BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 31, 2015 4:23 am  #1

Albion and the Woodsman

Does someone have a copy of this one and can somehow send it to me? It is no longer on the Internet. I love it and wanted to read it again but as I always read fics online without donloading it seems to be lost for good for me.

(There is someone on tumblr who once offered a copy to someone else, but she / he does not answer my request.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 31, 2015 4:52 am  #2

Re: Albion and the Woodsman

Oh I wanna read this one! I've heard it mentioned here and there and it sounded very interesting. I think I might have contacted the same person on tumblr, Schmiezi, and no reply for me either. There's something about it being unavailable that makes we want it so much more!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 31, 2015 12:45 pm  #3

I think I have it in a PDF sweetie.    Will check when I get home tonight.   (((hugs))))

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 31, 2015 1:57 pm  #4

Yay! :-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 31, 2015 2:21 pm  #5

Great! This is a wonderful fic. Very sad it got deleted. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 31, 2015 3:04 pm  #6

Just double checked my Kindle and I do have it.  Will get it to you tonight.

Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 

August 31, 2015 3:16 pm  #7

Oh I loved that one, it was incredibly sweet 
Does anybody know why it was deleted at all?
And would it be allowed to upload here somewhere or does that cause trouble with the copyright?

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

August 31, 2015 5:49 pm  #8

I'll be happy to email the PDF to anyone who wants it.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

September 1, 2015 4:08 am  #9

Got it. Thank you so much, love!

September 1, 2015 9:35 am  #10

Thanks again, tonnaree, I look forward to reading it

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 1, 2015 12:40 pm  #11

You are all very welcome.   Glad I had downloaded it to keep.

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

September 2, 2015 12:53 am  #12

This story has had me misty-eyed from the start, but chapter 41 produced proper tears. I'm loving it
Why on earth was it deleted from AO3, I wonder?

September 2, 2015 12:54 pm  #13

You guys are making me want to read it again. 

Honorary German  
 -Vaclav Havel 

September 13, 2015 11:10 am  #14

mrshouse wrote:

Does anybody know why it was deleted at all?

With a bit of luck it's being reworked as original fiction. Because whereas I see the potential, and the occasional really good line, the story (an internet-wide search will find it) doesn't work for me as fan fiction. I've read stories with Sherlock as an alien/octopus/dragon/ghost/merman where he was more recognizable and in-character...

Starting with the very foundation of the story: Why would Sherlock as we know him ever write/tell his life story? (I haven't yet seen a first person story with Sherlock a narrator that I liked.) Continuing with details: Sherlock as I see him wouldn't find Theodore Gray's The Elements comforting - he'd know the books contents by heart anyway. (He's a trained chemist, after all. I, on the other hand, might buy the book, it looks visually stunning and extremely interesting. So it's a good thing I found the story...) Last but not least I found too many mistakes on spelling/grammar level.

Of course, I'm not particularly fond of babies and children in general and really don't need to see Sherlock as a father (unless the story is as brilliantly written as Nature and Nurture). Your mileage may vary...

September 13, 2015 11:33 am  #15

Wow, that was quite a damning review. But tastes may vary. 

Just one thing - I think there are some brilliant first-person stories narrated by Sherlock, they are among my favourites. Like "The Progress of Sherlock Holmes". Wonderful writing. 

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 13, 2015 12:02 pm  #16

Sorry, somehow I never get people's need to critizise fan fiction in such a harsh manner. You can like or dislike fics. But what do you gain by damning a fellow fan's work like this?

September 13, 2015 2:01 pm  #17

I was hoping to
1) indicate to potential readers where to find the fiction
2) console potential readers who cannot find it (I have the feeling that it being where it is is an oversight that will be remedied sooner or later) that they are not missing out on anything
3) mention a fascinating book for people desiring to follow in Sherlock Holmes footsteps

By the way, I did say that the story has potential and some good lines and I would like to read it reworked into original writing. If that's not good enough for you, I'm awfully sorry, but I've always thought that reviews are supposed to be critical and list both positive and negative points.

September 13, 2015 4:56 pm  #18

Kittyhawk wrote:

I was hoping to
1) indicate to potential readers where to find the fiction
2) console potential readers who cannot find it (I have the feeling that it being where it is is an oversight that will be remedied sooner or later) that they are not missing out on anything
3) mention a fascinating book for people desiring to follow in Sherlock Holmes footsteps

By the way, I did say that the story has potential and some good lines and I would like to read it reworked into original writing. If that's not good enough for you, I'm awfully sorry, but I've always thought that reviews are supposed to be critical and list both positive and negative points.

1) Why not just give a link if you wanted to help potential readers to find it? 

2) Tbh, I would prefer if potential readers could judge for themselves if they like the fic and if there is need for consolation or not. I have no idea why you assume that others will share your opinion about the fic. 

Last edited by SusiGo (September 13, 2015 4:57 pm)

September 13, 2015 5:11 pm  #19

Because I don't think my tastes are unique, even if they are not the same as yours.

September 13, 2015 5:21 pm  #20

And yet we should let the members judge for themselves. I really do not like this "don't be sad, you are not missing out on anything" attitude in talking to people who expressly wish to read the fic. 

Board footera