BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 22, 2013 5:49 pm  #361

Re: Star Trek

MysteriaSleuthbedder wrote:

Mary Me wrote:

Oh thanks Mysteria, that's what I just needed!

Welcome!  My daughter was saying we should wait a week or two before seeing it, after the intial crush of crowd died down.

Then I posted that video to her Facebook page.  She called tonight.  She is taking the day off of work.  We are going to the first showing... the second showing.... the third showing.... 

oh my oh my - I told her I wouldn't make fun of her when she gets Cumberbatched!  (She's trying to resist.)

That is.... awesome...  ;D  ;D  (ok, and I may or may not have caught a breath at that beautiful face shot... )  and the comments following, too!  Ha!
I'm of the same school.... even if I'm super excited about a film, often want to wait just a little bit for the 'crush of crowd' to die down.  Especially since I very rarely go to the theater... just for 'must see' films.  But this one... and various upcoming Marvel films.... oh man....!  I don't know if I can resist.     Can I?  ;)    Sheesh... we're all going to be exploding on here the week it comes out.... 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

April 22, 2013 10:54 pm  #362

Russell wrote:

That is.... awesome... ;D ;D (ok, and I may or may not have caught a breath at that beautiful face shot... ) and the comments following, too! Ha!
I'm of the same school.... even if I'm super excited about a film, often want to wait just a little bit for the 'crush of crowd' to die down. Especially since I very rarely go to the theater... just for 'must see' films. But this one... and various upcoming Marvel films.... oh man....! I don't know if I can resist. Can I? ;) Sheesh... we're all going to be exploding on here the week it comes out....

What can we do?  The man is a force of nature, the pinnacle of superphogenicisticexpialidociousness:

And what's weirder is: his beauty is totally eclipsed by his stunning talent.  This Star Trek would be amazing if it were even half as good as the first.  Now, the Cumberbatched version?

omigosh

April 23, 2013 4:53 am  #363

Oii....  seriously, some people will be positively exploding...  ;P  ;)  Kind of hilariously awesome how highly-anticipated movies have become almost like rock concerts in their own right with the fans that way.  ;D  My mom talked about wanting to go see it with me as well since she also likes Trek, but... I'm almost sheepish I might be 'eeee!'-ing too audibly.  Ha.   ...And we haven't even gotten to Sherlock, yet....  o.o

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

April 23, 2013 5:23 pm  #364

Russell wrote:

Oii.... seriously, some people will be positively exploding... ;P ;) Kind of hilariously awesome how highly-anticipated movies have become almost like rock concerts in their own right with the fans that way. ;D My mom talked about wanting to go see it with me as well since she also likes Trek, but... I'm almost sheepish I might be 'eeee!'-ing too audibly. Ha. ...And we haven't even gotten to Sherlock, yet.... o.o

Oh, my daughter already told me we have to sit far apart in the theatre so I don't embarrass her.  More on-topic reference:

Shall we begin?

After your mom sees the picture  - you can make her a "Proud to be Cumberbatched" t-shirt!

Last edited by MysteriaSleuthbedder (April 23, 2013 5:24 pm)

April 23, 2013 6:51 pm  #365

Oh dear, I read first reviews after Sydney premiere (not spoilerish) and although I am glad that BC performance is much praised, reading between the lines I've got an impression that the movie itself is not particularly good. 

April 23, 2013 11:10 pm  #366

Why am I not surpised?!  First, that Ben's performance would be praised and second, that the movie itself is not that great.  I think JJ Abrams has done a huge disservice to the Star Trek franchise.  As a long-term, serious Star Trek fan--from the 1970s, when TOS first aired in reruns--I was very disappointed by the reboot Abrams directed.  I thought it was essentially a rip-off of a two-part Voyager episode and also I thought the characterizations of some of the major characters were not at all canon.  (Excuse me, but: Spock and Uhura?!?  Give me a break!)  So I don't really have high hopes for Abrams' second movie but of course I will go and see it--one of the very few movies I'll actually bother to view in a theater instead of waiting for the DVD to come out--because it is, after all is said and done, still Star Trek and, also, because if if gets a big enough box office, it will keep the franchise going, even if I don't particulary like where Abrams is taking it.  And, of course, because Ben is in it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.  -- Helen Keller

April 24, 2013 12:16 am  #367

miriel68 wrote:

Oh dear, I read first reviews after Sydney premiere (not spoilerish) and although I am glad that BC performance is much praised, reading between the lines I've got an impression that the movie itself is not particularly good. 

We might have to consider that Mr. Cumberbatch is already a well-known actor with a huge European following (many in America have never heard of him at all) while Star Trek, being something so much of our culture, might not play well in translation - so to speak.

Unlike another poster, I thought the reboot was and is wonderful.  So, let's all have high hopes.  Besides, no matter what they do, we get to hear the jaguar hidden in the spaceship hull and see him, as well. 

April 24, 2013 8:46 am  #368

Love this pic! Somehow, BC does not seem evil in it, but rather haunted by his demons... I do hope he will not be completely evil!
As for ST itself, it has always fascinated me exactly because it seems so American to me - especially TOS, which is, for me, an incredible insight into American society of the 1960s.
I have no problems with J.J.Abrams AU of ST and I enjoyed the 2009 reboot a lot (although I did feel bad for poor Vulcan!). My only problem with it was Kirk, or rather the fact that the audience was supposed to admire such an arrogant, childlish and cheating character and welcome him as a hero. 

April 24, 2013 9:48 am  #369

miriel68 wrote:

Love this pic! Somehow, BC does not seem evil in it, but rather haunted by his demons... I do hope he will not be completely evil!

I think someplace I already posted a link to this video - at the end is an interview with Benedict Cumberbatch talking about John Harrison and his motivation..  It's not too long. http://youtu.be/4qs568Gr7ME

As for ST itself, it has always fascinated me exactly because it seems so American to me - especially TOS, which is, for me, an incredible insight into American society of the 1960s.
I have no problems with J.J.Abrams AU of ST and I enjoyed the 2009 reboot a lot (although I did feel bad for poor Vulcan!). My only problem with it was Kirk, or rather the fact that the audience was supposed to admire such an arrogant, childlish and cheating character and welcome him as a hero. 

Well, Kirk was young!  I think I read that this movie is one where he learns some humility - he mostly gets his butt kicked by John "I am better" Harrison. 

Last edited by MysteriaSleuthbedder (April 24, 2013 9:49 am)

April 26, 2013 9:17 pm  #370

Wow, there's a big poster on the front of our multiplex cinema. The John Harrison only version. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 27, 2013 3:59 am  #371

SusiGo wrote:

Wow, there's a big poster on the front of our multiplex cinema. The John Harrison only version. 

I guess they know what sells?       

April 27, 2013 5:44 am  #372

Russell wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

I guess they know what sells?

Nothing like an uber-Alpha mega-Male:

May 15th, 8pm, IMAX, 3-D: tickets in hand. (They should fill the place with Victorian fainting couches.)

April 27, 2013 2:53 pm  #373

Hi,

I think you could be interested listening to this:

http://cumbertrekky.tumblr.com/post/48958993489/short-clip-from-empires-podcast-coverage-of-star

It's a short clip (not spoilerish, don't fear) from upcoming Empire STID coverage and they cannot find enough words to praise BC  performance. They even dare to say it is his best role so far, even better than Sherlock (now, this is a blasphemy, of course!) 

April 27, 2013 3:52 pm  #374

OMG, I think I'll need my emergency equipment when going to the cinema. Thank you so much for the link. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

April 27, 2013 10:54 pm  #375

miriel68 wrote:

Hi,

I think you could be interested listening to this:

http://cumbertrekky.tumblr.com/post/48958993489/short-clip-from-empires-podcast-coverage-of-star

It's a short clip (not spoilerish, don't fear) from upcoming Empire STID coverage and they cannot find enough words to praise BC  performance. They even dare to say it is his best role so far, even better than Sherlock (now, this is a blasphemy, of course!) 

Well, he's created a character who is the mega-uber-Alpha male of the Universe, portrayed by the mega-uber-Alpha male of the acting world.  

This guy...

Is giving us this guy:

We're all going to need defibrillators.

Last edited by MysteriaSleuthbedder (April 27, 2013 10:56 pm)

April 28, 2013 11:09 am  #376

Was at a meal with friends last night and the topic of the new Star Trek movie came up. I was astonished that the guy I was talking to, who is really looking forward to the film, had no idea that Benedict was in it! (He's a massive Sherlock fan too).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

April 28, 2013 11:10 am  #377

Some people...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

April 28, 2013 11:39 am  #378

Davina wrote:

Was at a meal with friends last night and the topic of the new Star Trek movie came up. I was astonished that the guy I was talking to, who is really looking forward to the film, had no idea that Benedict was in it! (He's a massive Sherlock fan too).

How is that even possible?!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

April 28, 2013 12:09 pm  #379

​ Aaaah, do you know this one here? Germans, just watch from about 11.25 and meet me on the floor. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70Gxq-jYtl4

April 28, 2013 1:40 pm  #380

Here you are... Susi.... here you are 

#Done for the rest of the day

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Falling is just like flying, except there’s a more permanent destination."

"Sherlock Holmes is a great man, and I think one day—if we’re very very lucky—he might even be a good one."

"Would you like to-"
"-have dinner?"
"-solve crimes?"
"Oh"

Board footera