BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 21, 2015 2:51 pm  #1

Ariane DeVere checking in

Hello, everyone!  Forgive me for not having known about this board before.  Now that I've finally arrived, I'm looking forward to working my way through the topics and getting to know everyone.

And yes, I'm that Ariane, transcriber of the episodes, fanfic writer and occasional maker of macros.  I live in south-east London, work in central London, am 50mumble years old but recently embraced my inner 12-year old and now have Sherlock fanart on the walls of my living room and hallway and have what I can only describe as a SherClock in my kitchen (it's one of those clocks which has boxes for photographs all around the face.  The photos are not of my family.)  
And let's not even talk about my mobile phone's cover, lock screen and desktop and its text alert and ringtone, or my work computer's desktop photo, the pinboard next to my desk at work ...

Anyway, it's nice to be here and to have new people with whom to whine about the long long wait for the Special and Season 4!

Ari x

August 21, 2015 3:39 pm  #2

Re: Ariane DeVere checking in

Another warm welcome. 
You don't know what you have done to our scientific work here with your transcripts....

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

August 21, 2015 3:39 pm  #3

*blinks*   Wow….  cool, heya!!        Of course I went 'that Ariane, on here?!' as soon as I saw your subject line!       I somehow came across your transcripts ages back when I was trying to find out what some non-captioned commentary/extra stuff said, since I'm hard of hearing, and it's been so incredibly helpful!  Of course you've also gotten recommended on here, with having people from all different countries and levels of English.  So thanks again for those!

Ha… it's kinda neat to hear a bit of detail about… you sound like a properly addiction fan.  Welcome! 

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

August 21, 2015 3:50 pm  #4

Very happy to meet you and thanks so much for your transcription work (important for non native speakers) as well as for your comments which make me sometimes laugh so hard - welcome! 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 21, 2015 3:53 pm  #5

I just wanted to post and say hi to you Ariane and also thank you for your transcript site.  I have spent many a long hour pouing over your efforts and enjoying all the intricacies of the wonderful words that the writers and creators of Sherlock have put out for our pleasure. 

I don't post as often as I did when I first joined this board (reason being many of the topics aren't in my wheelhouse) but I have not lost any enthusiasm for Sherlock (or BC for that matter).  In fact, if anything my admiration for both have grown exponentially in the time since I first stumbled on to all things Sherlocky and Benedict!

I do check the board regularly though and read a certain number of threads - especially the ones that are about Benedict's work and press.  Whenever I see an interesting article about Ben (or Sophie) or something that pertains to his work in film, TV, stage etc. I have posted it for other like minds to enjoy.  I also have contributed to a couple of threads that centre around liking Mary as a character and enjoying the platonic friendship between Sherlock and John.

I look forward to seeing any contributions that you might have in those threads. 

I can't wait for the Special and Season 4! 

Well, that is not entirely true - I have learned to wait... and wait... and wait patiently, like all fans of the show have learned to do.  I think of it as a rite of passage. 

-Val

"The only shipping I know is shipping containers."
                                           -Benedict Cumberbatch

August 21, 2015 4:10 pm  #6

Oh wow, Ariane, what an honour to meet you here! Welcome!
To me, you're almost as important as the Sherlock writers, as you've helped me to understand several unclear parts of their writing through your wonderful transcipts and interpretations. Thanks for kind of being with me for the last three and a half years.
Make yourself at home here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John: "Have you spoken to Mycroft, Molly, uh, anyone?"
Mrs Hudson: "They don’t matter. You do."

I BELIEVE IN SERIES 5!

August 21, 2015 4:19 pm  #7

Lovely to have you here, Ariane. Your work is really invaluable for all who love watching and interpreting the show. I wish you lots of fun. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 21, 2015 4:53 pm  #8

Hi,

Nice to meet you here, after having seen  you site (thanks to a post on this forum, actually). I confirm that transcription are especially useful for non-native speakers.
Beside, I'm relieved to see that I'm not the only one "old" (over 40) fan of Sherlock. It seems to be interesting for several generations, a sign of quality.
See you soon on the forum,

Last edited by BHavers (August 21, 2015 4:54 pm)

--------------------------------------------------------------
What? Cameras? Here? I'm in my nightie!

August 21, 2015 6:17 pm  #9

Wow, Ariane...What an honour!
A warm welcome to you!
Please, enjoy your stay here among us! I'm sure we'll be even more prolific with you added to our midst =)

-Lily

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

August 21, 2015 6:37 pm  #10

Hello from Germany, too! I came across to your transciptions by the links posted on this forum here. Great work! Hope you'll enjoy exploring the forum!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

August 21, 2015 7:57 pm  #11

Oh cool, welcome. Forever grateful for the transcripts. Hope you have fun here.

----------
Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from!

August 21, 2015 8:09 pm  #12

Welcome to the forum, Ariane, great to have you with us!
And I can only agree with everyone else, your transcripts have been extreeeeemely helpful on various occasions and in lots of serious and, yes, not so serious discussions.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 21, 2015 8:23 pm  #13

Hello Ariane! Welcome to the forum.  I think I might be the only person who doesn't know who you are...I admit your name sounded vaguely familiar when I saw your topic, but I couldn't place it.  Still, I'm sure we'll have fun chatting on the forum in the future!

Clueing for looks.

August 21, 2015 8:54 pm  #14

Hi Ariane, welcome. I enjoyed listening to your segment on The Three a Patch Podcast. I also love reading your wonderful transcripts. I think it's great that you have such passion for the show. You put in so much hard work, the rest of us in this fandom really appreciate the effort!  I hope you'll be able to continue with the Spesh and season 4

Last edited by ukaunz (August 21, 2015 8:54 pm)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 21, 2015 8:56 pm  #15

Welcome, Ariane and let me thank you for your perfect transcriptions right away. I spent a a very good time laughing over your charming and witty side-comments to them. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 21, 2015 9:03 pm  #16

Welcome, Ariane! I've greatly enjoyed your transcripts, thank you very much for your time and effort!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

August 21, 2015 9:07 pm  #17

Another thanks from me for the transcripts.  It's not just the non-native speakers who find them useful: I tried to transcribe some of the S3 commentary transcripts for myself when they came out (before yours were posted), but I always refer to your much more accurate and comprehensive versions.   It's lovely of you to provide them for us!  (And I know it's a lot of work, too). 

August 21, 2015 9:12 pm  #18

Welcome to the forum. Great to have you around. I am not a native speaker and hence used your transcriptions a lot. Especially during the weeks after S3 was aired. Thank you so much for all the efford you put into it. "-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 23, 2015 11:49 am  #19

Welcome Ariane! Thank you so much for your transcripts; you have saved me uncountable re-watches already. I hope you will have a great time there on the board.

****************************************************************************************************************************************
We balance probabilities and choose the most likely. It is the scientific use of the imagination.    

August 23, 2015 1:16 pm  #20

Oh wow!  A famous fan on our wonderful Forum!  Welcome! Welcome!

What I like best about your transcripts are your little interspersed "fan" comments.  I've never forgotten the one during the handcuffed/fence scene when John pulls Sherlock back toward him and you commented that all the fandom screamed "Kiss him!" 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And I said "dangerous" and here you are.

You. It's always you. John Watson, you keep me right.

Board footera