BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 15, 2015 6:49 pm  #1

Hi there!

Hello all!

Just joined the forum - and got stuck in immediately.

So, I am TeaCub (real name begins with E) and I've joined the fan forum as a) I am a fan of the show, obviously and b) I've been having a lot of trouble dealing with the horrid mess that was Series 3 - particularly John's characterisation, which makes me feel so sad - and wanted a safe space to discuss it all. I attended the SHERLOCKED Convention back in April and had a great time - I met Jonathan Aris and Rupert Graves and got to say good morning to Benedict Cumberbatch - so I thought I'd reach out a bit more. 

I'm also a keen reader in the Sherlock fandom and am quite the shipper! I like all sorts - although I'm rather less is more. I've grown out of Johnlock a bit (Series 3 and John's behaviour being a big factor in that) but I'm hoping that we'll see a time when Sherlock and John's friendship returns to full, beautiful bloom, just as it was in Series 1 and 2. At the moment, I'm having trouble 'shipping' anything - and I must warn you all in advance, following the events of His Last Vow, I can't call myself a Mary fan. *shrugs* Sorry - as you can see I've already added my two-pence worth to the Mary debate, although I will try and keep it to myself. 

I'm quite the keen BBC girl; I love Being Human, Doctor Who, Poldark, etc. I'm happy to chat to people about anything and everything!

Hoping to get to know you all!

TC x

August 15, 2015 9:22 pm  #2

Re: Hi there!

Hi, and welcome to the forum! May I ask where you are from?
And what exactly troubles you with John's characterization?

Enjoy the forum!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

August 15, 2015 9:41 pm  #3

Hello and welcome to the forum. Looking forward to your contributions. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

August 15, 2015 10:08 pm  #4

Thankyou both!

To answer those questions - I'm English but currently live in Wales. 

And as for John: loved him in Series 1 and 2 but in Series 3 I felt he had become rather unkind and uncaring towards Sherlock and it really showed, especially in HLV. Hoping they can sort that out. Still, we shall see. 

Thankyou again for the kind welcome!

August 15, 2015 10:35 pm  #5

Hi there, and welcome.

I'm so envious that you have met Rupert and said hello to Ben! Lucky you

I just finished watching Poldark, wasn't it gorgeous? I loved the first three seasons of Being Human but couldn't stand watching the first episode season 4 and gave up on it. My five year old son is turning me into a big fan of Doctor Who (I hadn't watched it since I was a kid). Where would we be without the BBC?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 18, 2015 5:16 pm  #6

Hi, warm welcome - cuppa? 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

August 19, 2015 4:23 am  #7

Welcome to the forum.

Please don't feel like you need to hold back your opinion on any topic. As long as things are discussed with reasonable manners, you can comment on anything anytime.

There are some (Johnlock) fics that deal with the same problem you are having with S3. Serching for the tag "S3 fix-it" helps you finding some of them. Let me know if you need reccs.

Last edited by Schmiezi (August 19, 2015 4:23 am)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

August 20, 2015 12:20 pm  #8

Thankyou again for such a warm and kind welcome; it's really nice to meet you all. 

I had a great time at the SHERLOCKED Convention; it was excellent fun and I have photos of myself with Rupert and Louise! Rupert also signed mine - they were both such lovely people. 

Obviously I will do my very best to be polite when it comes to discussions but I just felt so angry with Mary after she did what she did. I have written a short 221b reaction fic but my confidence has sapped when it comes to posting fic. I've written stories in several fandoms over the past year - Cabin Pressure, the Hobbit, Doctor Who and of course Sherlock and none of it has gone up. I just seem to have lost my confidence in that area - I fell away from writing for a couple of years because I was on Prozac and it kind of sapped my creativity and also I wasn't sure what I could and could not write (long story, but basically had a personal crisis of confidence in this area because I was questioning a lot of things in my life, but didn't want to miss out on anything). I'm not quite sure where to find a beta these days; I feel more comfortable to have someone checking my work before I post it right now. Maybe this forum can help me regain something there.

Anyway, I look forward to chatting to you all - thankyou again!

TC x

August 21, 2015 4:28 am  #9

Getting a beta is always a brilliant idea. I am sorry that I am not able to help you - at the moment I don't even have enough time to finish my own fic, so becoming a beta is not an option. But see here:

http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=3541

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that love conquers all!

"Quick, man, if you love me."

Board footera