BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 10, 2012 10:14 pm  #1

Interview Jonny Lee Miller

There is an interview in the Radio Times on-line with Jonny Lee Miller. Can someone post the link please.

Not unexpectedly  the comments posted following the article are all negative.  A think a good point was made that if they really wanted to depart from what had been done before they could have made both Watson and Holmes women. Now that might have been a more interesting road to travel.

My only other observation, which may appear somewhat sad, is that Sherlock's scarf in the CBS version is pitifully mid-western in appearance. Perhaps he should wear a Stetson instead of a deerstalker too! This is not intended as an insult but it reminds me of On Golden Pond with the great Henry Fonda or Martin Crane from Frasier.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 10, 2012 11:16 pm  #2

Re: Interview Jonny Lee Miller

Is this the droid you're looking for?

The article is sparse, but the comments section, as you stated, is rich.

-m0r

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.

May 11, 2012 1:30 am  #3

I must say it's a little disappointing how negative people are being. The british adaptation isn't going to appeal to everyone and as has been stated, Sherlock Holmes has been an active franchise for over 100 years now. It's not like one more adaptation is going to destroy it. I honestly don't know if I'll enjoy it. I certainly won't enjoy it as much as the BBC one. But maybe the US version will appeal to more of the US population and introduce the works of Conan Doyle to a broader audience. That's not a bad thing.

Yes it's a bit on the nose that CBS are doing a modern adaptation due to the success of the one Moftiss did but they did offer Moffat the opportunity to do it and he turned them down. So now they're doing it themselves. Best of luck to them, think I'll stick with the BBC version but that doesn't mean the existence of the CBS version is going to do harm to the BBC version or to the franchise in general.

Sorry that became a bit of a rant. Just a bit over BBC Sherlockians behaving like Moftiss invented the brand. They didn't. Conan Doyle did.

Last edited by Wholocked (May 11, 2012 1:31 am)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I dislike being outnumbered. It makes for too much stupid in the room

September 9, 2012 11:01 pm  #4

Not really sure where to put this but here seemed appropriate.  There's a profile of Jonny Lee Miller in today's New York Times.  It's part of an article titled "New Arrivals, in High-Def: Breakout Actors of the New Television Season."  The section on JLM is copied below.  Here's the link to the whole article: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/09/arts/television/the-new-season-mamie-gummer-of-emily-owens-md.html?ref=todayspaper.

Jonny Lee Miller, ‘Elementary’

Jonny Lee Miller counts as a blessing that he knew early that he wanted to act. Performing in London school productions at 8, he had an agent by 9, parts on British TV in his teens and roles in movies like “Hackers"  and “Trainspotting“ in his 20s.

Now near 40, Mr. Miller is playing a modern-day Sherlock Holmes in the CBS drama “Elementary,"  Thursdays at 10.

“The challenge is to create a different version of the man,"  an offbeat loner and recovering drug addict, Mr. Miller said. Arthur Conan Doyle’s original character had a passing penchant for cocaine; here battling addiction takes center stage.

Besides putting Holmes in New York, the show has a female Dr. Watson (Lucy Liu). Her introduction suggests a sexual angle, a notion Mr. Miller dismisses: “That’s not really what you want from your Holmes and Watson, is it? It would have to be a different show, a different character entirely."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

Board footera