BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 28, 2015 3:49 pm  #521

Re: Secret Santa Fic Exchange 2015

Mmmhh, I think guessing is very difficult as it is nearly impossible to know every participant's style of writing. And I don't even want to start to whole ordeal of last year's discussion about native speakers again.
So, I really don't have many ideas. I would make a guess for 'The Advent Calendar' but on the other hand if I got it wrong the true author might be sad. So, no guessing for me either.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

December 28, 2015 3:54 pm  #522

Yes, I think it might go wrong even if people do not want to hurt anyone. I am very sure about some, with others I have not the slightest idea. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 28, 2015 3:59 pm  #523

I'm not familiar with the writing style of people on the forum outside of how they write their posts and that is likely to be different than how they write stories, so I am sure I have little to go on to guess. When I was talking about being surprised, I was thinking maybe the connection between certain authors and the subject matter of their stories have the potential to be unexpected based on what we know about each other as far as interests and reading preferences. I don't know whether anyone will have that experience during the reveal, but it could happen.

Clueing for looks.

December 28, 2015 7:22 pm  #524

First of all, I'm very annoyed with the people who still didn't hand in their fics. We got seven weeks to write a story that we could choose the length of. It's not a hard deadline to meet. Now we're one month after the deadline. It's so disrespectful. To us, to Schmiezi and especially for their recipients. Not cool.

Onto merrier things: guessing, I don't quite believe anyone can be so thin skinned that they get upset if someone attributes a fic to them that they didn't write, or attribute their fic to someone else. Last year it was just the native speaker discussion that got people upset, not the guessing itself. If we just stick to guessing and not into indepth language analysis, it should be fine IMO.

I tried guessing but there are so many people I don't know this year and so many stories; it's hard. I think I've got a fairly certain idea about A Singular Gentleman, though. Maybe Kerkerian or Schmiezi,  but I think Schmiezi.

December 28, 2015 7:27 pm  #525

Since we don't know what the reasons are, I would prefer being careful with judgements of any kind.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

December 28, 2015 7:40 pm  #526

I'm most sorry but I'm unfamiliar with the writing style of all participants save one. So it would be little use for me to start guessing.

December 28, 2015 7:43 pm  #527

I've tried to participate in the fest by writing a fic, offering beta services to whoever wanted it and reading all the fics and sharing my thoughts on them. It seems in sharing my thoughts I've offended some of you. I heartily apologise to each and everyone I may have hurt with my remarks. To deliberately hurt someone was never my intention.

December 28, 2015 8:13 pm  #528

Huh? No one is getting hurt. That was the whole point.

December 28, 2015 8:53 pm  #529

@dioscureantwins: I think you misunderstand something, you have done nothing wrong, everything is fine 

I just uttered the fear that guessing might upset someone snd silver was annoyed about those who still have not finished their stories. That's all we talked about.

Last edited by stoertebeker (December 28, 2015 8:54 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

December 28, 2015 9:07 pm  #530

Hi guys, hopefully Christmas was nice for everyone!
I didn't get to read and comment on most of the stories yet because I simply didn't find the time. Now that things are more relaxed, I'll probably do so once they're up on AO3, which is a bit easier on the eyes (well, if that doesn't make me sound old...).
I wish you all a happy New Year!

Last edited by Kerkerian (December 28, 2015 9:08 pm)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

December 29, 2015 9:53 am  #531

Oooh, the unveiling of the authors' identities! A huuuuuge round of applause and my deepest congratulations to all participants!

Crossing my fingers the two last remaining fics will indeed be up for 6th January!

I'm about to upload my fic to AO3's collection, and I happened to have written a little more mature scene (still, it's pretty vanilla). Is it all right if I post it along with the rest of the fic? Or should I make it into another chapter?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

December 29, 2015 10:20 am  #532

I think it would be fine. Maybe you could ask the recipient if they are okay with it but I do not see any problems. 

Thank you for revealing the authors, Schmiezi. I am happy to see that some of my guesses, er, deductions, were right. And a big thank you again to my author for the lovely story. 

P.S. Dioscurean, yes, I think it was a misunderstanding referring to last year's Secret Santa. Everything's fine. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 29, 2015 10:54 am  #533

SusiGo wrote:

Thank you for revealing the authors, Schmiezi. I am happy to see that some of my guesses, er, deductions, were right. And a big thank you again to my author for the lovely story. 

You are very welcome! I actually wrote a little note for you as well which was supposed to introduce the story, but then the formatting didn't work and I probably drove poor Schmiezi crazy with all the back and forth- I have to say that she was very patient (and much more competent regarding the computer stuff)- anyway, so in the process, the note didn't make it but at least the story did, somehow.

I'd also once again like to thank my author for my wonderful Secret Santa story!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Why, why? I mean, why, why?"
"Four excellent questions."

December 29, 2015 11:55 am  #534

The big reveal! How very exciting!
Thank you, thank you, thank you, dear Susi, for my lovely fic. I had a feeling it was you!! 
But please tell me: was I right with the two movies I could guess? What are the other ones?

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 29, 2015 11:57 am  #535

It was a pleasure to write for you. And, yes, you guessed correctly. The movies are:

The Comfort of Strangers (1990)
Death in Venice (1971)
Don't Look Now (1973)
Summertime (1955)

December 29, 2015 12:08 pm  #536

Aw, the first and the fourth I haven't seen so far. Must do some research.
And also from me a big applause for every participant, I think it takes some of us a bit of bravery to post a fic.
I couldn't guess a lot tbh. I just had an instant feeling that mine was written by Susi. The only other one I had a feeling about - but which proved to be wrong - was that Silver was the author of"A singular gentleman" because I know that she likes Mycroft and the Johnlock is so very careful that I wondered if it had been a non-shipper. 
And then it was one of the adamant shippers! Wonderful! 

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 29, 2015 12:22 pm  #537

Can I just say that I am humbled for the assumptions that Silver, Kerkerian or Schmiezi had written A Singular Gentleman? I adore you guys so much, I don't think I could ever take any other way such comparisons/guesses.

And, @mrshouse, given the era, I thought the Johnlock had to be pretty...careful. ;)
Oh, now I want to explore that...deeper

"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

December 29, 2015 6:48 pm  #538

Lilythiell wrote:

Can I just say that I am humbled for the assumptions that Silver, Kerkerian or Schmiezi had written A Singular Gentleman? I adore you guys so much, I don't think I could ever take any other way such comparisons/guesses.

Thank you so much dear. To be honest, I was very flattered by the assumption too. I am very impressed by the way you made use of the language in your fic. :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 29, 2015 6:55 pm  #539

Oh.

++ Thank you

December 29, 2015 7:30 pm  #540

@silverblaze
@stoertebeker
@SusiGo

Thank you for your kind responses.

Board footera