BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 24, 2016 7:42 pm  #241

Re: When a beloved celebrity dies

Well done, Eric.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 5, 2016 12:29 am  #242

Darnit, 2016!!!   And now the great Muhammad Ali at 74.     Never closely followed him to have heard about all the things he did (and the varied headlines made), but hard not to at least know him as one of the greatest boxers, activists, and humanitarians there was.  This was the first article I came across about it, and I just like the short quote of being remembered in his own words, with a pic:

(and then I see my favorite Mr. Miranda paid tribute with a shot of the same quote, basically, but I find it very intriguing that this version isn't a 'edited-for-biography' version, just a more casual interview, with more personal things added that give him more color)

Very touching...   hope he and his family are at peace....

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

June 5, 2016 3:11 am  #243

I like the second version you posted better.

I know him as a famous, great boxer and for what he did as is shown in the excellent HBO film "Muhammad Ali's Greatest Fight," which is about when he refused to be drafted.

Clueing for looks.

June 5, 2016 10:14 am  #244

This really has been a rubbish year so far, hasn't it? And we're only halfway through...

Doomsteady on AO3 & Tumblr

June 5, 2016 3:36 pm  #245

When we hosted the 1996 Summer Olympics Ali it the cauldron.  It was a very emotional moment when he appeared before the crowd holding the torch.  Older and a bit shaky because of his disease, but still a giant of a man.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

June 5, 2016 3:40 pm  #246

Ali was a bit before my time, but I've always knew of him. And after his death I read about what he did when he was drafted, and my respect for him increased a tenfold. Great man! 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

June 5, 2016 3:52 pm  #247

Yes I must confess I've kind of stayed away from here as I'm not a fan, can't stand boxing.
But I applaud his pro-peace and anti-segregation stances

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

June 19, 2016 8:39 pm  #248

I'm sick and tired with this year.
Anton Yelchin, the wonderful Pawl Chekov from the young Star Trek generation, died in a car accident at the age of 27.
RIP 

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

June 19, 2016 8:51 pm  #249

Sad.

June 19, 2016 9:01 pm  #250

What the heck is wrong with 2016...?!
You are so right, mrshouse, Anton was a wonderful Chekov. And seeing him in a true trash movie, "Fright Night", with David Tennant, is so much fun...!

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 19, 2016 9:05 pm  #251

Yeah, just read about it. It's awful, sad and he was much too young. One reason why I love the new Star Trek movies are the wondeful actors, it will not be the same without him. 
It's enough, universe! Did you hear me! Enough mourning for one year. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

June 19, 2016 9:13 pm  #252

I only ever saw him in Star Trek, but I liked Checkov.  It's so sad that he died so young.

Clueing for looks.

June 20, 2016 5:32 am  #253

To be honest, I had to Goggle to see which one he was.
But as soon as I saw his pic I thought; oh him, he was dead sweet.

June 20, 2016 5:50 am  #254

That is so sad

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

June 20, 2016 5:52 am  #255

Yes it's just been on the news.
So young, very sad.

June 20, 2016 6:05 am  #256

I really only knew him from Star Trek, "Fright Night" and "Only Lovers Left Alive", but hey, he was only 27 yeras old. Who knows what other films and projects he could have done.
Incidentally, just a few weeks ago I went to a Convention (with gently and mrshouse) where Walter Koenig, the original Chekov, was one of the guests. And he was asked about the new movies and also about Anton and Walter talked about him so generously.... 

Last edited by SolarSystem (June 20, 2016 6:05 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

June 20, 2016 6:06 am  #257

I think it's brilliant that the Star Trek originals support their legacy...
I just love it all!

June 20, 2016 7:52 am  #258

SolarSystem wrote:

I really only knew him from Star Trek, "Fright Night" and "Only Lovers Left Alive", but hey, he was only 27 yeras old. Who knows what other films and projects he could have done.
Incidentally, just a few weeks ago I went to a Convention (with gently and mrshouse) where Walter Koenig, the original Chekov, was one of the guests. And he was asked about the new movies and also about Anton and Walter talked about him so generously.... 

Yes, Walter Koenig really liked the reincarnation of "his" Chekov character.
So young... so sad...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

June 20, 2016 8:08 am  #259

mrshouse wrote:

I'm sick and tired with this year.
Anton Yelchin, the wonderful Pawl Chekov from the young Star Trek generation, died in a car accident at the age of 27.
RIP

Devastating news. I really loved his potrayal of Chekhov, he was my favourite in that movie...
All that talent and light removed in one indiferent stroke of fate...
RIP, Anton.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

June 20, 2016 12:53 pm  #260

Heartbreaking.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

Board footera