BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 11, 2015 5:14 pm  #101

Re: Hamlet at the Barbican - contains spoilers about the production

I think in this case the only compromise can be to try and get your own pics at the stage door after a performance - and to get pics which show Benedict on stage somewhere on the internet. 

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 11, 2015 7:49 pm  #102

kornmuhme wrote:

Well, I'm just a fan of finding compromises :-).

How do you compromise about a black and white (literally) situation?  The little red lights facing the stage and the bright white LED phone and tablet viewscreens facing the rest of the audience are either off or on. How does one compromise about that?  Just curious what your idea might be.

August 11, 2015 7:53 pm  #103

SusiGo wrote:

Compromises are fine. But I think there are situations in which there are rules that have to be observed. And I cannot remember a single theatre performance I have seen in which cameras or phones were allowed. The moment you allow photos taken or videos filmed at all, there will be no stopping this anymore. 

I agree. And I also think that this is a problem that lies squarely in the lap of the theater security people. The actors and other performers should not be expected to attempt to control this themselves, by stopping the production to shame the rule-breakers or engage them as though they were hecklers.  My god, a Broadway-quality performance of Hamlet is not the same as going to see a Ricky Gervais comedy show for a bunch of drunks! It gives me the heebie jeebies, thinking about Ben having to break character to chastise his audience for conducting themselves like children. There's got to be a way for security to control this, before and during the performances.

August 11, 2015 9:20 pm  #104

ancientsgate wrote:

kornmuhme wrote:

Well, I'm just a fan of finding compromises :-).

How do you compromise about a black and white (literally) situation?  The little red lights facing the stage and the bright white LED phone and tablet viewscreens facing the rest of the audience are either off or on. How does one compromise about that?  Just curious what your idea might be.

No photo-taking/filming durin the performance, but at the end of all, maybe after the applause.
Once again, I totally agree with you that during such a performance all people must follow the rules - and if they say no, then there is no inbetween.
What I was a bit angry about were a few statemants about people obviously not being able to "enjoy the moment". Well, some might just like taking photos or filming during a show to watch it later in private. What's wrong about this? That's my only critics.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

August 11, 2015 9:26 pm  #105

This is a three-hour performance which is very hard work, especially for Benedict, both mentally and physically. I think that after the curtain everyone wants to get out of their costumes and make-up, shower, and drive home. To keep them on the stage until everyone has got a photo or a video would be demanding quite a lot. 

And I think the fact that some people might like to take photos or films during a theatre performance is not an argument. According to my experience as a theatregoer you simply do not do that and that Benedict is famous does not change the fact that he and his colleagues cannot concentrate on their work. I find it rude and selfish to disturb them and the rest of the audience only so you get something to watch at home. 

Last edited by SusiGo (August 11, 2015 9:27 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 11, 2015 9:43 pm  #106

Yes. Especially if they have to restart "To be or not to be" speech, because someone kept disturbing the play with the camera flashes. 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 11, 2015 10:12 pm  #107

nakahara, did they really have to do that...?? So far I haven't read anything about it because I don't want to be spoilered with details about the production, I only saw Benedict's 'speech' at the stage door on YT. Did he say this or has someone written about it? Because that would be really... wow, rude to the extreme. 

As for taking photos or filming a video during a show because you want to watch it later in private: Well, there might be shows where this is possible because it doesn't disturb anyone else. In case of "Hamlet" (or pretty much any other theatre production) it's just not possible because it does disturb the actors on stage and other members of the audience. It's as simple as that.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant

August 11, 2015 10:20 pm  #108

SolarSystem wrote:

nakahara, did they really have to do that...?? So far I haven't read anything about it because I don't want to be spoilered with details about the production, I only saw Benedict's 'speech' at the stage door on YT. Did he say this or has someone written about it? Because that would be really... wow, rude to the extreme. 

As for taking photos or filming a video during a show because you want to watch it later in private: Well, there might be shows where this is possible because it doesn't disturb anyone else. In case of "Hamlet" (or pretty much any other theatre production) it's just not possible because it does disturb the actors on stage and other members of the audience. It's as simple as that.

I saw it on londonphile´s blog, so it´s probably true:

http://londonphile.tumblr.com/post/126205116701/benedict-cumberbatch-urges-fans-to-not-record

I hope that the person who caused this will cherish their precious memories about this event. 

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 11, 2015 10:33 pm  #109

Obviously, it´s possible to obtain some photos or autographs at the stage door, so there´s really no need to derail the play itself:

http://londonphile.tumblr.com/post/126371859646/stage-door-1008-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-video-x-x-x

August 12, 2015 12:03 am  #110

Now I'm getting a bit sad I didn't hang around the stage door after! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

August 12, 2015 5:57 am  #111

Solar, according to my information they had to restart the monologue due to technical problems, not because of the cameras. However, in his address at the stage door Benedict mentioned that he had seen the disturbing lights from the audience which probably caused a further disturbance.

Last edited by SusiGo (August 12, 2015 5:58 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 12, 2015 6:44 am  #112

nakahara wrote:

Obviously, it´s possible to obtain some photos or autographs at the stage door, so there´s really no need to derail the play itself:

http://londonphile.tumblr.com/post/126371859646/stage-door-1008-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-video-x-x-x

And he did it again yesterday. I think he won't do that every time, but if we are lucky...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

August 12, 2015 7:34 am  #113

I hope for you that you will be lucky enough to get to meet him after! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

August 12, 2015 7:36 am  #114

Thank you. Hope dies last.
And I thought I wouldn't have that stress this time. LOL

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

August 12, 2015 7:45 am  #115

gently69 wrote:

And he did it again yesterday. I think he won't do that every time, but if we are lucky...

What? Seems the info didn't get pass on well enough...
As for being "lucky"...yes, I see what you mean. It is a lucky thing to see Benedict and hear him speak but...wait, isn't that what literally happens in Hamlet (or really, any other theatre production in which he is)?

Then again, I'd rather he not have to do that again.
Chance meeting on a terrace bar it is, then.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

August 12, 2015 7:58 am  #116

What he did again was going to the stage door and give autographs *tries not to be jealous*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

August 12, 2015 7:58 am  #117

Lilythiell wrote:

gently69 wrote:

What? Seems the info didn't get pass on well enough...
As for being "lucky"...yes, I see what you mean. It is a lucky thing to see Benedict and hear him speak but...wait, isn't that what literally happens in Hamlet (or really, any other theatre production in which he is)?

Then again, I'd rather he not have to do that again.
Chance meeting on a terrace bar it is, then.

He did the stage door yesterday again.
And it seems as if he hasn't been forced to do it. 

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 12, 2015 8:05 am  #118

Susi, thanks for the information. I'm kind of glad it's only been technical problems, but I definitely can imagine that those little red lights are a huge disturbance anyway.

Interesting development with him doing the stage door. Maybe he realised that it's fun or even rewarding to do it, if only occasionally. Maybe it depends on his mood or how the performance went. I could imagine that when you're especially satisfied with a performance it might be easier to take some time with the fans afterwards. I only hope that people won't expect him to do this every evening now.

Last edited by SolarSystem (August 12, 2015 8:06 am)

August 12, 2015 8:06 am  #119

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

What he did again was going to the stage door and give autographs *tries not to be jealous*

I´m sure you´ll get your chance for some phgotographs with Benedict too in the future, Phantom. Having my fingers crossed for you.

August 12, 2015 8:07 am  #120

Well, I think, it depends on the mood he's in and how fit he feels after the show.
I don't see him doing stage door every night.

Edit: Solar

Last edited by gently69 (August 12, 2015 8:09 am)

(Tony Hadley)

Board footera