BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 2, 2015 6:42 pm  #81

Re: Your Victor Trevor headcanons

I think the reason we disagree is I don't see the characters, the show nor the fandom like you guys do. I don't recognize a single thing you guys have written over the past few pages with anything I've seen or read about John. So I can't really relate to it.

And, yes, I've watched the episodes countless times, seen and read all the Sherlock interviews I've come across, browse Tumblr and this forum several times a day and read more Johnlock fics than I can count, both many of the epic and known ones, and more obscure ones. And I still don't recognize John or the fandom at all the way you describe it.

Last edited by Vhanja (August 2, 2015 6:44 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

August 2, 2015 6:45 pm  #82

Well, there's proof that we all have our own perceptions of what we see. :-) And, that's actually a good thing. 

August 2, 2015 6:50 pm  #83

Dorothy83 wrote:

Omg THANK YOU!!! that's exactly how I feel! I personally think John is intelligent, not Sherlock level of intelligence of course, otherwise Sherlock wouldn't be who he is, but I don't find John stupid at all. And I personally love his quirks and flaws, including his temper - they make him an interesting character with depth and his own personality, and that's exactly how characters should be in any story - imagine him being perfect and always knowing what to do and to say and always acting polite etc? He'd be completely soulless! (And let me tell you, angry BAMF John has given me some of my favourite moments in the show - him punching the superintendent for example - I wouldn't change that for the world!)

I find that this type of complaint is very common - especially on Tumblr. People criticise Sherlock for drugging John, John for shouting and losing his temper, and other such stuff - but this is a show, not real life. Are you sure you would be interested in watching a bunch of perfect characters that do everything right and avoid all problems and conflicts?

You can certainly have your opinion on things and disagree with the characters' choices, but getting annoyed because they do things - why? All the fun would go out of the window - and we would have nothing to chat about on here!

I didn´t call John dumb. John, Lestrade, Molly and other "normal" characters in the show are all intelligent (althrough they are not geniuses) and of course, they are needed as foils for Sherlock´s excentricity and quirks. I pointed out that the show doesn´t portray those characters as having any intellectual interests whatsoever.

I have a feeling these "ordinary" characters like their "normalcy" a tad too much in this show. When you are ordinary, that doesn´t mean you can´t have an extraordinary hobby or at least some intelectual pursuits. But here? We have a single scene of John reading a book and listening to Sherlock-played classical music in SiB, but no such thing repeats itself in further episodes. The "normal" characters don´t understand what goals Sherlock pursuits in his experiments, still, that doesn´t stop them from making a sarcastic digs about them and Sherlock´s work.... You have written a monograph about some forensic thing? Bwahaha, no one reads it (as John says in TGG) or "there was a screaming need for that" (Mrs. Hudson in TSOT).... the person admitting to being a moron is promptly praised by Mary in HLV.... it´s as if this show advised you to aspire for mediocrity, rather than to pursue also some higher goals in life...

PS. I have absolutely no problem with John´s temper... 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 2, 2015 6:56 pm  #84

Vhanja wrote:

I think the reason we disagree is I don't see the characters, the show nor the fandom like you guys do. I don't recognize a single thing you guys have written over the past few pages with anything I've seen or read about John. So I can't really relate to it.

And, yes, I've watched the episodes countless times, seen and read all the Sherlock interviews I've come across, browse Tumblr and this forum several times a day and read more Johnlock fics than I can count, both many of the epic and known ones, and more obscure ones. And I still don't recognize John or the fandom at all the way you describe it.

But that´s normal, isn´t it? We are different people with different life experiences, of course we have different visions of things.... there are movies about this subjectivity of vision, for example Rashomon of Akira Kurosawa. The thing is even called "The Rashomon Effect"...

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 2, 2015 7:07 pm  #85

nakahara wrote:

Dorothy83 wrote:

Omg THANK YOU!!! that's exactly how I feel! I personally think John is intelligent, not Sherlock level of intelligence of course, otherwise Sherlock wouldn't be who he is, but I don't find John stupid at all. And I personally love his quirks and flaws, including his temper - they make him an interesting character with depth and his own personality, and that's exactly how characters should be in any story - imagine him being perfect and always knowing what to do and to say and always acting polite etc? He'd be completely soulless! (And let me tell you, angry BAMF John has given me some of my favourite moments in the show - him punching the superintendent for example - I wouldn't change that for the world!)

I find that this type of complaint is very common - especially on Tumblr. People criticise Sherlock for drugging John, John for shouting and losing his temper, and other such stuff - but this is a show, not real life. Are you sure you would be interested in watching a bunch of perfect characters that do everything right and avoid all problems and conflicts?

You can certainly have your opinion on things and disagree with the characters' choices, but getting annoyed because they do things - why? All the fun would go out of the window - and we would have nothing to chat about on here!

I didn´t call John dumb. John, Lestrade, Molly and other "normal" characters in the show are all intelligent (althrough they are not geniuses) and of course, they are needed as foils for Sherlock´s excentricity and quirks. I pointed out that the show doesn´t portray those characters as having any intellectual interests whatsoever.

I have a feeling these "ordinary" characters like their "normalcy" a tad too much in this show. When you are ordinary, that doesn´t mean you can´t have an extraordinary hobby or at least some intelectual pursuits. But here? We have a single scene of John reading a book and listening to Sherlock-played classical music in SiB, but no such thing repeats itself in further episodes. The "normal" characters don´t understand what goals Sherlock pursuits in his experiments, still, that doesn´t stop them from making a sarcastic digs about them and Sherlock´s work.... You have written a monograph about some forensic thing? Bwahaha, no one reads it (as John says in TGG) or "there was a screaming need for that" (Mrs. Hudson in TSOT).... the person admitting to being a moron is promptly praised by Mary in HLV.... it´s as if this show advised you to aspire for mediocrity, rather than to pursue also some higher goals in life...

PS. I have absolutely no problem with John´s temper... 

It's sort of like "normal people" dealing with career artists--- "Normals" don't understand the single-mindedness of working on stuff that doesn't pay well, is regarded as a hobby, and isn't "just a job". Sherlock's a maverick in that he created his own job, and he's living the life he wants to live. Most people can't identify with that at all. 

August 2, 2015 7:08 pm  #86

I have a question: If, by the end of season 4 -- it's apparent that John and Mary will stay happilly married, then what? Would it be more acceptable for Sherlock to find someone to love? Other than John? (Like Victor!)

August 2, 2015 7:16 pm  #87

It will always be acceptable for Sherlock to find someone to love, it's just that in my headcanon that is John, not Victor - or anyone else. 

It's not like John has Sherlock waiting and hanging. None of them have ever expressed any romantic interest to the other. It's not like John has forbidden Sherlock from dating anyone else while he is dating/getting married. It's Sherlock's own choice to not be romantically involved with anyone. So I don't get the "Poor Sherlock is waiting and hanging as John's second choice", as I don't see that anywhere.

As for the show, I don't think Sherlock will ever end up in a romantic relationship in BBC Sherlock, not with John nor with anyone else. (That's what fanfics are for.  ).

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

August 2, 2015 8:14 pm  #88

My new headcanon: John escapes from Mary, dyes his hair black and grows a short moustache, starts wearing brown contacts and dressing into suits and calls himself Victor Trevor. He comes back to Baker Street and lives there with Sherlock. When Mary comes investigating about John´s whereabouts, they both pretend Victor is Sherlock´s old comrade from Uni and his soulmate. 

August 2, 2015 8:27 pm  #89

nakahara wrote:

My new headcanon: John escapes from Mary, dyes his hair black and grows a short moustache, starts wearing brown contacts and dressing into suits and calls himself Victor Trevor. He comes back to Baker Street and lives there with Sherlock. When Mary comes investigating about John´s whereabouts, they both pretend Victor is Sherlock´s old comrade from Uni and his soulmate. 

August 2, 2015 8:53 pm  #90

In my headcanon, Victor isn't included. Basically because my headcanon is based more or less only on BBC Sherlock (since I have no Johnlock interest outside of that show). And so far, Victor Trevor hasn't shown up in the show, and the only thing we know about Sherlock's uni days is that "everbody hated him". 

So unless something else important comes along in the show later on (and something I can be on board with), Victor isn't really a part of my headcanon at all. 

Team Hudders!

August 2, 2015 9:11 pm  #91

Vhanja wrote:

And so far, Victor Trevor hasn't shown up in the show, and the only thing we know about Sherlock's uni days is that "everbody hated him". 

Sebastian Wilkes only said that because Sherlock was more popular than him at Uni and he hated it. Also, he was jealous about Sherlock´s and Victor´s sweet relationship. 

August 2, 2015 9:11 pm  #92

nakahara wrote:

Sebastian Wilkes only said that because Sherlock was more popular than him at Uni and he hated it. Also, he was jealous about Sherlock´s and Victor´s sweet relationship. 

LOL! 

Team Hudders!

August 2, 2015 9:36 pm  #93

nakahara wrote:

Vhanja wrote:

And so far, Victor Trevor hasn't shown up in the show, and the only thing we know about Sherlock's uni days is that "everbody hated him". 

LOVE IT!!!! 

August 2, 2015 10:38 pm  #94

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

nakahara wrote:

Pahaha, perfect!

August 2, 2015 10:44 pm  #95

Just to add another thing - it's not that John has forbidden Sherlock from seeing someone else, but he clearly reacted in a 'displeased' way when he saw him with Janine, and it seemed to me like Sherlock was aware of John's reaction and was enjoying it, as well. So yeah, John doesn't forbid Sherlock because it would be an extremely unfair thing to do, but isn't happy to see Sherlock with someone else, as it seems. (It might just be me)

August 3, 2015 12:08 am  #96

nakahara wrote:

Oh yes!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

August 3, 2015 3:21 pm  #97

If any of you is interested about Vic!lock, I'll suggest listening to the latest episode of Three Patch Podcast Back To Schoolfrom 2:03:19 – 2:28:57, it's a list of fic recs, but, you know. If you're interested, it could be interesting.

"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

August 3, 2015 5:41 pm  #98

Lilythiell wrote:

If any of you is interested about Vic!lock, I'll suggest listening to the latest episode of Three Patch Podcast Back To Schoolfrom 2:03:19 – 2:28:57, it's a list of fic recs, but, you know. If you're interested, it could be interesting.

AWESOME!!!!! 
Thank you!

August 3, 2015 6:21 pm  #99

Anytime.

August 3, 2015 6:43 pm  #100

I have to agree with the Viclock headcanon in which Victor and Sherlock are very close friends -and more. possibly- but it comes to an end because of Mycroft who sees potential in him as an assassin/MI6 agent and, well Victor cannot ignore that he's tempted, goes to explore that.
That would explain the resentment between Sherlock and Mycroft, and I also would like to extend what happens to Victor as follows : he goes to America for a mission or another and meets Mary Morstan. Whether as a target or a colleague, I don't know, but I quite like the idea that through a new sparkling interest in each other (not sparkling as "in love", mind. Let's not forget Mary and John), they decide to team up and go AWOL -and wreack havoc in the world because why the hell not. Or because Moriarty.

Board footera