BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 10, 2015 9:43 am  #81

Re: Hamlet at the Barbican - contains spoilers about the production

Now I am disappointed that there were people who didn't have the decency to turn off their cameras...
As you all said he's handled it beautifully and hopefully people will listen to him, though it is a shame (understatement) that he'd have to tell them that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

August 10, 2015 1:06 pm  #82

As much as I can understand your opinion I can also understand the people who want to take photos. Sorry, but it's a natural kind of habit to take pictures for one's own memory, esp, if it's a unique event/moment. Of course that is annoying in theatres, cinemas, even concerts (I myself hate people filming a concert several minutes just in front of me with their hands up in the air so that I can't see properly anymore!), but I've always found it a nice gesture to allow people take their photos maybe at the end of the show or even during the performance for a certain period (so it happened during a Loreena McKennitt concert; we had the permission to film and take phtots during the performance for about 5 minutes). I myself have only had good experiences with this, and at the end everyone is happy and nobody gets distracted.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

August 10, 2015 1:29 pm  #83

Certainly it is quite nice if they allow you to take some photos during such an event... still, if they politely ask you not to take photographs or record the performance and you still do, because you feel you simply must have it, it is very rude and impolite towards the performers and other members of an audience. Yes, you will have a memory, but for what? In today´s absolute inflation of photographs, your photograph will be forgotten in a few days when a new sensational pics appear. But a bad taste evoked by your rudeness in an actors who performed the play and the other viewers will linger. If I travelled half a world to see a play and the play was then disturbed by such an uruly individual, my memories would have been spoiled for good....

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 10, 2015 1:39 pm  #84

There is also a HUGE difference between a concert and a play.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 10, 2015 1:45 pm  #85

I have to agree there, there is a big difference. 

I won't lie, I wish I had a photographic memory, even with my nearly perfect visual memory... but I have too much respect for the hardworking actors. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

August 10, 2015 1:53 pm  #86

tonnaree wrote:

There is also a HUGE difference between a concert and a play.

This!
I visited a concert last thursday, took photos and also filmed two songs. But I didn't disturb anybody because I stood front row.
And I wouldn't dare to do that at a theatre. As Benedict mentioned that implicates this part of the audience not being interested in the performance of the actor and the play but only in him as a person. Which certainly is very unsatisfying for him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

August 10, 2015 2:07 pm  #87

I agree with you, tonnaree. The uniqueness of the theatre visit lays in the fact that you can watch this event live, feel the electrifying atmosphere of the first-hand experience... I don´t think you can be entirely immersed into this atmosphere if you constantly disturb yourself and the others with secret taking of photos or secret recording. You are actually sacrificing a unique and great live experience you have a privilege of attending at the altar of a bad record of the same event... sad, really.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 10, 2015 4:59 pm  #88

I agree with you, ladies, and I think it's a real shame that nowadays people don't seem to be able anymore to just enjoy a live experience for what it is, to be in the moment, to concentrate on the moment, to feel it. I think a lot of this is lost when you're constantly fiddling with your camera or your smartphone or when you're even just thinking about when the next good moment for taking a picture will come. Even only thinking about this is such a huge distraction from what's going on on stage...
And yes, a rock or pop concert and a stage play are two totally different things. Nevertheless, I've heard of several bands which ban smartphones and cameras from their concerts because they want their fans to fully enjoyx the live experience in the way the band thinks suitable. It's their show, so I completely understand if musicians want their audience to experience it as the musicians have imagined it.
That's even more true for theatre. The director and the actors are presenting a well-thought-out production - and they want every member of the audience to fully enjoy it. And the actors want to enjoy it, as well! It's their work, they are on stage every evening, so imagine every evening some people in the audience would just take pictures or make a video... Yes, even if you're taking just ONE picture... imagine everyone in the audience took ONE picture! That's 1200 cameras or camera phones being used!

Sorry, but I totally understand that Benedict, the whole ensemble and the Barbican don't want this. And to be honest, I don't want this, either, when I'm sitting in the audience.

Last edited by SolarSystem (August 10, 2015 5:00 pm)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 10, 2015 5:05 pm  #89

And this is a play with so many details, and every little thing has a deeper meaning. 

You're really cheating yourself if you're more worried about your camera phone. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

August 10, 2015 9:42 pm  #90

As I already mentioned, I DO understand your position, and I totally agree that it is very impolite to take photos of or even film a show if it is clearly forbidden.
What I criticize here is the judging of a certain kind of behaviour. Some people just like having some memory of a certain unique moment, as I already said, and I think it's a little unfair to judge it. Some people want to enjoy the live moment, others want to make sure that they get very good pictures. That's totally ok - as far as I am concerned.

August 11, 2015 2:33 am  #91

kornmuhme wrote:

....  What I criticize here is the judging of a certain kind of behaviour. Some people just like having some memory of a certain unique moment, as I already said, and I think it's a little unfair to judge it. Some people want to enjoy the live moment, others want to make sure that they get very good pictures. That's totally ok - as far as I am concerned.

Except that in this case, people who are trying to "get very good pictures" are spoiling the experience of those who "want to enjoy the live moment". Imagine trying to lose yourself in what's happening on the stage and having to look over, around and through a sea of little shining LED screens that people are holding up!  That would totally piss me off, after all that money spent and all that effort put forth to even get there.

August 11, 2015 5:38 am  #92

Well, some people suffer of insomnia and enjoy listening to the music in the deep night: Is it ok? Well, yes, as long as they put their headphones on. What if they just turn on the radio and wake all the neighbours? (I had such a neighbour: coming back from work at 2.00 a.m. an putting music at all volume because - as he explained - he enjoyed some relax after a long shift).
So here again, what "I" enjoy or want is not the central question. What I should ask myself is whether what "I" want clash with other people's comfort and needs. 
That said, I think that once the play is finished, it would be ok to allow the pics while the actors are bowing.

August 11, 2015 6:20 am  #93

SolarSystem wrote:

The director and the actors are presenting a well-thought-out production - and they want every member of the audience to fully enjoy it. And the actors want to enjoy it, as well! It's their work, they are on stage every evening, so imagine every evening some people in the audience would just take pictures or make a video... Yes, even if you're taking just ONE picture... imagine everyone in the audience took ONE picture! That's 1200 cameras or camera phones being used!

A very good explanation, Solar, which I like to sign.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tony Hadley)

August 11, 2015 7:10 am  #94

You're welcome, gently.

miriel68 wrote:

That said, I think that once the play is finished, it would be ok to allow the pics while the actors are bowing.

Also very tricky, if you ask me. If only half of the audience started to take pictures then, how sad would the applause be...? And once again, if every member of the audience would want to take the chance to get one perfect picture then - there would be nobody left to applaud the actors on stage, because everyone would be busy taking pictures.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 11, 2015 7:35 am  #95

Yes, I agree. I feel that the bows at the end are our chance to thank the actors and team for the show.  I hadn't thought about how dismal it would be if everybody was photographing and nobody was clapping, but you're right.   It just seems rude. 

August 11, 2015 8:24 am  #96

ancientsgate wrote:

kornmuhme wrote:

....  What I criticize here is the judging of a certain kind of behaviour. Some people just like having some memory of a certain unique moment, as I already said, and I think it's a little unfair to judge it. Some people want to enjoy the live moment, others want to make sure that they get very good pictures. That's totally ok - as far as I am concerned.

Except that in this case, people who are trying to "get very good pictures" are spoiling the experience of those who "want to enjoy the live moment". Imagine trying to lose yourself in what's happening on the stage and having to look over, around and through a sea of little shining LED screens that people are holding up!  That would totally piss me off, after all that money spent and all that effort put forth to even get there.

Yes.

Yes.

And yes.

AND it's spoiling the fun and the concentration, the feeling, of the actors, too.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 11, 2015 11:00 am  #97

Well, I'm just a fan of finding compromises :-).

August 11, 2015 11:13 am  #98

Compromises are fine. But I think there are situations in which there are rules that have to be observed. And I cannot remember a single theatre performance I have seen in which cameras or phones were allowed. The moment you allow photos taken or videos filmed at all, there will be no stopping this anymore. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 11, 2015 11:57 am  #99

You just can't get all what you want. It's annoying for parts of the audience and for the artists on stage. That's it.
(Btw, at that concert last week I was totally surprised that only SLRs weren't allowed. First time I saw something like that.)

(Tony Hadley)

August 11, 2015 12:32 pm  #100

I've written about my thoughts on this on the other Hamlet thread. Even when compromises are offered (and I don't  agree that they should be unless it is required for the performance itself to work) some folk are too blindly selfish to abide by the rules.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

Board footera