BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 29, 2015 5:55 pm  #221

Re: Secret Santa Fic Exchange 2015

Don´t be afraid, I´ll send you my fic on 1. or 2. of December. So you will have more to post. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 29, 2015 8:13 pm  #222

I'm happy to tell you all that I've just finished. I'm taking a short break (an hour, tops) and will start the fun part of editing, then send it to my betas (both these parts will be finished before midnight).

=)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

November 30, 2015 12:21 am  #223

Finished. I wonder why I had such inspiration these last two days, and not before.
I need a title, though. It's been called "Why does it need a title for?" for wayyyy too long. One of my betas says "you don't need a title", and the other doesn't know. Ugh!

Schmiezi, is it all right if I send you the converted fic without its title?? Who knows, I might be struck by a brilliant idea tomorrow at work, but so far I've got nothing :/

"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

November 30, 2015 10:51 am  #224

Writing the final scene today. At last!

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

November 30, 2015 6:47 pm  #225

Giving it my utmost. Over 15,000 words and the end is finally near.

November 30, 2015 8:40 pm  #226

Schmiezi wrote:

Here is my plan about when to post the fics. What do you think?

01.12.15 Fic 1
02.12.15  ---
03.12.15 Fic 2
04.12.15 ---
05.12.15 Fic 3
06.12.15 ---
07.12.15 Fic 4
08.12.15 ---
09.12.15 Fic 5
10.12.15 ---
11.12.15 Fic 6
12.12.15 ---
13.12.15 Fic 7
14.12.15 Fic 8
15.12.15 Fic 9
16.12.15 Fic 10
17.12.15 Fic 11
18.12.15 Fic 12
19.12.15 Fic 13
20.12.15 Fic 14
21.12.15 Fic 15
22.12.15 Fic 16
23.12.15 Fic 17
24.12.15 Fic 18
25.12.15 Fic 19
26.12.15 Fic 20
27.12.15 Fic 21

There are a few gaps in the beginning. If someone has something to fill them (pics, fun fics, whatever), please contact me.

If it is possible I would suggest that the last story will be posted on the 24th. From the last two years I got the impression that the fics posted on the 25th and 26th didn't get the attention they would deserve because many of us are very busy over Christmas so these stories didn't received much comments. I think that's very sad for the authors.
Please don't see this as criticism, it's just a suggestion in case you have been flooded with finished fics by now  If it is possible, than I would prefer it this way but I see the problem and with your idea we'll have entertainment until the end of the year 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"There is a place for people like you, the desperate, the terrified. The ones with nowhere else to run."
"What place?"
"221B Baker Street."

November 30, 2015 8:45 pm  #227

I'll have mine finished by next weekend. I just got slapped upside the head by life!

November 30, 2015 8:55 pm  #228

stoertebeker wrote:

If it is possible I would suggest that the last story will be posted on the 24th. From the last two years I got the impression that the fics posted on the 25th and 26th didn't get the attention they would deserve because many of us are very busy over Christmas so these stories didn't received much comments. I think that's very sad for the authors.
Please don't see this as criticism, it's just a suggestion in case you have been flooded with finished fics by now  If it is possible, than I would prefer it this way but I see the problem and with your idea we'll have entertainment until the end of the year 

I love the idea of ending on the 24th. I think I suggested thst last year but somehow we ended up with fics posted on 25th and 26th as well. :-) What does everybody else think?

BTW, the finished fics I got will last until the 9th but I am sure that there will be a lot more in my mailbox tomorrow. ;-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

November 30, 2015 9:13 pm  #229

stoertebeker wrote:

Please don't see this as criticism, it's just a suggestion in case you have been flooded with finished fics by now If it is possible, than I would prefer it this way but I see the problem and with your idea we'll have entertainment until the end of the year

It didn't help that the last two fics last year were also the longest. 

Just generally I'd just like to remind people to what Susi said in the beginning and please read the stories and leave a comment. Last year, it was really the same people every time who commented and others didn't comment at all or only on their own story. 

Of course not every story will be the type of story you'd normally like to read and not every writer here is Shakespeare but that's also what makes this so much fun. Even if the story isn't your particular cup of tea, you can usually still find elements that you liked, or just appreciate the writer's effords or creativity. 

Also, reading and commenting on a story doesn't take that long, usually not more than an hour. Most people, unless you have ten screaming kids running around, still have an hour in a day where they can read. 

So we have five finished fics, seven who said they'd be late, that's twelve, what about the other 19? 

November 30, 2015 9:14 pm  #230

I agree that it would nice to have kind of be like an advent calendar of fics, and people are less likely to miss reading them until later if the stories are all posted before Christmas.

Clueing for looks.

November 30, 2015 9:22 pm  #231

I would be fine with ending on the 24th if it works for you, Schmiezi. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

November 30, 2015 9:22 pm  #232

An advent calendar. I like that idea. 

EDIT: IMPORTANT NOTE FOR PEOPLE TYPING THE HTML FOR BOLD AND ITALICS

Use the square brackets that we also use on the forum [ ]  not the pointy ones < > that were used in the example!

Sorry, my bad, I should've used a better example but for bold it'll be [ b ] and [ /b ]  and for italics [ i ] and [ /i ] without th spaces of course. 

Last edited by silverblaze (November 30, 2015 9:40 pm)

November 30, 2015 9:59 pm  #233

I'm working to finish it tonight, but not sure I'll manage as I said to you Schmiezi   However I have only a really small part to finish, so if not tonight I'll have it done by tomorrow/Wednesday. Would that be ok?

November 30, 2015 10:13 pm  #234

silverblaze wrote:

An advent calendar. I like that idea. 

EDIT: IMPORTANT NOTE FOR PEOPLE TYPING THE HTML FOR BOLD AND ITALICS

Use the square brackets that we also use on the forum [ ]  not the pointy ones < > that were used in the example!

Sorry, my bad, I should've used a better example but for bold it'll be [ b ] and [ /b ]  and for italics [ i ] and [ /i ] without th spaces of course. 

A bit late for me on that front.  I realize that the forum uses BBCode, but I thought that the html version was the one we were supposed to send in, since the converter fixes it anyway.  I guess I misunderstood the instructions.
Sorry, Schmiezi, if that makes it difficult, but the conversion that was linked to on the 1st page fixes it in 2 seconds.

Clueing for looks.

November 30, 2015 10:37 pm  #235

Yeah, I thought it didn't matter but someone contacted me and apparently it can cause formatting problems. 

November 30, 2015 11:13 pm  #236

Finished! My monster of the story is finished at last! Hurray!!! 

November 30, 2015 11:41 pm  #237

Yay, nakahara!

December 1, 2015 5:22 am  #238

The first fic has been posted! YAY! See here:

http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=6675

(I hope the author is not angry at me for deleting all the links at the end of the fic. It was necessary to keep the secret santa fic secret.)

I love the idea of Mycroft appearing as soon as one of the boys stumbles. It feels very in character for him. The story ends with such a domestic feeling. Exactly what I have been missing in S3.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

December 1, 2015 8:34 am  #239

God Rest You, Dr. Watson

A very nice beginning of this year´s Secret Santa. A lovely, cosy story depicting a day in the life of our heroes. I love the civil, no-nonsense style in which this little tale is written and I admire the way in which the unknown author managed to infuse her words with the warmhearted, Christmasy atmosphere. It was a good idea, IMHO, to avoid big, dramatic plots and to center on the domesticity and intimacy, it gave the story its "heart". The way in which the story dealt with the prompt made me giggle and very curious now about some things mentioned in it, especially about that Siberian Husky.

All in all, a pleasant Chrismas present that arrived early.

December 1, 2015 9:05 am  #240

God Rest You, Dr Watson

Thank you very much, unknown author, for bringing us in a pre-Christmassy mood today. Maybe they could adopt the Siberian husky instead of Gladstone, the bulldog puppy? Nice idea to have Sherlock looking for a lost dog, it makes him even more human than John thinks him to be. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

Board footera