BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 8, 2016 2:02 pm  #21

Re: BA Thesis

sherlockian1990 wrote:

Hello guys, thanks once again for your tips and help. Soon I will start writing my chapter II but I have no clue how to start this chapter, I and III thanks to your tips are finished

I am ashamed but I have no idea for chapter II and I need some clues, help. 
Thank you all once again.

I'll give you once again the info of my chapter II:
The appearance of Sherlock Holmes.
- The appearance of Sherlock Holmes in the book and the film. - this is the most problematic one, I have no idea how should I start, describing it in the book and film, any example will save my life 
- Character traits.

ps. The book is: The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes

I think this site has the best physical description of Sherlock + the enumeration of his habits + you can click on the blue coloured numbers to check the citations in the original short stories and novels that describe Sherlock. It´s great!

https://www.arthur-conan-doyle.com/index.php/Sherlock_Holmes

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 8, 2016 2:10 pm  #22

One of Watson´s descriptions of Sherlock, his habits and his physical appearance appears in Study in Scarlet, in the Chapter 2 "Scence of Deduction", in the first three or four paragraphs:

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/244/244-h/244-h.htm

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 8, 2016 2:15 pm  #23

The beginning of Musgrave Ritual (a part of Memoirs) enumerates Sherlock´s more excentric habits:

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Musgrave_Ritual

February 8, 2016 2:21 pm  #24

The second paragraph of Yellow face (also a part of Memoirs) has some details about Sherlock´s exercising, his diet and his vices:

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Yellow_Face

February 8, 2016 2:24 pm  #25

The beginning of Greek Interpreter has details on Sherlock´s unemotional character as well as his ancestry:

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Greek_Interpreter

February 8, 2016 2:35 pm  #26

The Reigate Puzzle/Reigate Squires establishes at the beginning, that Holmes sometimes collapses from exertion (as a clear woraholic) and also, that he likes to reside in the solely bachelor establishments:

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Reigate_Puzzle

February 8, 2016 2:36 pm  #27

Wow , great findings , I can only use The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes , from 12 short stories his description in chapter II and from A game of Shadows , I'll be comparing Sherlock from The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes to from the film. The last 4 posts are mega useful.
https://www.arthur-conan-doyle.com/index.php/Sherlock_HolmesThat would be great but I cant find anything from The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes

ps. I watched films serveral times some time ago and I can't find out if there were any description of Sherlock, I mean Watson or .. say something about him, about his characteric traits ?

Last edited by sherlockian1990 (February 8, 2016 2:39 pm)

February 8, 2016 3:16 pm  #28

As for Sherlock´s physical appearance:

He is established as pale and thin in The Final Problem:

„It struck me that he was looking even paler and thinner than usual.“

In the same story, Moriarty comments „You have less frontal development that I should have expected,“ which means Sherlock´s skull is of fairly regular shape.

Mycroft shares some features with Sherlock, especially his „sharpness of expression“ and „the watery grey look in his eyes, as cited in Greek Interpreter: „Mycroft Holmes was a much larger and stouter man than Sherlock. His body was absolutely corpulent, but his face, though massive, had preserved something of the sharpness of expression which was so remarkable in that of his brother. His eyes, which were of a peculiarly light, watery grey, seemed to always retain that far-away, introspective look which I had only observed in Sherlock's when he was exerting his full powers.“

He has high, strident voice, according to The Stockbroker´s Clerk: „I was surprised, therefore, when, one morning in June, as I sat reading the British Medical Journal after breakfast, I heard a ring at the bell, followed by the high, somewhat strident tones of my old companion's voice.“

February 8, 2016 3:27 pm  #29

You can also cunningly use some Sidney Paget´s original illustrations from the Memoirs (you can find them at the same Doyle´s page, in their respective stories:

https://www.arthur-conan-doyle.com/index.php/Canon:Stories

and remark that Doyle was heavily influenced by them, which he freely admitted).

Sidney Paget modelled Holmes after his brother Walter Paget:

http://www.arionpress.com/paget2.html

February 8, 2016 4:37 pm  #30

Great clues... no words 

February 8, 2016 7:47 pm  #31

sherlockian1990 wrote:

ps. I watched films serveral times some time ago and I can't find out if there were any description of Sherlock, I mean Watson or .. say something about him, about his characteric traits ?

I think even from the mere look on photos we can state that Guy Ritchie´s Holmes:

a) is not that tall, but has only an average heigth
b) doesn´t have sharp features, his face is more rounded and looks almost melancholic and poetic, not stern
c) has brown eyes, not grey like Canon Holmes
d) is scruffy and unkept - Victorian Holmes would never leave the house so dishevelled, with wild hair and stubble on his face
e) is agile and athletic, never seems to be frail or weak... etc.

And his habits are even much more Bohemian and erratic and excentic that it´s in the original....

February 10, 2016 11:51 am  #32

Thanks for your tips! and sorry for asking for help, but I've got some idea how to start writing this chapter.

February 10, 2016 11:56 am  #33

sherlockian1990 wrote:

Thanks for your tips! and sorry for asking for help, but I've got some idea how to start writing this chapter.

If it was at least a bit useful for you, then all is well.

February 12, 2016 5:31 pm  #34

My supervisor told me that I can use any book(primar source conan doyle - so the site with quotes will be MEGA useful) , not only The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, so it will be much easier, ,because there is no much description of Sherlock in the The Memoirs ... ;)

Last edited by sherlockian1990 (February 12, 2016 6:24 pm)

February 20, 2016 12:56 pm  #35

Do you know any book/article (prefer book) on S.H appearance from the film 'A game of Shadows'? I've spent a while looking through internet but cant find anything.

March 19, 2016 2:40 pm  #36

Hello guys.
I have a one qestion. Do you think that I can add about Sherlock's opinion on the marriage to the Character Traits at the end or it does not make any sense? Do you know a character trait of person who does not like a marriage, or is there any? or should I add it to 'Private Life' or .. ? any ideas? Thanks! 

March 19, 2016 3:18 pm  #37

Personally I would love you to use BBC Sherlock's comments upon marriage, mainly because they represent my own!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 19, 2016 4:04 pm  #38

but what do you think about it what I want to do with this? Is this possible to attach it there?

Last edited by sherlockian1990 (March 19, 2016 4:26 pm)

March 19, 2016 5:42 pm  #39

Yes, I think it would fit there: to show how he speaks his mind and is not afraid to go against convention.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 19, 2016 5:46 pm  #40

Thanks mate!
One more question: Holmes's methods is correct or Holmes' ?

Holmes's vs Holmes' ? :> I saw that few authors use Holmes's some of them Holmes' , which one is the correct? 
I've been told that Holmes's is correct, but who knows, what do you think ?

Last edited by sherlockian1990 (March 19, 2016 5:53 pm)

Board footera