BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 12, 2016 7:47 pm  #301

Re: John's evovlement throughout the show

Vhanja wrote:

Lola - Yes, Sherlock (and maybe Mary) seems to have a more calculative (is that a word?) nature than John, who seem to run more on instinct. However, I reckon that John's background as a soldier and doctor is the basis of his instinct, and so he more or less have control of his damage output without having to calculate it to the extenct that Sherlock and Mary does.

John is less calculating than Sherlock, that´s true, but on the other hand, he is far more violent when intent on doing the harm to somebody.
We saw exactly three scenes of Sherlock being violent so that he physically hurts people - the cabbie scene, the CIA guy scene, the Magnussen scene. All three guys were quite nasty and tortured others with glee before Sherlock dealt with them. Also, cabbie was previously shot by John, so Sherlock can´t be blamed entirely for his demise nor for the hurt caused to him.
Now John...
After being dealt a blow by Sherlock in ASIB (unexpected but leaving no mark on his face)  John retaliates so viciously that his own hand hurts like hell and Sherlock wears the bloody scrape on his face quite long after that.
John headbuts the chief-inspector in TRF.
He at first strangles, then beats and at last headbutts Sherlock in TEH so that Sherlock bleeds.
He sprains Bill Wiggins in HLV, later threatens Sherlock that "he won´t need morphine" and kicks a chair furiously.
He is abusive towards Sherlock in TAB when they hurry after Mary and threatens him: "tell me when my wife is, you pompous prick, or I´ll punch your lights out!"
What is interesting - none of the guys John attacked like that (actually, it´s mostly Sherlock) can actually be categorised as a bad guy... and when John faces the big bad, Magnussen, at last, he just stands there, all cowed and let himself be flicked into his face... weird.

So yes, Sherlock is more calculating, but he doesn´t do as much physical damage as the more temperamental John, IMHO.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 12, 2016 7:52 pm  #302

This seems to me to be a bit more in the category of "look how horrible John is", so not sure I want to go into it too much.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 12, 2016 7:53 pm  #303

Equally, I didn't want to start slagging Sherlock! 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 12, 2016 7:54 pm  #304

No my intent isn.t to slag anyone. As I mentioned before, it's not necessarily a matter of better or worse, just different.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

May 12, 2016 7:56 pm  #305

Indeed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 12, 2016 7:59 pm  #306

Well, I wanted to point out that being calculating is not neccessarily a bad character trait while being hot-blooded must not always be a positive quality... it largely depends on the circumstances and the background of the actual acts.

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

May 12, 2016 8:00 pm  #307

I can agree with this.

May 12, 2016 8:03 pm  #308

nakahara wrote:

Well, I wanted to point out that being calculating is not neccessarily a bad character trait while being hot-blooded must not always be a positive quality... it largely depends on the circumstances and the background of the actual acts.

Absolutely. So for the third time: It's not about better or worse, it's about different.

Team Hudders!

May 12, 2016 8:06 pm  #309

May 13, 2016 7:37 am  #310

nakahara wrote:

Vhanja wrote:

Lola - Yes, Sherlock (and maybe Mary) seems to have a more calculative (is that a word?) nature than John, who seem to run more on instinct. However, I reckon that John's background as a soldier and doctor is the basis of his instinct, and so he more or less have control of his damage output without having to calculate it to the extenct that Sherlock and Mary does.

John is less calculating than Sherlock, that´s true, but on the other hand, he is far more violent when intent on doing the harm to somebody.
We saw exactly three scenes of Sherlock being violent so that he physically hurts people - the cabbie scene, the CIA guy scene, the Magnussen scene. All three guys were quite nasty and tortured others with glee before Sherlock dealt with them. Also, cabbie was previously shot by John, so Sherlock can´t be blamed entirely for his demise nor for the hurt caused to him.
Now John...
After being dealt a blow by Sherlock in ASIB (unexpected but leaving no mark on his face)  John retaliates so viciously that his own hand hurts like hell and Sherlock wears the bloody scrape on his face quite long after that.
John headbuts the chief-inspector in TRF.
He at first strangles, then beats and at last headbutts Sherlock in TEH so that Sherlock bleeds.
He sprains Bill Wiggins in HLV, later threatens Sherlock that "he won´t need morphine" and kicks a chair furiously.
He is abusive towards Sherlock in TAB when they hurry after Mary and threatens him: "tell me when my wife is, you pompous prick, or I´ll punch your lights out!"
What is interesting - none of the guys John attacked like that (actually, it´s mostly Sherlock) can actually be categorised as a bad guy... and when John faces the big bad, Magnussen, at last, he just stands there, all cowed and let himself be flicked into his face... weird.

So yes, Sherlock is more calculating, but he doesn´t do as much physical damage as the more temperamental John, IMHO.

Agreed. 

May 13, 2016 7:44 am  #311

I'd say that Sherlock THINKS before he acts while John kinda does it on impulse, and then might have a tough time controlling himself after that. Sherlock punched John to goad him into punching back, but John not only punched Sherlock, he began to strangle him. 

In TEH, John gets them kicked out of 3 restaurants because he's so busy whaling the tar outta Sherlock... and, again with the strangling and punching and head-butting---

Spraining Billy-- this was interesting because it was obvious to me that John was spoiling for a fight. He found (sort of ) one. And I think he was embarrassed by it, he didn't appreciate being outed as an "addict". 

The kicking chairs, the yelling, and threatening gives me the impression of someone with a short fuse and yeah, he's a scrapper. Likes to fight, and violence is pretty natural to him. 

May 13, 2016 8:38 am  #312

If we include "abuse of inanimate objects" in the same category, I think the difference becomes even more clear (and I agree, it is not about better or worse, just different): John kicks a chair out of the impulse to kick a chair. What condition the chair ends up in does not seem to bother him. Sherlock shoots the wall, but he is very peculiar about the condition he wants the wall to be in afterwards. He does not shoot at random, but created a pattern. So, one might say, Sherlock is more methodical in his destructive outbursts than John is. 

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

May 13, 2016 8:43 am  #313

Good point, Lola. Even when Sherlock does something based on emotions (the CIA guy) it's very metodical and calculated. John runs more on instinct. However, so far I've yet to see him lose control over himself - that is to say, that he does more damage than intended, even though he doesn't plan it like Sherlock (and perhaps Mary) does.

Team Hudders!

February 18, 2017 5:50 pm  #314

So, seeing as the show has come to a (temporary?) end, I would like to bring up John's evolvment again.

I think we got more from John in S4 than I had ever expected. He was given another layer of nuances and weaknesses, something I find very interesting.

Of course, his estrangement from Sherlock was painful to watch. In particular his extreme violence. However, when I understand it as a culminaton of all the anger he has felt towards Sherlock over the years (I've always felt that John was poorly treated by Sherlock quite a bit), his grief and perhaps even his PTSD, I can understand where he comes from. Not agree to it, but understand it. Sherlock became the scapegoat. It helped me a lot to hear Martin Freeman's own thoughts about that scene, to make any kind of sense of it.

I think his evolvment culminated in The Hug in TLD. I saw it as a huge jump forward for him to open up as much as he did, finally allowing himself to be vulnerable and accept help and support.

I still find this John Watson an incredibly layered and interesting character.

Team Hudders!

February 19, 2017 3:24 am  #315

Yeah, you're not kidding.  And I want to see more of John Watson in Season 5--and NOT years from now, either!

February 19, 2017 8:14 am  #316

You know what I'm going to say, but I'm going to say it anyway:
I think I would take almost any evolution in John's character, if it meant we got a future episode.

February 19, 2017 8:39 pm  #317

Agreed. And I think that there are still issues to be addressed: John's violent tendencies, the fact that he still has not completely forgiven Sherlock for the two years, his remaining guilt towards Mary (because I think that he at least considered a separation. Which IMO explains why he lashed out towards Sherlock when she died - he was deferring his own feelings of guilt towards Sherlock). All this has in some way been swept under the rug in TFP. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 19, 2017 8:41 pm  #318

I really don't think he was considering a separation, an affair- certainly.

February 19, 2017 8:46 pm  #319

I was not thinking about E. What really struck me was this little moment: 

MARY: I always liked ‘Mary.’
JOHN (smiling): Yeah, me too.
(His smile drops and he looks away.)
JOHN: I used to.
(He stands up and walks away.)

To me it seems more damning than any texting affair could have been. Because he is not just talking about the name. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 19, 2017 8:48 pm  #320

I agree, Susi. I noticed that dialogue too, and I got the feeling that his feelings for Mary was diminishing. 

Team Hudders!

Board footera