BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 12, 2016 3:25 pm  #281

Re: John's evovlement throughout the show

Yes, that is a good point. Of course, as with most of Sherlock's doings, it can be explained by being in the interest of "the greater good" (finding the drugged out neighbour's boy). But, as with both Sherlock and John, we know that neither of them are doing this for "the greater good". 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

May 12, 2016 3:25 pm  #282

As justified as his anger in TEH may have been, throttling, headbutting, and punching your best friend is sort of violent. And he punched the superintendent as well. True, he was defending Sherlock, but he used physical violence and not in self-defense. So I would say he is not different from Sherlock but from Mary. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 12, 2016 3:29 pm  #283

My definition didn't mean any kind of violence. But with the expicit intent to hurt another human being, whether that is physically or mentally. In a way, both your examples are right, SusiGo. But I was thinking more in a context where the reason for it purely egotistical. For instance, hitting the superintendent was to defend Sherlock, so I would rule that out. Also, I am ruling out Sherlock's fake relationship with Janine as the reason behind it wasn't to hurt Janine.

Yes, you could say that him hurting Sherlock in TEH could be quite delibarete, so I would include that.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

May 12, 2016 4:04 pm  #284

Yep, he and his wife are well matched...particularly where Sherlock is concerned!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 12, 2016 4:16 pm  #285

No, I've been doing a round of thinking, and I still think it's a bit different. Not necessarily better or worse - but different.

Sherlock and Mary are able to to perform hurtfil actions by being cold and calculated. Sometimes the hurt of others are unintentional and a "bi-effect" of their main goal (Janine with Sherlock and John with Mary), sometimes it's their main goal.

However, whenever John delibaretly hurts someone, it's never cold and calculated. It's hot-blooded and fueled by his own emotions.

Team Hudders!

May 12, 2016 4:18 pm  #286

I agree with Mary for her former work...
But I don't think she was cold and calculating when she shot Sherlock.
I feel she was holding back the emotion.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 12, 2016 4:32 pm  #287

That is an interesting point. However, if we go down that road, this thread will quickly turn into a Mary-thread, so I want to keep it John-focused.  

Team Hudders!

May 12, 2016 4:35 pm  #288

Ok well then yes, I think John is quite emotional when he is violent...
Other than possibly with the Golem.

May 12, 2016 4:41 pm  #289

That was in defence of Sherlock about to be choked to death, so I wouldn't count that one either.

Team Hudders!

May 12, 2016 4:43 pm  #290

Well I thought there was a bit of dancing about before that...but ok!

May 12, 2016 4:43 pm  #291

I'd agree that John hurting people tends to be "hot-blooded", rather than cold.  However, Sherlock's can be too - thinking of the CIA agent - however cool Sherlock may appear it's clear that he's motivated by hot-blooded vengeance!  Even his nasty comments to about Donovan in ASIP seem to be about getting back at her because of her attitude to him - very hot-blooded.  (I know this is about John, but if we're comparing the two ...). 

May 12, 2016 5:49 pm  #292

Yes, it is a point that Sherlock can be hot-blooded too, very true. To rephrase, it seems John - out of the three - seems to be the only one who can not be cold and calculating when dealing out hurt in any kind of deliberate form.

Team Hudders!

May 12, 2016 5:51 pm  #293

See I think he is, when he has a go at Billy.

May 12, 2016 5:51 pm  #294

I feel the main difference is that John seems to be less calculating in the amount of damage he intents to do. With the exception  of spraining Billy's arm (instead of breaking it), we see John rather succumbing to an impulse of e.g. wanting to punch or head-butt someone, instead of calculating "I will cut open your cheek" or "I will break your nasal bone". With Sherlock, we can see how he calculates what kind of damage he intents to do, so much so that he can give a list of the exact injuries, before he has even laid hand on the CIA agent. And if we believe Sherlock's deduction, Mary, too, at least attempts to calculate the damage she wants to do, before taking action. So when it comes to physical violence, Johns seems to act on an impulse, spontaneously, while Sherlock and Mary seem to act with a certain goal in mind.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

May 12, 2016 6:09 pm  #295

besley - Billy is a good point. That seems to be the most "cold" (ie - not hot-blooded and based on fury) John has ever been when wilfully hurting someone lese.

Lola - Yes, Sherlock (and maybe Mary) seems to have a more calculative (is that a word?) nature than John, who seem to run more on instinct. However, I reckon that John's background as a soldier and doctor is the basis of his instinct, and so he more or less have control of his damage output without having to calculate it to the extenct that Sherlock and Mary does.

For instance, even being just about the most furious we've ever seen him, he doesn't do any proper damage to Sherlock during their reunion. And he has full control over the amount of damage he deals to Billy. (I would also say that he seems to be quite in control with the superintendent, only giving him a bloody nose).

Team Hudders!

May 12, 2016 6:28 pm  #296

I think John is quite emotional when he 'nuts' the Chief super...
He is upset about Sherlock's arrest.
It's the amount of times John hurts Sherlock himself, I do find a tad difficult to deal with.

May 12, 2016 7:13 pm  #297

I suppose that with Mary, the time that I can think of when she's deliberately trying to hurt somebody for the sake of it is when she's threatening Magnussen.  She could have killed him instantly, but wanted him to suffer a bit first.  That's a little hot-blooded.    So maybe they all have the hot-blooded aspect, but John has less of the cold ... although I agree with you, Besleybean, about the scene with Billy being more cold.

Last edited by Liberty (May 12, 2016 7:29 pm)

May 12, 2016 7:16 pm  #298

I really don't want to turn this thread into a Mary thread, but... was it, though? Scaring Magnussen might as well be very cold and calculated. We do not know if she was emotional or not at that point.

Team Hudders!

May 12, 2016 7:17 pm  #299

This is true.

May 12, 2016 7:26 pm  #300

As always, we don't know anything like the full story with Mary.  But her comment about "that's why there are people like me" (I'm not sure if I have the quote right) sounds as if she has contempt for him.  And the fact of her standing over him, making him squirm and beg, while showing her face and making sure he knows who she is, seems very personal - it was more than just getting him out of the way.   It would have been safer and more efficient to just kill him and leave, but apparently she was too emotionally invested. 

Anyway, back to John

Last edited by Liberty (May 12, 2016 7:36 pm)

Board footera