BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 24, 2015 9:00 pm  #21

Re: Refugees

One of the most disturbing things about all this is the way it has really brought out the nasty side of some people. I've had to unfriend a few people on my Facebook and even some of my extended family have been saying some, well, wrong things. And I'm just like ><
These are people, just like any of us. Families with children. And it's a humanitarian crisis. It isn't about benefits or ripping off the system.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

September 25, 2015 6:33 pm  #22

Same here Boss. Some people seem to have lost their humanity and compassion. I find that deeply troubling and sad.   

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

October 14, 2015 8:24 am  #23

And sadly desperate people fight amongst themselves, too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 20, 2015 12:17 am  #24

This powerful ad is about a Sudanese refugee, I hope it's okay to post it in this thread.

Definitely a more positive view of refugees. I'm not sure if it can be applied to the current situation, but I think it's worth a watch.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

November 20, 2015 1:37 pm  #25

Sherlock Holmes wrote:

One of the most disturbing things about all this is the way it has really brought out the nasty side of some people. I've had to unfriend a few people on my Facebook and even some of my extended family have been saying some, well, wrong things. And I'm just like ><
These are people, just like any of us. Families with children. And it's a humanitarian crisis. It isn't about benefits or ripping off the system.

Same here.  Once again I am ashamed at the behavior of many of my countrymen.  Our congress has even voted to deny the refugees entry!  Although I think/hope, it will not pass all the way through.

It's the hypocrisy that really gets me.  Most of the people ranting about the refugees being terrorists are hard core Christian conservatives who seem to have forgotten the actual teachings of Christ.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

November 20, 2015 5:18 pm  #26

And that they are of immigrant stock?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

November 21, 2015 10:11 am  #27

All but the Native Americans- the few remaining.... Some Americans seem keen to return to Isolationism. To me it seems rather like people who come to a party (sometimes as gatecrashers) and exit a few days later  for their cosy homes, leaving behind all the debris and damage for others to deal with. 

Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

January 7, 2016 1:54 pm  #28

Fact is that many people feel entitled to spread their opinions as facts.

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 7, 2016 2:38 pm  #29

What you call fact are your evaluation of a complex situation. You can't tell what the future will be like nor if any number is too high or too low - that's your idea.
Sentences like " You don't believe me?" "Are you honestly trying to tell me that ... " do actually sound slightly hysterical to me, but that's perhaps just my own problem.

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

January 7, 2016 3:32 pm  #30

There are lots of people who actually do something and help and listen and work for integration.
In a less flustered state.

January 7, 2016 5:40 pm  #31

Glad to see you being so positive about things.
UK media were showing a few German scare stories over the weekend.

January 7, 2016 5:55 pm  #32

I know - unfortunately in the UK media often seem to picture Germany as bad example and jump on each story, mixing up things then, and so on. While I'm in fact proud of my country. Our constitution grants every person the right to apply for asylum and the right for their story to be heard. At the moment we are a shelter for people in big distress.
And as a country, Germany is regarded wealthy and especially open-minded enough to make people want to built a future for them here. Another thing we could be proud of, in comparison to other places in the world.
And lots of people spend a lot of time volunteering and helping. Often for the first time in their life.
Often old people remember their own stories being a migrant coming to western Germany. And talk about how they felt being rejected then or warm welcomed. Interesting stories that tell us of a time when even more refugees were on their search of a new home after WW2.
So while there are indeed big challenges, it's not just bad and scary.

Last edited by Harriet (January 7, 2016 6:01 pm)

January 7, 2016 6:00 pm  #33

Well our UK gov is just a disaster, so I'm not entirely surprised at the attitudes they perpetuate.
The situation is better in Scotland, I feel.

January 7, 2016 6:05 pm  #34

Yes, I heard that about Scotland, too. More empathy and generosity than in England. And less UKIP, right?

January 7, 2016 6:07 pm  #35

God no...we hardly have any Tories even!

January 7, 2016 6:11 pm  #36

Long live the Scots! 

January 7, 2016 6:18 pm  #37

That's why we live here.
We moved here in 1990, to get as far from Margaret Thatcher as we could...she resigned soon afterwards!

January 7, 2016 6:24 pm  #38

So you are refugees, too - in some way, at least 

January 7, 2016 6:32 pm  #39

General Mod reminder:  We appreciate everyone trying to keep a calm head and respect each other's opinions.  Politics are dangerous ground anyway and this is a current hot button issue.  We can all have different ideas but ultimately we all came here with a shared passion and should be nice to each other.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

January 7, 2016 6:47 pm  #40

Oh I must have missed something, I think I've been nice!

Board footera