BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 7, 2015 7:29 am  #61

Re: Hamlet at the Barbican - contains spoilers about the production

Some people, who already saw Hamlet, write about the experience:

http://londonabovegirl.tumblr.com/post/125972461103/hamlet-review-spoiler-free-2am

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 7, 2015 7:39 am  #62

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

August 7, 2015 5:51 pm  #63

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

August 7, 2015 11:08 pm  #64

Clueing for looks.

August 7, 2015 11:21 pm  #65

I'm 'finally' back home and will try my best to come with a review and discription. 

I know this thread has spoiler in the title... but warning... I might get spoilery!

First of all: WOW. W.O.W. 

It still feels a bit unreal that it actually happened, that I actually got to fulfil this dream!
There were so many bumps on the way, way before I even purchased my ticket... and not to mention getting lost because the website hadn't updated with roadwork for the busses and closed stops... having to take the bus at all because the tube was on strike, my toes bleeding and as per usual my hip and back locking. 

But I FINALLY made it to the Barbican (despite my phone deciding to suddenly not know where in the world I was...) and getting my ticket from the box office went smoothly since being in good time, despite getting lost and hopling miles in bad shoes, I still had hours to spare. 

My seat really was as close as I had guessed from the pictures of the building of the stage. I could almost touch it from my seat. 

Coming into the theater the stage was hidden behind a wall of black shining and reflective panes (some people I sat next to discussed if this was on purpose, as Hamlet is said to 'reflect on a persons psyche and put up a mirror')... either way, it also served to stop people from leaking pictures of the production. 

When the walls finally moved down they revealed a very emotional Benedict, going through a picture album and then other effects belonging to his late father. 

I have to admit my mind did do a "SQUEE OMG OMG OMG, BREATHE". He was right in front of me! But it only took a second before I was fully focussed as he started to act. 

He started out with 'To Be or Not To Be' which for a second confused me... having read the play a million times I know that's not how it goes. But it worked so well. 

The stage was beautiful. So many details, so many little things to discover, and the modern (and yet no so modern after all) take on Hamlet still with the original dialogue was just superb. It was dark and still light enough. 

There were times I was laughing so hard. I won't spoil too much about that scene because it works with the element of surprise... but let me say Benedict is the most hilarious tin soldier!! 

The scenes where he plays mad, Ben is just... gosh, a comical talent! 

He was jumping, running, sprinting, diving and ducking... gosh he was fit! 

If I ever doubted his talent (not that I did), this proved his genious. I am in awe. 

If I try to be unbiased and pretend I am not a Cumbercookie, (what I am even more now) this was still my favourite version of Hamlet I have seen yet. Everything from the staging to the actors, the music... it was perfect. 

The story was easy to follow too, I know I have read the play so many times, and I did find myself mouthing along a lot. And smiled as some of my favourite passages were delivered, but I imagine if you were new to Shakespeare you could still follow it quite well. 

Benedict is my favourite Hamlet. 

And now I think I need to attempt to sleep... I'm still high from all of this! 

Oh, and I didn't stay around hoping to catch Benedict and beg for an autograph... I don't know if I regret that, but I don't think he's doing that. 
But, the actor who play Horatio (I keep forgetting his name GRRR) he was coming out and no one really noticed him, and I was trying to make my stupid phone work so we sort of bumped into each other. 

Close enough. 

ETA: I think I got some of Benedicts spit or sweat in my eye at one point. He was up on the balcony shouting, and by then all the running he had done had him wet with sweat... and some kind of liquid landed in my eye. 

I am never washing my eyeball again! 

Last edited by This Is The Phantom Lady (August 7, 2015 11:48 pm)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

August 7, 2015 11:30 pm  #66

That sounds like a great time.  Maybe they put that speech at the beginning to show how much his father's death affected him? I'd have to see it for myself, though, to understand the full effect.  I'm glad that even after all your worries, everything turned out well!

I may just have to plan a trip while I'm at school to be able to see it at the movie theatre.  With your story and the new photos, I really want to be able to see it if I can manage it.

Clueing for looks.

August 7, 2015 11:50 pm  #67

That is exectly what they did, he was going through his fathers things, and recited that to himself.... it made perfect sense! It was just the first few seconds that confused me... literally seconds. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

August 8, 2015 6:16 pm  #68

Great report, Phantom! I'm very glad that you had such a great time in London and at the Barbican!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

August 8, 2015 6:18 pm  #69

Thank you, Phantom, glad you had such a great experience. Now I am getting even more excited. 

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 8, 2015 7:46 pm  #70

That was the most exciting adventure, Phantom! 

August 8, 2015 9:23 pm  #71

Great photos, I love them!

August 9, 2015 4:16 pm  #72

Here is the video of Benedict's friendly request not to take photos or film during the performance - which should be natural but obviously is not to some people. As of tomorrow they will install technical means to track such devices. People using them will have to leave the theatre.

http://gosherlocked.tumblr.com/post/126260659306/sherlockspeare-benedict-asks-fans-not-to-film

"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

August 9, 2015 4:36 pm  #73

I saw that earlier today, I am so ashamed he even had to say that! 

There were so many Barbican staff holding big signs saying No Phones and No Cameras, and they were spending ages trying to get people to shut off their phones. 

You know, I would have loved to have taken a picture, but have some bloody respect. This play is hard work for all the actors and Ben has so many lines to remember. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

August 9, 2015 9:44 pm  #74

Unbelievable. How can people be so disrespectful? That's just disgusting.
Apart from that... how gorgeous is that man...?

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 9, 2015 9:47 pm  #75

Oh. God. Yes. And the voice. And the lovely way he talked to the fans. 

I really hope that they will manage to ban all recording devices. 

August 9, 2015 9:59 pm  #76

Oh yes, Susi. Just lovely. Extremely lovely. And... sideburns.
I really can't believe that it's even necessary to ban those devices and to have Benedict talk to the fans in the hope that they will spread the word. Some people really are just... ugh.

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

August 9, 2015 10:06 pm  #77

He is gorgeous *thuds*

I do love how he handled this, and I can only hope people will finally get it. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

#IbelieveInSeries5

August 9, 2015 11:03 pm  #78

Beautifully handled.  Also a bit of an exciting bonus for those that hung by stage door just in case.  (Always look on the bright side me.)

I can remember when I use to Usher cameras were a constant problem.  And I couldn't seem to get some people to understand that not only is it annoying, it can be an actualy danger to the people on stage.  It can distract them, make them miss a step or a cue and get hurt! 

Hopefully everyone will take Ben's message to heart.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

August 10, 2015 7:44 am  #79

He looks absolutely gorgeous!!!
And I am so sorry for him that he really had to ask for this. Shouldn't that been taken for granted?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten:" I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye."

Sherlock: "I heard you.”

"Temptation coursing through our veins " 
(Tony Hadley)

August 10, 2015 9:02 am  #80

It should be a common decency, yes, but I guess, in our contemporary "me-me-me, me-first, me-above-all" culture it´s not typical anymore not to disrupt the experience for the others and the actors engaged in a play.

Board footera