BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 21, 2016 9:44 pm  #201

Re: When a beloved celebrity dies

Yitzock, we are 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foucault_pendulum

Last edited by Harriet (February 21, 2016 9:44 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

February 21, 2016 9:50 pm  #202

Ah, OK. Thank you, Harriet.
I do know about how the pendulum was used to prove that the earth rotated, but I didn't know the name attached to it.

Clueing for looks.

February 21, 2016 10:10 pm  #203

ukaunz wrote:

Authors Harper Lee and Umberto Eco have both passed away in the last few days
To Kill a Mockingbird and The Name of the Rose are two great books I read in my formative years.

Eco is dead? Nooooo....! 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 21, 2016 10:12 pm  #204

Such a brilliant mind! I can´t believe it... 

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

February 22, 2016 6:36 am  #205

Now I REALLY want to read Foucault's Pendulum!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

February 22, 2016 7:47 am  #206

Oh, I missed that. Really sad.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

February 22, 2016 11:42 pm  #207

Both really sad. The Name of the Rose is a stunning book. I absolutely loved reading it- devoured it voraciously actually.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

March 9, 2016 7:54 am  #208

Sir George Martin was a legend!

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

March 9, 2016 5:08 pm  #209

Indeed he was.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

March 10, 2016 9:32 am  #210

And now also Jon English. Not sure if anyone here have heard about him, but he was an English-born Australian musician and actor who became very popular in Norway after starring in the tv series "Against the Wind". He was my very first celeb crush, I was 13 years old.

I guess it's a sign of growing old, when more and more of your old heroes pass away.

Last edited by Vhanja (March 10, 2016 9:34 am)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

March 10, 2016 11:31 am  #211

Just googled him, Vhanja. I know him from the Australian TV series "All together now" that was on German TV, too.
Have to tell my father, he loved that show.

----------

March 29, 2016 11:47 am  #212

I just heard on the news that the relativly famous German jazz singer Roger Cicero died. I wasn't a fan but liked his music and I am a bit shocked about this. He was just 45 years old. Very sad. 

Last edited by stoertebeker (March 29, 2016 11:48 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

March 29, 2016 1:31 pm  #213

I wasn't a fan of him but it's still shocking. No cancer this time, but equally horrible, a stroke,

----------

March 29, 2016 1:52 pm  #214

No fan of him but a bit shoked as well. So unexpected and sad.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

March 31, 2016 11:35 am  #215

RIP Ronnie Corbett

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 31, 2016 6:07 pm  #216

Clever, funny and lovely man...lived to a good age.
I'm possibly more of a Barker girl.

April 1, 2016 1:16 pm  #217

Douglas Wilmer, one of Sherlock Holmes actors, passed away. What a pity! 

April 1, 2016 4:00 pm  #218

I know, very sad...
But a beautiful tribute from Mark.

April 21, 2016 5:41 pm  #219

You know what?  This year can go right to hell.
Legendary Music Icon Prince Dead At 57
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/legendary-music-icon-prince-dead-at-57_us_57190013e4b0c9244a7b2a5b

Last edited by tonnaree (April 21, 2016 5:42 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

April 21, 2016 5:43 pm  #220

This year has been unreal for those we've lost so far and it's still only April!
Mark paid a wonderful tribute to the lovely Victoria Wood yesterday and now Prince has gone.
Loved him.

Board footera