BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 16, 2013 1:58 am  #701

Re: Star Trek

The New York Times has posted its review.  Here's what it says about Ben's performance:

Mr. Cumberbatch, pale and intense, has become the object of a global fan cult, and it’s easy to see why. Whether playing a hero (as in “Sherlock”) or a villain, he fuses Byronic charisma with an impatient, imperious intelligence that seems to raise the ambient I.Q. whenever he’s on screen.

Love that second sentence!  Makes me think the reviewer, A.O. Scott, is a Sherlock fan! 

Here's the full review but be forewarned--it contains detials about the plot you may not want to know before seeing the movie:

http://movies.nytimes.com/2013/05/16/movies/star-trek-into-darkness-directed-by-j-j-abrams.html?hpw=&pagewanted=2&pagewanted=all

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

May 16, 2013 3:46 am  #702

re: KP and Sherli...   Aww… just wanted to say so cute….     You luckies, I wish I had a fellow addict to watch with.     Just don't get tossed out for squee-ing!  ;D

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

May 16, 2013 5:48 am  #703

My freind will never speak to me again, if I squee tomorrow night!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 16, 2013 6:04 am  #704

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

May 16, 2013 6:09 am  #705

@KP and Sherli: Have fun, girls!  Tell us afterwards if you've managed not to squeal or something like this 
@besleybean: That's a hard challenge, especially when you first see Benedict on screen, I can tell. Schmiezi warned me two minutes before "Prepare yourself, Benedict will appear soon!". Have fun! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 16, 2013 6:13 am  #706

@Mattlocked: That's a nice interview. Okay, ladies, new drinking game, I dare you: Watch/read all interviews with Benedict and take a shot whenever he says "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter". You'll be drunk within one hour.

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 16, 2013 6:15 am  #707

Tho his point remains accurate..and Simon Pegg and I don't drink.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 16, 2013 6:23 am  #708

Of course it remains accurate. Even when he tells us so for the tenth time. 

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 16, 2013 8:04 am  #709

besleybean wrote:

Tho his point remains accurate..and Simon Pegg and I don't drink.

Instead you could take a look at the picture thread whenever he says it. You'll be drunk anyway. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

May 16, 2013 8:11 am  #710

Mary Me wrote:

@Mattlocked: That's a nice interview. Okay, ladies, new drinking game, I dare you: Watch/read all interviews with Benedict and take a shot whenever he says "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter". You'll be drunk within one hour. 

I've already been wondering about this. Is this some kind of phrase or did he just come up with it? I heard him say it at least three times.

--------------------------------

"Yes, of course I forgive you."

May 16, 2013 8:18 am  #711

There've been so many interviews about this film that he cannot come up with new things every time. I think he's got some phrases ready, like the one about him not being a "cookie-cutter villain". It's okay for me, it must be very tiring to be asked the same questions over and over again so that even someone as eloquent as him may repeat himself. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 16, 2013 11:37 am  #712

Well, it's a good line anyway. Still, whenever I hear him saying this, I can't help but giggle. 

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 17, 2013 12:42 am  #713

Lily wrote:

Mary Me wrote:

... he says "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter".

I've already been wondering about this. Is this some kind of phrase or did he just come up with it? I heard him say it at least three times.

No, this is definitely not an original phrase devised by Benedict.  I heard it decades ago, long before  BC came on the scene.  I just did a google search for its origin, but got several conflicting answers.  In any case, Benedict is not the first person to ever say this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

May 17, 2013 1:52 am  #714

Sherli Bakerst wrote:

Lily wrote:

Mary Me wrote:

... he says "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter".

No, this is definitely not an original phrase devised by Benedict.  I heard it decades ago, long before  BC came on the scene.  I just did a google search for its origin, but got several conflicting answers.  In any case, Benedict is not the first person to ever say this.

I've heard the phrase for years mostly related to the Palestine / Israel conflict.  Heck, back in 1776 the Brits thought of us Americans as guerrilla fighters/ terrorists when everyone knows we were freedom fighters. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

May 17, 2013 5:45 am  #715

Tho of course the most infamous exanple is Margaret Thatcher referring to Nelson Mandela as a terrorist.

Last edited by besleybean (May 17, 2013 5:45 am)

May 17, 2013 6:04 pm  #716

In case you haven't seen these yet. It's about John Harrison deducing the crew of the Enterprise. Enjoy!

*This voice*

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 17, 2013 6:25 pm  #717

Booked tickets to see it tomorrow night! Yay! Accidentally booked them for 2D and not 3D! Boo! My daughter doesn't have to put lenses in to watch now! Yay! Not quite my finest hour but ...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 17, 2013 6:51 pm  #718

Davina wrote:

Booked tickets to see it tomorrow night! Yay! Accidentally booked them for 2D and not 3D! Boo! My daughter doesn't have to put lenses in to watch now! Yay! Not quite my finest hour but ...

There you go, girl!  You've been waiting long enough.

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

May 17, 2013 7:33 pm  #719

Oh! Not tomorrow either!  Sunday. 

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

May 17, 2013 7:38 pm  #720

But I'm gonna see it tomorrow again. 

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

Board footera