BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 22, 2015 4:54 pm  #1

The 'anger' of Series 3

Hi everyone

Wanted to write in about this as this has been something that's been on my mind a lot since Series 3 came out and since I saw some of the ways in which fandom has approached all the negative emotions of it. 

There's a lot about Series 3 that makes my own hackles rise and it doesn't take much - Mary threatening Sherlock, John not seeming to care about Sherlock's actions or about Reichenbach - that makes them rise further. The anger I feel as what I perceive to be a lack of care about Sherlock's thoughts and feelings is alarming; I can get very annoyed with John and Mary, very quickly and John's anger makes the series as a whole a very volatile look at their lives. I know you can't blame him - his best friend has returned from the dead and his new, pregnant wife is an assassin - but the change is an alarming one. I know the answer is 'don't like, don't read' but there are fics of Sherlock suffering directly as a result of John's anger and they're always lingering on my mind; it hurts me to think of that as a possibility and I just want to wipe it all away and focus on the good. I just want to think about the nice things. 

I'm sorry; I'm pretty protective of Sherlock following Series 3, but it's things like this that make series 3 hard to watch and make me worry for the future of John and Sherlock's relationship because it feels as though John is just blaming Sherlock for a lot of the things going on at time, both in the show and on the blog. The trouble is every time I try and write a soothing post Series 3 fic, I feel I have to go through that anger first and that makes me feel angry in turn, which is a worrying reaction to have. I just get so angry at John and on Sherlock's behalf and it just feels like a great big ball of something, waiting to explode.

What are your thoughts on this? I know it's just a television show (famous last words) but it bothers me that I get so het up about what happened in Series 3. I can get rankled at fictional characters very easily but this is a lot even for me. 

TC x

Last edited by TeaCub (August 22, 2015 5:55 pm)

August 22, 2015 5:51 pm  #2

Re: The 'anger' of Series 3

(You might want to change the colour of the font in your post, it doesn't show on the black background unless you highlight it).

My thoughts is that I feel John gets so much criticism in S3 that I get over-protective over him. The frustration you feel about the anger in S3 is the frustration I feel over how much John is blamed for a lot lately.

Having that said, I feel I've seen a pattern in the three seasons when it comes to the relationship between Sherlock and John:

S1: Sherlock is the "bully" with John as the underdog
S2: Sherlock and John are on equal footing, enjoying each other's company and are both more respectful and tolerant of the other one.
S3: John is the "bully" with Sherlock as the underdog

Having spotted what I see as that kind of pattern, it puts my mind quite at ease. They have come full circle, and can only develop further in a new direction from here.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

August 22, 2015 6:18 pm  #3

Re: The 'anger' of Series 3

Check out - we have several threads for this topic already and it would be better to continue there instead of starting another one. Thanks 

Last edited by Harriet (August 22, 2015 6:20 pm)

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

Board footera