BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 4, 2016 3:52 pm  #261

Re: John's evovlement throughout the show

I am really ashamed. So many sad people. But it's not me, it's the show. Moftiss are to blame!

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

February 4, 2016 4:04 pm  #262

Sob.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

February 4, 2016 5:06 pm  #263

So sad. And probably so true. There really isn't much cheer when he tells about "moving on", is it? Mrs. Hudsom seems more excited than he is. 

I know a lot of people are angry at John in S3, even feel that he doesn't even deserve Sherlock's friendship. But I feel sorry for him. He goes through so much, there is never even a moment's rest for him. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

February 4, 2016 6:04 pm  #264

Yeah, we forgive you Susi!

---------------
It's not really a ship, it's more like a life raft.

February 4, 2016 7:20 pm  #265

SusiGo wrote:

This is quite a sad post by yours truly. Wanted to share it, though:

http://gosherlocked.tumblr.com/post/138662419331/john-in-teh-four-steps-of-farewell

This makes a lot of sense. And, it does explain a lot about John's determination to stay with Mary, because he's Moved On.

February 4, 2016 11:12 pm  #266

I've read through this entire thread tonight, and I really can't wait for S4, to see where John and Mary will go. TAB didn't really give us much to go on. The only scenes set in real life show us nothing between John and Mary at all, so basically we don't know anything more about them than we did after HLV.

We do have that little nod after Mycroft's "Look after him", which I take to mean that John will stop his token resistance. I do honestly hope there will not, for a second, be John and Mary "babysitting" Sherlock. I wouldn't want that at all. 

But if John is to be as important part of Sherlock's life as he used to be, how can he balance that with Mary and a baby on the way? It just doesn't work, something has to give.

So, yeah, very excited about S4!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

February 5, 2016 6:29 am  #267

See I think it could work.
For me it's more a case of where the team want to go with it.
I tend to think they will see Mary off, but who knows...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 9, 2016 11:42 am  #268

I read this interesting meta/analysis of John today. I'm putting it here as it seems to be the more active of the John character threads.

Of course, this analysis is pure speculation with what little we know from the show, so it might be all wrong. But I found it interesting and plausible all the same.

http://esterbrook.tumblr.com/post/104562523718/something-has-been-niggling-at-the-back-of-my-mind

Team Hudders!

May 10, 2016 4:14 am  #269

Thank you for the link, Vhanja. I think it makes perfectly sense!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

May 10, 2016 5:50 am  #270

Sadly I don't think John's that unusual:
I believe he's mourning dead parents.
An alcoholic sister will  be a strain.
He also suffers PTSD.
The more unusual part is coping with a rather different wife.
I think he holds together pretty well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://professorfangirl.tumblr.com/post/105838327464/heres-an-outtake-of-mark-gatiss-on-the

May 10, 2016 7:03 am  #271

Yes, this is a good take on John. Compared to Sherlock and given that he is one of the main characters of the show we know little about him. There was a deleted scene in the TSoT script where he mentioned his mother being dead. And from the blog we know Harry and his friend Bill Murray. But the show itself does give us very little information about John. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

May 10, 2016 10:13 am  #272

I would love to get more background on John. However, Sherlock is the main-est man character of the show, so not sure how much time Moffatt will spend on John's backstory if it's not related to Sherlock. 

Team Hudders!

May 10, 2016 9:33 pm  #273

SusiGo wrote:

Yes, this is a good take on John. Compared to Sherlock and given that he is one of the main characters of the show we know little about him. There was a deleted scene in the TSoT script where he mentioned his mother being dead. And from the blog we know Harry and his friend Bill Murray. But the show itself does give us very little information about John. 

Woah, I didn't know that! Okay, starting to make a bit more sense.

May 11, 2016 12:37 am  #274

I wish they'd left that scene in.  We could use a little back history on John, more than the show has given its audience up to this point.  We now know who Sherlock's parents are and what they're like, but we know absolutely nothing about John's parents.  It appears that they're dead, but again, we don't know for sure.  All we do know is that he has a sister and a cousin.

Last edited by kgreen20 (May 11, 2016 12:37 am)

May 11, 2016 5:35 am  #275

Wouldn't you have thought they would have given the friend a different name than Bill Murray?
A little joke, perhaps!

May 11, 2016 6:19 am  #276

When it comes to John's backstory, I think it could work quite nicely to give us more of that in conjunction with Mary's backstory - should Mofftiss decide to tell us more about her in S4. They could give us more information on John AND Mary and contrast both backstories with one another. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

May 11, 2016 6:20 am  #277

Excellent idea.
Wonder if they will do it?

May 11, 2016 8:06 pm  #278

I hope they will!  I really do.  Hint, hint, Moffat and Gatiss!

May 12, 2016 3:17 pm  #279

This thought just crossed my mind... out of the three main cast (as of now), I believe John is the one who we in the least have seen acting cold and cruel. With that I mean "with the explicit intention of excerting physical or mental hurt".

Now, in ASiP, Sherlock torture the cabbie to satisfy his own curiousity
In HLV, we see Mary threaten Sherlock, shoot him and making him pick up the coin, to appear threatening.

Do we ever seen John do any of this? Do we ever see him performing an action to explicitly hurt another human being?

I would say no. The closest we get, in my opnion, is his "One more word and you will not need morphine", which seems to be a very clear and cruel threat. However, Sherlock doesn't seem threatened by it in the least, he completely ignores it and John never follows up on it. Showing that it was only words without any intent behind it.

So it seems to me, that out of the three, John is the only one who has not shown any cruelty (with that definition) in the show.

Team Hudders!

May 12, 2016 3:21 pm  #280

Vhanja wrote:

This thought just crossed my mind... out of the three main cast (as of now), I believe John is the one who we in the least have seen acting cold and cruel. With that I mean "with the explicit intention of excerting physical or mental hurt".

Now, in ASiP, Sherlock torture the cabbie to satisfy his own curiousity
In HLV, we see Mary threaten Sherlock, shoot him and making him pick up the coin, to appear threatening.

Do we ever seen John do any of this? Do we ever see him performing an action to explicitly hurt another human being?

I would say no. The closest we get, in my opnion, is his "One more word and you will not need morphine", which seems to be a very clear and cruel threat. However, Sherlock doesn't seem threatened by it in the least, he completely ignores it and John never follows up on it. Showing that it was only words without any intent behind it.

So it seems to me, that out of the three, John is the only one who has not shown any cruelty (with that definition) in the show.

John deliberately sprains the arm of Bill Wiggins. He later admits he did it as an adrenaline junkie who "needed the fix", not out of any real neccessity. He is as bad as the others, if you ask me.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

Board footera