BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 16, 2015 8:26 am  #401

Re: Secret Santa Fic Exchange 2015

That is lovely, Solar.
I'm struggling with ideas

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 16, 2015 8:30 am  #402

A poem or a nice piece of fanart could be a nice substitution. Althrough it´s an unpleasant situation. But you did all you could, Schmiezi and you should not be too sad, you did splendid work with a Secret Santa anyway. I think the authors who could not make it this year shouldn´t be afraid too and contact you. We are all adults here, it should be normal to explain why they can´t hand you a fic. Why all this hiding? No one bites here....

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 16, 2015 8:31 am  #403

I agree, this is "a bit not good".
I agree with the idea of producing something, even if small.
I, for one, am willing to find time to come up with something.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

December 16, 2015 8:33 am  #404

I also would like to thank Schmiezi for all the work and love she put into this. I hope she will continue to do so next year and will give her all the help needed to make it a completely pleasant experience for all participants. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 16, 2015 8:36 am  #405

Yes! Thank you very much indeed, Schmiezi!

"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 16, 2015 8:36 am  #406

SusiGo wrote:

I also would like to thank Schmiezi for all the work and love she put into this. I hope she will continue to do so next year and will give her all the help needed to make it a completely pleasant experience for all participants. 

I´ll second that. Thank you, Schmiezi!

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 16, 2015 8:53 am  #407

My fic is DONE!! And I can't seem to convert it to HTML. HELLLLLLP!!!

December 16, 2015 8:55 am  #408

SusiGo wrote:

I couldn't agree more!
Thank you, Schmiezi!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

December 16, 2015 8:56 am  #409

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

On the first page of this thread, silverblaze posted a post containing a very handy HTML converter. Just look it up and you have it converted in a whiff.

December 16, 2015 8:57 am  #410

silverblaze wrote:

Found it!

For anyone who's new: you can't just copy paste your word file (or pages or whatever you're using) onto the forum, it needs to be converted to bbcode, which is a form of shortened html. Otherwise, your formatting goes to the dogs; you'll have no line breaks, no bold and italics etcetera. Basically, it'll be unreadable. So last year, we had these converters. 

This is the technical thread with a few options: http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=5799

This is the two step method, I used eventually, thanks to Susi: 

What you do is, after you've finished writing your story (or while you're writing it) you make sure that you write all your bold, italics and underlined text with the html commands. Those commands can be found here.
http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_formatting.asp

Then you can convert to html here: 
http://document.online-convert.com/convert-to-html

You save the html file and now you can convert it to bbcode with this converter: 
http://www.seabreezecomputers.com/html2bbcode/
Note: do NOT use the source code to paste into the converter, you need the normal text from the html file. 

The bbcode cannot be saved, it's the html that you need to send to Schmiezi, however, you need to convert to bbcode in order to check whether it works on the forum. This can be done as follows: 

Start a new topic, create a title, and check your text with the preview function so no one can see what you're doing. 

When everything looks as it should, you can send your html file to Schmiezi so she can copy paste it into the converter without having to do any editing herself. 

This is the post I was speaking about.

December 16, 2015 8:58 am  #411

@Raven, do it exactly as described in Silver's post right at the beginning of this thread.
Mind to use the right brackets though!
And in the second step (that is converting to BBCcode and testing the text here on the forum in a preview) mind that during that converting you cannot see anything different in the text.
Hope that helps.

December 16, 2015 8:58 am  #412

nakahara wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

On the first page of this thread, silverblaze posted a post containing a very handy HTML converter. Just look it up and you have it converted in a whiff.

I tried using it, and it didn't work. :-( 

Sigh. 

December 16, 2015 8:59 am  #413

What I have is an Open Office Doc-- I don't understand HTML at all. I'll give it a shot, but--- hoo-boy. 

December 16, 2015 9:04 am  #414

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

What I have is an Open Office Doc-- I don't understand HTML at all. I'll give it a shot, but--- hoo-boy. 

Harriet is our technical wizard here. Maybe she could help you, if you ask her via PM?

December 16, 2015 9:13 am  #415

Raven, if you paste the text in BBC Code in here, you will see no changes. Click on "preview", then you should get the text the way it will be published and you can check if everything is correct. I struggled myself as well but in the end it worked that way. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 16, 2015 9:25 am  #416

Hm, what exactly didn't work, Raven? Try to describe, maybe we get an idea then?

December 16, 2015 9:32 am  #417

SusiGo wrote:

Raven, if you paste the text in BBC Code in here, you will see no changes. Click on "preview", then you should get the text the way it will be published and you can check if everything is correct. I struggled myself as well but in the end it worked that way. 

Do you mean just past the doc into the forum? I am sorry--- this is really not my strong suit. 

So, I deleted the fic I posted here-- because that was wrong. I'm going to try it with the BBC HTML tomorrow-- I;m about to beat my head against my desk.... this is where I become a complete moron...

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (December 16, 2015 9:58 am)

December 16, 2015 9:45 am  #418

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

Do you mean just past the doc into the forum? I am sorry--- this is really not my strong suit. 

No. I'll try to explain:
1) First you have to sign all the words or lines that you would like to have in italics or bold according to the examples in Silverblaze's first link.
2) You safe your document in a folder.
3) You go the the HTML-Converter, that is Silver's second link. There you hit the button to search your office-document in the folder and click on "convert to HTML". That you have to safe as well and that is the format you have to send to Schmiezi.
3) To have a check if everything will be written according to your wishes you hit the third one of Silvers links. Copy your HTML-doc, which you have safed before, and transfer it into the blank box, hit the button "Convert HTML to BBC". You won't see any alterations now nor are you able to safe this one.
4) BUT you can copy it, open a new topic here in all secrecy, hit the button "Preview", have a check if it works out fine and delete it again.

December 16, 2015 9:52 am  #419

Plus, I might add: when you put your doc file into the HTML converter and click on "convert", the converted file does not automatically appear on your PC, but it is saved on the convertor page first. Open this "storage place" with the function that should be visible on your PC when you click on the icon (a star, an arrow or something like that) in the right corner of your screen and when the storage opens, just drag your HTML file on the screen of your PC using a right-click.

December 16, 2015 9:55 am  #420

Gonna go try again. At some point, I have to go to bed-- gotta go to work!

Board footera