BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 6, 2015 2:01 pm  #301

Re: Secret Santa Fic Exchange 2015

Oooooh, reading!
*grabby hands*

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

December 6, 2015 4:58 pm  #302

Letter from the past
So this fic is not something I'd normally read but it's great to read something so different sometimes. 

I always love it when someone brings Victor Trevor into a fic. There's such a mysterious quality about that character that always entices me. I really hope they'll bring him into the show sometimes. This version of him was sweet and I liked the fact that you didn't make him into a villain. 

What a different take on Johnlock compared to what we normally see! Almost every shippy fic I've ever read always had them come together in a sweet way but this... not sweet at all.

Poor Victor is discarded so heartlessly! But maybe there's time between the picture and the texts in which the relationship had already cooled, we don't know, I kinda hope it for Victors. And then John totally invades Sherlock's personal space, reads a letter that's none of his business and then has the guts to get angry even though they're not in a relationship and Sherlock doesn't owe him an explanation for his personal life. 

Kudos for thinking out of the box. It must have been an interesting ride to come up with the darker versions of those characters. Thank you for dark johnlock.

December 6, 2015 8:54 pm  #303

The Advent Calendar

YAY! Great to see this long and intricate casefic posted early on in the exchange so people have plenty of time to read it and comment on it. This casefic belongs to the category I enjoy reading very much. It's all about the case and not about romance, the case is fully believable, complete with the necessary setbacks, not too many murders and a proper heroic role for everyone. And each of the characters is very much IC throughout.
I do confess to being a little bit annoyed when I got this to beta, for I knew I could never hit upon such a good idea for a casefic myself. That's actually a compliment, isn't it?

Excellent read.

December 6, 2015 9:01 pm  #304

So sorry I hadn't got time to comment earlier -family's been around, it was distracting.

The Advent Calendar

Oh, it’s Christmas!
Of course Sherlock would find no interest in Christmas or anything Christmassy…!
I liked the creativity of the case, and how it all stares you in the face. And like dioscurantwins said, it was a believable casefic, with the right amount of clues, and a frankly believable motive, as well.
The fact that there were two cases at the same time –relationships and Santa– was very nice!
I loved the mind palace scenes, they were very much reminiscent of HLV –apart from MindPalace!John who’s way meaner in your universe than what is shown in BBC Sherlock!verse in which he’s mean before they get reunited and afterwards he’s helpful as ever. Sherlock’s got a poor opinion of himself, hasn’t he?
I particularly liked Mrs Hudson’s intervention, solver of human interactions problems! Of course she’d help in that respect! That’s not only England who’d fall were she to leave Baker Street.
And every character had a more or less important role to play in here – that must be mentioned
I liked the very, very frequent use of phones, very much in accordance with the show. And realistic –there are times when your phone doesn’t have signal, after all.
I liked very much the lesson on emotions, a lesson that Sherlock is beginning to learn…How you finished the story, in saying that it took him a moment before it kicked in, was quite in character.

Thank you, unknown author

"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

December 6, 2015 9:49 pm  #305

Letter from the past

Aw, I loved this! It had everything I'd requested...and Viclock! I loved the little intro, John having to find things for Sherlock, and how it sets up their relationship and describes their habits (and even the flat!) I loved the letter. I loved the way Victor talks to Sherlock. *swoons*
I loved Jealous!John, and I loved that after storming off Sherlock realised he had to come back and reassure John (though I did feel for Victor but hey - you can't have both!
It was such a fun and cute story to read, and very well written. Thank you unknown author!!

ps I also apologise for not having commented on other stories, I've been so busy recently but I will come back and read+comment! x

Last edited by Dorothy83 (December 6, 2015 9:49 pm)

December 7, 2015 8:41 am  #306

A Singular Gentleman
That was really interesting. Though the topic isn't exactly my taste, I thought it was very well written and finds the spirit  of the Victorian time.
Well done, dear unknown author.

And hopefully I manage it to read the two following fics today.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

December 7, 2015 1:39 pm  #307

I am not quite finished with the last story, so I will comment on that one later. But I would like to give my thoughts about the two stories prior.

A Singular Gentleman
I was very impressed about the speech in this story - the way of storytelling as well as the dialogues. I have to admit, I had some difficulties reading it because it was not the kind of story I usually read therefore I am not familiar with this kind of speech. But nevertheless it was fabulous and it made the story very authentic and vivid. I was very fond of Mrs. Hudson in this story and liked especially the scene when she was gossiping with Billy . Of course she already knew that the boys had fallen for each other

Letter from the Past
I also find stories with Victor Trevor interessting because he is a very mysterious element of Sherlock's past. I seriously hope that he will be in the show one day (preferably played by James McAvoy ). I read many stories in which Victor is more of a bad character, like an abusive ex-boyfriend or someone who brought Sherlock to the drugs. I am glad that this story didn't went that way. Though Sherlock's drug use was mentioned in the letter it still remained open which role Victor played regarding this part of Sherlock's past. But my interpretation is that Sherlock, after he met John, was finally able to put his past completly behind, including Victor. Therefore I didn't felt any pity for Victor (yeah, I am a cold-hearted bastard ). A prequel and/or sequel to this story would be really nice

Last edited by stoertebeker (December 7, 2015 1:40 pm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

December 7, 2015 2:21 pm  #308

Finally I'm able to catch up reading, things were busy here!

A Singular Gentleman

This was so beautifully written! And had such great descriptions and atmosphere!
Thank you so much for this extraordinary story!!

And I need to apologize for apparently having produced a misunderstanding... I thought the scond question of the questionaire was about things we were okay with or we liked... I didn't mean them to be prompts, too! And now I am overwhelmed because I got teenlock AND victorian AND a case AND... well, I feel humbled. 
I was really impressed by how you included everything into the story, dear author!!

I loved Mrs. Hudson, she is such a great character and came across as very authentic and caring and lovely, but also showed a bit of authority... 

Horseriding... great! I do it myself and I love the idea of them riding over the estate...! :-)

Mycroft was also very interesting and I loved how he silently covers for Sherlock and John  instead of making a great fuss. I like to see him supportive like this.

Molly and Greg also had this great in-character appearance... I can imagine how Molly adores Sherlock and his violin skills. and drinks lots of wine... she's such a sweet girl.

The description of the intruder and thief made me shiver... he seems really dangerous.

The language fit the setting so very well, it was all very authentic and great to read! The dialogues were great and I loved the way they speak! the language was very impressive, it takes talent to write this I'm sure!!
I could imagine everything very well, the house and the room were Sherlock plays... it came all very much alive while reading :-) and the dialogue was full of humour, the story gave me a lovely warm feeling.
the snow falling in the end...christmas season feelings! it's all about love :-)

But the best part... that was the description of the violin playing... I could picture it and even hear it, I'm amazed at the way the music came alive just through words!! wow!

And of course the dialogue part between Sherlock and dear Mr. Watson 
"-and nothing more"
"-in the eyes of the world"
Awwww 
Such a sweet way they get together and how they are so very sure in spite of the difficulties of the time.

thanks so much for this beautiful story!!!

Last edited by Whisky (December 7, 2015 2:32 pm)

"It is what it is."

December 7, 2015 6:17 pm  #309

The Advent Calender

Not the kind of fic I would normally read - I am very into angst and sadness at the moment - but that is what makes the SSFE so special. It makes you read different stuff.

I like the way you included the mind palace, dear unknown author. Reading about such a harsh mind palace John was very interesting.

The case itself was well thought through. I love how you mixed Christmas and a case fic.

And the Cotswolds. There is a unit about that area in our english books and I have just finished it with my course. (The pupils could not say Cotswolds straight faced because it sounds a bit like the German word for "puke".)

I am sure that your santa reader is very happy about all the work you've put into their fic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 7, 2015 6:29 pm  #310

Ahhhh! Finally got to finish The Advent Calendar after being too bogged down with studying to read the whole thing yesterday.

First of all, THANK YOU! I realize that my combination of prompts may have been a tall order, but you included them all and the whole story was written magnificently.

Don't know if Schmiezi times this on purpose, but since it was posted yesterday and that was when I started reading it, it was kind of cool to read that scene early on in the story, that took place on December 6th, on December 6th. Ha.

I was very impressed by your use of real locations, and I did google the cathedral.  Nice!

Going back to what I said earlier, you really included everything that I wanted in the story beautifully and skillfully and much more inventively than I could have ever anticipated.  The mystery was brilliant! It had me on the edge of my seat with suspense and I had no idea how it would be solved, and when it was it was amazing.

I also loved the Mind Palace bits, which were a nice addition that I did not specifically mention in my request.  I love the way all the characters formed in there and how Mrs. Hudson was able to get Sherlock to think.  And gosh, what a trooper Mary was when her moment came.  I don't know if you are included in that group, but I know not everyone here likes Mary, so if you are one of them I thank you for putting up with my request and writing her part splendidly.

You got all the characters down, nobody seemed out of character to me.

Thank you again for taking the time to write this, yet-to-be-revealed author, it was truly a treat to read this, a perfect gift in every way.
If you ever post this on AO3 later on in the New Year, I will bookmark it straight away and leave you the much-deserved kudos.

Last edited by Yitzock (December 7, 2015 6:32 pm)

Clueing for looks.

December 7, 2015 10:01 pm  #311

Advent Calendar

I´m glad that after a few romantic stories we finally have a pure, unadulterated case-fic for a change, a nice thrilling piece with an emphasis on Sherlock and on the unique workings of his mind. I have enjoyed this story immensely, it was very suspenseful and cleverly written. Mysterious scenes like "reindeers in the forest" or "the great showdown in the catedral" were quite breathtaking and glued me to the PC. You played with our anticipantion quite masterfully in them and then surprised us greatly with your ingenious solutions, which is not easy and so kudos to you, you pulled it perfectly.

I greatly admire the way in which you interwove the visions from Sherlock´s mind palace, his deductions, fears and nightmares together with the physical reality surrounding him, never losing the thread of your plot and yet changing the nature of Sherlock´s observations every minute. That had to be a hell to write and yet, once again, you managed to let it flow in a very natural manner which never felt forced. I think you also managed to portray the way in which Sherlock perceives the world perfectly and showed us, why he seems so out of touch with reality sometimes, very convincingly. It is not easy to function if your mind is so overwhelmed with sensations and you let us walk in Sherlock´s shoes to experience that for a while. Thank you for that, dear unknown author.

I loved the message you cleverly hid into your case about how acceptation our mistakes and weaknesses makes us stronger and helps us to connect with others. And it was a great idea to let this "revelation" help Sherlock solve the case successfuly, it was much more poignant that way. The juxtaposition of Sherlock who managed to find his "humanity" through this knowledge and of the perpetrator who was consumed by his feelings of superiority could not have been more chilling.

The only thing which was hard to swallow for me in this story was the role of Mary. But not because she was badly written or something similar. Quite the opposite - you used her ingenuously and explained very nicely why it had to be her who could enter the cathedral without rousing the suspicion of the criminal. And she didn´t stick like a sore thumb from the action, she blended in very smoothly. Still, I couldn´t quite accept her in the role of an impromptu "Sherlock´s mentor", that role seemed incongruous for somebody who shot Sherlock. But that just me. I´m sure people who like Mary would have no problem with that. 

Very enjoyable and thrilling tale sprinkled with sageness and interesting insights into human mind. Great fic all around. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 8, 2015 8:02 am  #312

Advent Calendar

That was certainly not what I expected when reading the title and the first sentences. What a well and thoroughly plotted case fic, consistent and with a lot of suspense. Wonderful christmassy atmosphere in the winterly Cotswolds, yet very believable as crime scenes.
As already mentioned, dear unknown author, you get extra kudos for the mind palace scenes. Very well done, and nice references to the ones we've had  in the show so far.
At the beginning I thought that maybe Sherlock is a bit too snarky and unlikeable, but it became quickly apparent that developing away from this stance was part of the story. That's why the last sentence touched me very much: he's not alone and gets a little sign of approving affection from his best friend (he had so little of that in S3). And, yes, I have to agree with nakahara, that a Mary as shown here, might be a bit hard to digest if you are in the "group" as Yitzock put it (that sounds like a weird cult ).
But this is Yitzock's story and it is for her to enjoy.
And everybody else had plenty to enjoy as well, thank you very much, dear unknown author!

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 8, 2015 10:04 am  #313

The World
Charming and funny little domestic exchange, there! Something that John would reply to Sherlock (and Sherlock would absolutely WANT to know, obviously). Thank you, Santa!

(All) Good Things
What a nice retirement fic!
That call immediately pulled me in, I needed to know more. Well done!
Anna taking after her Pa and becoming an Inspector is really a nice touch. Couldn’t imagine her in another type of work, tbh.
That’s a very, very silly reaction given that it was just the beginning of the fic (!) but “It is time” made me think of something totally different, and much more dramatic.
Sherlock would be the same as ever, even in old age. I’m glad his relationship with his brother softened, somehow.
Their first kiss…Quite the opposite reaction John usually has (headbutt in TEH…) but so…adequate!
Some humour in here (because I found it rather bittersweet, to be honest. Not that I mind. God, no!) was really great, helped ease the somewhat tense atmosphere. Pink! Ha! Loved that!
I really liked the fact that the two of them got together because John realised they already were together. Nice.
I liked how you inserted every character of the show in it…and developed that of the Skull, as well. Sir William! Ha, really liked that!
And the various flashbacks were nice, as well. As well as the whole plush toy scene.
Thank you, unknown author, for offering us a reaaaally decent retirement!lock
That reminded me that I also liked these, and I shall find others to indulge in. Mwahahahaha!

Last edited by Lilythiell (December 15, 2015 9:56 pm)

December 8, 2015 9:28 pm  #314

(All) Good Things

Okay, so both Johnlock and retirement fics aren't exactly my two favourite story subjects but I thought this a very sweet and moving story.

December 8, 2015 9:31 pm  #315

(All) Good Things

What a warm-hearted and well-constructed fic. I like the retirement story framing flashbacks telling us the whole family story of Sherlock, John, and Anna. You are dealing with difficult subjects like death and old age and loss of home but it never feels hopeless or depressing. 
One of my personal favourites ist the JUST. DON'T. LEAVE scene. Sherlock getting desperate and thereby winning John forever. 
I love the idea of 82-year-old Greg trekking through Australia with his wife. 
Nice allusion to our beloved German Steiff animals.
And you gave me the chance to deduce a pregnancy earlier than Sherlock AND John. This made me very happy. 

Thank you, dear unknown author, for this lovely read. 

Last edited by SusiGo (December 8, 2015 9:31 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 9, 2015 9:27 am  #316

(All) Good Things

I really, really loved this one.
I hardly know where to begin: very capturing structure of story telling with the flash backs. They made me very impatient, when I had just been into the one time level it changed and made curious about the other one. I'm not usually into parentlock, but this one was very realistic and warmhearted and lovely. Anna is such a wonderful female character! She's strong, intelligent and very warm and loveable. Kudos to this great female character!
The little scenes of Sherlock's and John#s first kisses were just wonderful, very tender and affecting. It is just clear that those two are meant to be. Wonderful use of the side characters I love so much, but Mrs. Hudson's death, oh my, you had me on the floor there!
Extra kudos for one little thing: the scene where Anna learns about her mother. Not because I am spiteful. But because this is so much more realistic, deeds have consequences than just using Mary's past for a suspense and a corny reunion scene andd then carefully blocking out the rest. You have showed that it can be done realistically also in the fictional world of "Sherlock".
Thank you, dear unknown author.

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

December 9, 2015 1:25 pm  #317

(All) Good Things

I must confess, I am not much into retirement fics. I usually don´t understand what appeal is there in Sherlock retired and being deprived of the meaning of his existence – the cases. That´s why this Secret Santa Exchange is so good – it makes you read about the themes that you would avoid under normal circumstances. It was similar with this story. It is not the type of a story I would usually try to read, but I did and I am very glad to do so – it was beautiful.

Dear author, in your story you managed to give us the masterful description of the life well-lived, tempestuos and troubled at times, full of warmth, harmony and love at other moments, life lived to the full... and in a few words, you wonderfully enumerated the list of all the good things that happened to our heroes, indeed. I greatly enjoyed the mosaic of present moments and flashbacks you used to built up the suspense in your story – the structure worked perfectly for me. It was almost magical how we could look into one fragment of our heroes lives , then into another – as if they were the shards of a big mirror of the past-and-present... very lovely effect.

You also did a very good job with Anna. Adding an original character to the row of characters already established can be very risky, it may not work for the readers if done incorrectly... but Anna felt as if she was in the story from the very start, just one of the characters we have seen in the show... and she was very sympathetic and feminine, but never ceased to be strong. Relatable and lively, I would tell...

I still can´t get over the manner in which you described the emotionaly charged situation in your fic. Sherlock´s stroke, Greg´s retirement, Mrs. Hudson´s passing, abandonemnet of Baker Street... it was all so moving. Even Mary... I don´t like her character much and yet here I felt so sorry for her... the scene in which she gave up her daughter was heartbreaking and you really milked our emotions so much in this sequence, dear author, adding details like „Mary kissing her baby goodbye“, „baby cooing happily, not knowing that she´s being abandoned“ etc, that I must reatroactively apologise to the person who wrote „Advent Calendar“. I would rather have Mary as a part of a team, alive and unshakable, then relive this emotional torture... (but it was only torture in a good sense of the word, hehehe).

The last thing I must definitely praise is an easy-going style in which the story was written. It flowed smoothly like the waves of a big river, pouring itself into the delta of warmheartedness, tenderness and life-wisdom. It was really a magnificent Christmas tale, thank you so much that you enabled us to read it and kudos to your writing sklls, dear author.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

December 9, 2015 7:23 pm  #318

The Adventure of the Mechanical Turk

Wow, anon, what a truly marvellous tale you've wrought here for us.What's there not to like about this wonderfully imaginative fic. I'll try to enumerate what struck me the most.
1. The fact that this is a very clever casefic in true ACD style. We have Watson doing a bit of his own detecting and of course every conclusion he draws is wrong and yet in the meantime without Watson Holmes would have lost his life.
2. The beautifully atmospheric language which was such a pleasure to read and very fitting to the tale.
3. The mechanical turk. Peter Carey's latest (a not very worthwhile read but all right, it's Peter Carey) dealt with the German manufacturers of these mechanical toys that once were all the rage in Europe and it was lovely to have one featuring here and playing such an essential role.
4, The many details you provided that really recreated the Victorian times, complete with the unhealty yellow fog that covered London in those days.

In short, this is a truly gorgeous present you've written and I can't but shout out loud: Brava!

December 9, 2015 9:04 pm  #319

The Adventure of the Mechanical Turk

First of all, I am very, very angry at you, dear unknown author! Want to know why? Because I had so much work today and instead read everywhere, even in the kitchen while stirring the sauce. And then I had to finish my work in the evening, just so you know. 

Of course you will have deduced by now that I love your fic! Wow!

You skillfully captured the Canon style with all its Victorian eloquence. You managed to conjure images of the stately house and the wintry London streets, of all the precious interiors and dark corners. And your description of the intricate mechanical Turk - hats off! I love how you built the story around this mysterious device and its secret hiding place. 

And then there are the characters that are so convincing and lovingly conceived, the major characters as well as the many minor characters. Do not get me started on jealous but protective and hopelessly-in-love Watson. And Holmes who is brilliant and self-assured in his work but shy and insecure and hopelessly-in-love in his private life. The scene in the carriage, sigh. And the Ghazal and the pocket watch. 

And the plot itself is inventive and also very worthy of ACD. The story of Robert Kelly and his children creates a heartwarming contrast to Johnson's ruthless villainy.

What did I forget? Ah, yes, the use of "Sherlock" and "John" which is wonderfully intimate and symbolic of their relationship. 

And I thank you for "the manly physical reaction in his nether regions". This is destined to become a classic. 

So, thank you again for keeping me from work and giving me so much pleasure, dear unknown author. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

December 10, 2015 5:16 am  #320

I just need to let some of you know that in six days I will run out of fics again because there are still some fics missing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

Board footera