one corner without saying anything - people would still critizising it.

“Some“ people, please....
Possible. But the same time there are some people who are just waiting for ONE critizising word and they jump in in order to “defend“ her. And not always in a nice way, either.

Again. There are different opinions. One should accept that and stay nice. ;-)

January 3, 2016 10:08 am  #308

Listening to this song just left me in tears... it feels like it's about TAB... Sherlock could have written it practically

(The lyrics in the video are off... sorry...)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYwrD1uMeUY

"I'll never be the bravest of us
Crossing my fingers when ever I'm cross
I wish I could love without having to fear, 
Baby's fingers got a burn, baby came too near. 
You'll never know all the trouble I've got,
Still haven't slept and it's 7 o'clock
Everything I have I could lose it in this fight,
Somebody's gotta tell me that I'm gonna be all right...

Oh it's crazy! It's crazy up in here!
I'm inside my head, How do I get out of it?
Oh it's crazy, I'ts crazy up in here! 

And then he said: 'Honey'
And then she said: 'Honey!'
And then he said: 'Honey, 
You're on your own, you're on your own, own own...'

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha

Searching for sunlight, A winter inside, 
Thinking of circles, I cannot abide, 
Baby make me warm, 
Thaw the snow inside of me, 
Overflowing in my eyes, 
Turning to a sea, 
I'll never know what I'm capable of, If I don't go where I'm scared to be lost, 
Who will find my way when I'm going through the night?
Somebody gotta tell me that I'm going to be all right... 

I'm inside my head, How do I get out of it?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 3, 2016 10:11 am  #309

Mattlocked wrote:

Harriet wrote:

*High five!*

It is what it is, guys. As has happened numerous times before, a general discussion about the episode has generated pages of Mary being discussed, some people bashing and others defending her. If someone feels treated disrespectfully because the terms "bashing" and "hating" are being used, well, my bad. I think the majority can take it.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

January 3, 2016 10:16 am  #310

I neither hate nor bash anyone.

January 3, 2016 10:18 am  #311

Good!

January 3, 2016 10:18 am  #312

And now I think I leave until we're back to topic.

January 3, 2016 10:30 am  #313

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

Listening to this song just left me in tears... it feels like it's about TAB... Sherlock could have written it practically

(The lyrics in the video are off... sorry...)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYwrD1uMeUY

"I'll never be the bravest of us
Crossing my fingers when ever I'm cross
I wish I could love without having to fear, 
Baby's fingers got a burn, baby came too near. 
You'll never know all the trouble I've got,
Still haven't slept and it's 7 o'clock
Everything I have I could lose it in this fight,
Somebody's gotta tell me that I'm gonna be all right...

Oh it's crazy, I'ts crazy up in here! 

And then he said: 'Honey'
And then she said: 'Honey!'
And then he said: 'Honey, 
You're on your own, you're on your own, own own...'

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha

Searching for sunlight, A winter inside, 
Thinking of circles, I cannot abide, 
Baby make me warm, 
Thaw the snow inside of me, 
Overflowing in my eyes, 
Turning to a sea, 
I'll never know what I'm capable of, If I don't go where I'm scared to be lost, 
Who will find my way when I'm going through the night?
Somebody gotta tell me that I'm going to be all right... 

I'm inside my head, How do I get out of it?"

Oh this song...I definitely see why anyone could see it as being about TAB and why it could reduce anyone in tears, especially if one concentrates on the lyrics -which could have very well been written by Sherlock, indeed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

January 3, 2016 10:33 am  #314

Harriet wrote:

Mod's note:
Since I happened to be in bed, I can comment on this only now. I agree with Harriet and others sharing this opinion. And I would really appreciate if negative and positive views of a character could be discussed in a civilised way without using such and other disparaging terms. Thank you. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

January 3, 2016 10:35 am  #315

I've always loved the song, it's called 'Out of It' by Fallulah. The singer and writer actually went to the same high school as me... but now it has a whole different meaning to me. I was going through my playlist to find a good song for writing my One Shot inspired by the Special... and ... I think I found it. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

January 3, 2016 10:37 am  #316

Your one shot already sounds quite dark, then -but then again, the drug theme is dark.
I'd read it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

January 3, 2016 10:38 am  #317

ancientsgate wrote:

And although I know it's not AA's fault, I'm sure she's a perfectly good actress, but why oh why oh why did they ever cast Martin's RL partner in the role?  So jarring, so easy to get taken out of the story, just remembering that. I know others disagree, which is fine.

What does that has do to with it??? Disliking a character is one thing and perfectly fine, we all have different opinions. But projecting this antipathy against the actor does cross a line for me.

Harriet wrote:

Sometimes the way (choice of words) chritizism is being uttered seems very harsh and disrespectful as well. But I admit I am a bit oversensitiv in this regard at the moment. So I might perceive a comment as bashing whereas others wouldn't.

Mattlocked wrote:

stoertebeker wrote:

“Some“ people, please.... 

Yes, you're right. I should have phrased it like that. Sorry.

Mattlocked wrote:

Again. There are different opinions. One should accept that and stay nice. ;-)

I second that wholeheartly.

So, I've got a suggestion: There is already a Mary character thread or we can open an additional one for the special. Let's discuss the theme whether Mary is a goodie or baddie there. So those people who are feeling uncomfortable with this discussion can avoid these threads.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 3, 2016 10:45 am  #318

stoertebeker wrote:

ancientsgate wrote:

And although I know it's not AA's fault, I'm sure she's a perfectly good actress, but why oh why oh why did they ever cast Martin's RL partner in the role?  So jarring, so easy to get taken out of the story, just remembering that. I know others disagree, which is fine.

What does that has do to with it??? Disliking a character is one thing and perfectly fine, we all have different opinions.

Oh...? And where is that coming from all of a sudden? Sorry, but two pages ago you basically asked the people who see Mary in a negative light to stop writing about it. But now it's "perfectly fine"...?
I'm confused. So is it okay now to state a negative opinion about Mary or not? And to make this clear: What I wrote about her had nothing to do with bashing or hating. I explained why I don't like her and why she is a disturbing factor in the show. If that is bashing and hating, then we have completely different opinions about the nature of discussions.

Last edited by SolarSystem (January 3, 2016 10:45 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 3, 2016 11:11 am  #319

SolarSystem wrote:

stoertebeker wrote:

ancientsgate wrote:

What does that has do to with it??? Disliking a character is one thing and perfectly fine, we all have different opinions.

Oh...? And where is that coming from all of a sudden? Sorry, but two pages ago you basically asked the people who see Mary in a negative light to stop writing about it. But now it's "perfectly fine"...?
I'm confused. So is it okay now to state a negative opinion about Mary or not? And to make this clear: What I wrote about her had nothing to do with bashing or hating. I explained why I don't like her and why she is a disturbing factor in the show. If that is bashing and hating, then we have completely different opinions about the nature of discussions.

I didn't said anything like that. I didn't ask anyone to stop writing. I said that I wish that we stop tearing each other apart over the character of Mary. Because the discussions whether she is good or bad are leading to nothing. We are going in circles, filling pages of pages of comments and just goat each other. That is not fun anymore.
And yes there are some comments I am feeling very uncomfortable with, but as I said before I might be too oversensitive.

If I have offended you or anyone with my previous comment, then I am very sorry. That was truly never my intention. And please understand that as a serious apology.  Most of the time I'm keeping quiet in discussions because of the fear I got misunderstood. Well I should have stayed silent I suppose. I am sorry.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

January 3, 2016 11:18 am  #320

Mod's note:
No mixing up of characters and real life persons for the sake of character discussion. This is not acceptable. 
We have at least two Mary threads, so please move all in-depth discussions to these threads. I feel that this thread here is mainly for first reactions and general observations about the episode. Now that the whole forum is open to TAB it would make sense to continue in the various existing and new threads in order to avoid confusion and disputes. Thank you. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera