BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 24, 2015 7:21 pm  #1

HELP ME WITH MY FANFIC-Thread for Writers

I didn't see any thing like this, so I decided to start one. 

Why? I NEED help. I've got a plot, and what I think is a great idea for a story-- but what I need to know is this: and yep-- I've watched and re-watched the show. My story is dealing with the events of HLV. 

Here's my question: Is there any actual in-canon proof that John was by Sherlock's bedside after he was shot? I mean, actual proof? Or is there room to play with that? 

Is there any proof that John actually stayed at Bakers Street during the 6 months he wasn't speaking to Mary? 

I am checking, because , maybe I missed something? 

So there you have it, and there's the reason for this thread-- if there's already such a thread, I missed it. I'm hoping some of us writers can help each other out here, motivate each other to write, discuss and bicker over plot ideas, etc, etc, etc....

Ciao! Oh, and Hellllllpppppp!!!!

August 24, 2015 7:38 pm  #2

Re: HELP ME WITH MY FANFIC-Thread for Writers

No, there is no such thread and you are welcome to open one. 

As for you question: we can safely assume that John was with Sherlock. When he meets Mary, it becomes clear that they have not seen each other since before he went with Sherlock to Magnussen. He is in the hospital and later meets Greg in the lobby and tells him about Sherlock's condition. All this is quite convincing proof even if we do not see them together in hospital. 

As for the six months - no, there is no definite proof that John was in Baker Street. It might be possible that he and Mary lived together in silence for all this time. But the fact that Sherlock orchestrates the Christmas meeting and that John was very anxious for him in the 221B scene points to them spending at least part of this period together. Hope this helps. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 24, 2015 7:40 pm  #3

SusiGo wrote:

No, there is no such thread and you are welcome to open one. 

As for you question: we can safely assume that John was with Sherlock. When he meets Mary, it becomes clear that they have not seen each other since before he went with Sherlock to Magnussen. He is in the hospital and later meets Greg in the lobby and tells him about Sherlock's condition. All this is quite convincing proof even if we do not see them together in hospital. 

As for the six months - no, there is no definite proof that John was in Baker Street. It might be possible that he and Mary lived together in silence for all this time. But the fact that Sherlock orchestrates the Christmas meeting and that John was very anxious for him in the 221B scene points to them spending at least part of this period together. Hope this helps. 

Actually, that helps A LOT!!!! This works for my plot-- which is predictably angst-ridden. :-) Now , fi I can get some sort of relaible timeline... 

and that's actually one of the things I wanted to do this thread for: so people can ask for what they need to finish , polish, work out bugs in-- their fics. :-)

Thanks for the vote of confidence, SusiGo!

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (August 24, 2015 7:42 pm)

August 25, 2015 4:30 am  #4

Great thread!

What kind of timeline do you need? For Not Broken, I was looking for one to cover the time between the shooting and Christmas but couldn't find anything. But that was a few month ago, so maybe there is one now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 25, 2015 4:33 am  #5

Schmiezi wrote:

Great thread!

What kind of timeline do you need? For Not Broken, I was looking for one to cover the time between the shooting and Christmas but couldn't find anything. But that was a few month ago, so maybe there is one now.

I'm trying to figure ou the time from when Sherlock was shot-- to the projected time of the birth of the baby. And then, my story starts two years after that-- but it's backstory that's real important-- I'm hanging a good deal of the plot on it..

August 26, 2015 4:28 am  #6

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Schmiezi wrote:

Great thread!

I'm trying to figure ou the time from when Sherlock was shot-- to the projected time of the birth of the baby. And then, my story starts two years after that-- but it's backstory that's real important-- I'm hanging a good deal of the plot on it..

At the moment, you are free to fill the gap in any way you like, I think. The show does not give us anything.

I tried to find out when the baby should be due and decided that it could be born mid-January. But that was a wild guess as we don't know the exact wedding date or how much time has passed between Appledore and the tarmac scene. And it only works if the marriage was in May, not August. (Mary looks more than four month pregnant on Christmas,so it must have been a May wedding, I guess.)

Does that help a little?

(I wrote a time line for my own fic. If you like I can post it here or send you.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 26, 2015 4:34 am  #7

Schmiezi wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Schmiezi wrote:

Great thread!

At the moment, you are free to fill the gap in any way you like, I think. The show does not give us anything.

I tried to find out when the baby should be due and decided that it could be born mid-January. But that was a wild guess as we don't know the exact wedding date or how much time has passed between Appledore and the tarmac scene. And it only works if the marriage was in May, not August. (Mary looks more than four month pregnant on Christmas,so it must have been a May wedding, I guess.)

Does that help a little?

(I wrote a time line for my own fic. If you like I can post it here or send you.)

Cool-- I'd like to see that line. :-) 

And, yes-- it helps! It's nice to have all that freedom--plot-wise. I was planning either early Feb, or very late in January for the birth of the baby. :-)

August 26, 2015 8:04 am  #8

Schmiezi wrote:

Wasn't the date of the wedding printed on the invitation, as seen in TSoT? It was May if I recall

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 27, 2015 4:19 am  #9

The (dreaded) blog says August, on the wedding invitations it says May. One more reason to ignore the blog.

August 27, 2015 4:21 am  #10

Raven, I just realized that the first part of my time line isn't very detailed. See here:
Time line
May:
wedding (1)
later: being shot (2)
Christmas: HLV (7)
New Years Eve: John visits Sherlock in prison (8)
9th January: tarmac scene (9)
13th January: Janine shows up (11, 12)
14th January: false alert (14)
15th January: water breaks (15)
16th January: Emilia Grace is born (16)
23th January: end of part 1

Sorry, that's probably not very helpful.

Last edited by Schmiezi (August 27, 2015 4:23 am)

August 27, 2015 4:24 am  #11

Schmiezi wrote:

Raven, I just realized that the first part of my time line isn't very detailed. See here:
Time line
May:
wedding (1)
later: being shot (2)
Christmas: HLV (7)
New Years Eve: John visits Sherlock in prison (8)
9th January: tarmac scene (9)
13th January: Janine shows up (11, 12)
14th January: false alert (14)
15th January: water breaks (15)
16th January: Emilia Grace is born (16)
23th January: end of part 1

Sorry, that's probably not very helpful.

Oh! OH!! Yes, it IS!!! THANK YOU!

August 27, 2015 4:30 am  #12

Seriously? Oh I am glad to hear that! I was a bit disappointed when I looked at the file a few minutes ago.

I made up the date for the tarmac scene, going by when the baby could be due and how pregnant Mary looked in that red coat.

August 27, 2015 4:35 am  #13

Schmiezi wrote:

Seriously? Oh I am glad to hear that! I was a bit disappointed when I looked at the file a few minutes ago.

I made up the date for the tarmac scene, going by when the baby could be due and how pregnant Mary looked in that red coat.

It's helpful as a loose guideline, which is what I needed-- mainly to know that I hadn't completely gone off the rails...

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (August 27, 2015 4:35 am)

Board footera