BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 14, 2016 8:28 pm  #81

Re: When a beloved celebrity dies

mrshouse wrote:

I loved him since Kevin Kostners " Robin Hood", he just blew me away at first sight.

Oh yes, same here. I was a huge Kevin Costner fan at the time, but I immediately had to admit that Alan was soooo much better in the film. Kevin Costner didn't really stand a chance against him. And ever since... I have never been a huge fan of Alan, but he impressed me again and again. I especially love him in a music video for a song by the band "Texas"... so sexy. And he completely broke my heart in "Truly, Madly, Deeply". *sigh*

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

January 14, 2016 8:46 pm  #82

Deep dark confession.  I have never watched Truly Madly Deeply.
This hole in my life must be filled.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 14, 2016 8:48 pm  #83

Greater confession for me: think I've only ever seen Alan in Harry Potter, well that I remember anyway.
Good actor.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 14, 2016 8:55 pm  #84

He was so versatile. Villain, comedian, but also very romantic as in "Love...actually" or even " Sense and Sensibility". Incredible, up to then I had not really considered him as being casted as romantic lover but HELL....Wonderful.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

January 14, 2016 9:07 pm  #85

mrshouse wrote:

This is so so sad.
I loved him since Kevin Kostners " Robin Hood", he just blew me away at first sight.

Same here. That's when I saw him first, and I was blown away as well by his performance (and, have to admit, his looks. He was gorgeous with his green-yellow eyes, black hair and movements). And his VOICE! Hilarious and awesome performance! I saw that movie again just now as a tribute.

And Snape... where to begin? Pure perfection. He completely stole every scene he was in.

Love Actually - so wonderfully played, so understated. He broke my heart. 

Die Hard... I don't like action movies but I watched Die Hard for him (and Die Hard 3 for Jeremy Irons). He blew me away again with the scene with the American accent. Wow... He even out-sighs Martin Freeman when he rolls his eyes. Or.. he did. *sobs*

Last edited by Vhanja (January 14, 2016 9:10 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

January 14, 2016 9:34 pm  #86

Alan and Texas

Last edited by Mattlocked (January 14, 2016 9:36 pm)

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

January 15, 2016 6:43 am  #87

tonnaree wrote:

Deep dark confession.  I have never watched Truly Madly Deeply.
This hole in my life must be filled.

Oh yes, it must!

If it's deep dark confession time I also confess that I have seen every single movie with him and he has had a profound influence on my life - in a way I can't really explain I'd never be where I am now if it hadn't been for him and his work. I'll forever be grateful for what he has brought into this world. Although he passed away at an age where you can say "he lived his life" I still feel he could have done so much more and it has been way too early. Just recently I researched that he was working on a new movie which I was looking forward to.
I didn't even know he was ill.
Ah I don't know what to say, I'm just very very sad..

January 15, 2016 6:44 am  #88

Yep, as with Bowie, I didn't know he was ill.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

January 15, 2016 8:47 am  #89

Also love that short film.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDop0Je7svk

P.S.: How does it work to attach videos like Mattlocked did?

Last edited by gently69 (January 15, 2016 8:52 am)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

January 15, 2016 9:19 am  #90

gently69 wrote:

[video] before the link.
And [/video] after the link

Usually works.

Not to forget Epic Tea Time.... It was some years ago somewhere (an art festival? can't look it up right now) on a biiiig screen... I can imagine how that must have felt. 
It is a bit.... strange. But I like it.

Last edited by Mattlocked (January 15, 2016 9:22 am)

January 15, 2016 9:34 am  #91

So sad to hear about Alan Rickman. It never would have occured to me he would leave us so soon...
This week is hellish indeed... first Bowie and now this....

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

January 15, 2016 9:35 am  #92

I read "I didn't knew he was ill" a lot these days both for Bowie and Rickman and I'm always thinking "well it wasn't announced beforehand that they have cancer" it only knew a handful of people, very close people to them.  And they were both very private person and especially Bowie he was rarely seen in the last 10 years. And he announced years ago that he wouldn't give interviews ever again.

I think that people are so used to that everything is known because of the social media. Because of those kind of people who give birth in front of cameras and such. I don't want to say it's a Kardashian (just to pick one of those unnecessary celebrities) thing when someone announced that he/she has cancer,  I'm sure it can help to make people aware of cancer and it might even help that person to talk about it. But I think most people don't want anyone to know, it's the most serious situation one can have in life, it is the fight for life! And I'll never get over the way the media handled Patrick Swayzes illness. It was so disgraceful.

Last edited by Ivy (January 15, 2016 9:36 am)

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

January 15, 2016 10:21 am  #93

Ivy, you are so right.
But it's the selfish me who wishes in situations like this, that they would have announced  SOMEthing a while ago, so I could have been prepared somehow.
But this is nonsense, I know, and it's just my current shock and sadness.
And one can't really prepare anyway, right?

There are celebrities who talk about their illness where- and whenever possible, maybe for honorable reasons, maybe not......
I mostly don't like that, either.

*sighs*

January 15, 2016 10:52 am  #94

Mattlocked wrote:

gently69 wrote:

[video] before the link.
And [/video] after the link

Usually works. 

Doesn't work.  Maybe I'm just too stupid.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

January 15, 2016 10:57 am  #95

Read the instruction on the Tech Help pages 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 15, 2016 10:59 am  #96

Mattlocked wrote:

Ivy, you are so right.
But it's the selfish me who wishes in situations like this, that they would have announced  SOMEthing a while ago, so I could have been prepared somehow.
But this is nonsense, I know, and it's just my current shock and sadness.
And one can't really prepare anyway, right?

*sighs*

Yes, this.. I'm well aware an illness is not of anyone's business, I was just shocked.

Btw It's heartbraking to read all the reactions of friends and former colleagues..

January 15, 2016 11:03 am  #97

Harriet wrote:

Read the instruction on the Tech Help pages

I did, Harriet, I did.

(Tony Hadley)

January 15, 2016 11:05 am  #98

okay, sometimes the roblem is the link. Not in this case... 

Last edited by Mattlocked (January 15, 2016 11:06 am)

January 15, 2016 11:08 am  #99

I don't know what the problem was. Thank you, Mattlocked.

Last edited by gently69 (January 15, 2016 11:08 am)

(Tony Hadley)

January 15, 2016 11:34 am  #100

Not to forget his reaction on Benedict's Alan Rickman Impression at Jimmy Fallon:

Board footera