BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 16, 2015 12:54 am  #221

Re: Hamlet at the Barbican - contains spoilers about the production

Interesting review.  I only hope I am not disappointed in the end when I see it myself.  Maybe it's good to have mixed reviews beforehand, because then I will be prepared for negatives and won't have this hoisted up to a standard that it cannot hope to meet.  And maybe I'll enjoy it just fine because of that.

Still, the low points in reviews are making me anxious, perhaps a little needlessly.  But I do not blame the people giving critcism, not in the least.

Last edited by Yitzock (September 16, 2015 12:54 am)

Clueing for looks.

September 16, 2015 4:09 am  #222

A very interesting review, dioscureantwins!
I'm really curious now to see it myself next week. What you're mentioning about moving scenes about and chopping up scenes... well, I almost would have been surprised if it would have been different. I think it's been ages that I saw a theatre production which didn't do it (I'm speaking of theatre in Germany here). It seems that nowawdays most dramatic advisers seem to feel the strong need to leave their very on mark on a play, so they change or even include new text, move scenes around, that kind of stuff. I usually don't like this at all, because more often than not I don't see that it's making a whole lot of sense. I already read about this in two reviews in German newspapers, so I'd say... I'm prepared now.
It's a good thing though that Benedict seems to give a stellar performance, no matter what.

Last edited by SolarSystem (September 16, 2015 4:10 am)

"I see no shame in having an unhealthy obsession with something." - David Tennant
"We did observe." - David Tennant in "Richard II"

September 16, 2015 6:42 am  #223

Thank you for that review dioscureantwins! 

I have to agree with you most of the way through, the stage was beautiful but it did give the actors quite a challenge. I was sitting quite close to the stage (and lucky for me Benedict did a lot of acting right in front of me... and yes, his hands are huge!) But I did find myself a few times leaning forward to get a better view of other actors faces and reactions; even if I was in second row. They sometimes 'drowned' a bit in the scenography. 

I was a bit annoyed by Gertrude's coldness... as you said it made the scene in her bedroom fall flat! What a shame! 

I did have a bit of a feeling that Benedict was fighting a battle to hold it all together... had he not been there I guess it could have a bit of an 'amatour' feel. Ugh that's harsh to say... but it did feel a bit like that. 

But I was happy though... I went to see Benedict, despite being a big fan of Hamlet as a play, this time I was there to see Benedict in action and I got my money's worth on that accord! 

A little curious question to those who saw it... in the scene in Getrude's bedroom... did Ben only say "A rat, a rat!" and not "-dead for a ducat?" 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

September 16, 2015 10:46 am  #224

This is a very interesting review - and very different:

http://www.creativecontentdigital.com/hamlet.html

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 16, 2015 12:31 pm  #225

SusiGo wrote:

Lovely, absolutely lovely.

It´s true in pointing out that the theatre-critics in the UK is rather an elitist issue and the theatre critics at work there probably frown at any "invasions from the outside world" into their own comfortable little circle of aquaintances.

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

September 16, 2015 12:40 pm  #226

SusiGo wrote:

Brilliant!  I agree with every word.  And not just on Benedict's behalf, I've seen this sort of snobbery many times.

Speaking of Moulin Rouge, I happen to really like Baz Lurhman's take on Romeo and Juliet.  It was original and exciting.  And yes, because of Leonardo DeCaprio it had great apeal to a younger audiance.  When I went to see it the entire row behind me was teenage girls who were there because of Leo.  But instead of being annoyed, I was happy!  These teenagers were sitting there enthralled by Shakespeare!  If enjoying this movie lead to even one of them seeking out more Shakespeare it's worth it.

Shakespeare did writre for the masses.  He liked high drama, vilence and fart jokes.  I also think he would love to see the many intesting ways his wonderful words have been inturpreted over the ages.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Proud President and Founder of the OSAJ.  
Honorary German  
"Anyone who takes himself too seriously always runs the risk of looking ridiculous; anyone who can consistently laugh at himself does not".
 -Vaclav Havel 
"Life is full of wonder, Love is never wrong."   Melissa Ethridge

I ship it harder than Mrs. Hudson.

September 16, 2015 6:58 pm  #227

ukaunz wrote:

Thanks for posting such an in-depth review, dioscureantwins, but just letting you know it's really hard to read in that colour! (Grey on grey)

Apologies. My computer skills are even worse than John's, Managed to fix it, though. YAY

September 16, 2015 7:18 pm  #228

Yitzock wrote:

Interesting review.  I only hope I am not disappointed in the end when I see it myself.  Maybe it's good to have mixed reviews beforehand, because then I will be prepared for negatives and won't have this hoisted up to a standard that it cannot hope to meet.  And maybe I'll enjoy it just fine because of that.

Still, the low points in reviews are making me anxious, perhaps a little needlessly.  But I do not blame the people giving critcism, not in the least.

Believe me, BC doesn't disappoint, not one little bit. He shines! The worst you'll feel, like me, is anger on his behalf.

September 16, 2015 7:20 pm  #229

This Is The Phantom Lady wrote:

Thank you for that review dioscureantwins! 

I have to agree with you most of the way through, the stage was beautiful but it did give the actors quite a challenge. I was sitting quite close to the stage (and lucky for me Benedict did a lot of acting right in front of me... and yes, his hands are huge!) But I did find myself a few times leaning forward to get a better view of other actors faces and reactions; even if I was in second row. They sometimes 'drowned' a bit in the scenography. 

I was a bit annoyed by Gertrude's coldness... as you said it made the scene in her bedroom fall flat! What a shame! 

I did have a bit of a feeling that Benedict was fighting a battle to hold it all together... had he not been there I guess it could have a bit of an 'amatour' feel. Ugh that's harsh to say... but it did feel a bit like that. 

But I was happy though... I went to see Benedict, despite being a big fan of Hamlet as a play, this time I was there to see Benedict in action and I got my money's worth on that accord! 

A little curious question to those who saw it... in the scene in Getrude's bedroom... did Ben only say "A rat, a rat!" and not "-dead for a ducat?" 

You're not harsh at all. The director simply wasn't up to the job and in accepting it she did the actors a bad turn.

September 16, 2015 7:22 pm  #230

nakahara wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

Lovely, absolutely lovely.

It´s true in pointing out that the theatre-critics in the UK is rather an elitist issue and the theatre critics at work there probably frown at any "invasions from the outside world" into their own comfortable little circle of aquaintances.

That's a problem with critics everywhere I think. I've learned to ignore them and follow my own taste a long time. But I'm very, very sorry to say that every harsh word aimed at both the director and set designer in this instance was fully justified.

BC however, was marvellous!!!

September 16, 2015 7:26 pm  #231

tonnaree wrote:

SusiGo wrote:

Brilliant!  I agree with every word.  And not just on Benedict's behalf, I've seen this sort of snobbery many times.

Speaking of Moulin Rouge, I happen to really like Baz Lurhman's take on Romeo and Juliet.  It was original and exciting.  And yes, because of Leonardo DeCaprio it had great apeal to a younger audiance.  When I went to see it the entire row behind me was teenage girls who were there because of Leo.  But instead of being annoyed, I was happy!  These teenagers were sitting there enthralled by Shakespeare!  If enjoying this movie lead to even one of them seeking out more Shakespeare it's worth it.

Shakespeare did writre for the masses.  He liked high drama, vilence and fart jokes.  I also think he would love to see the many intesting ways his wonderful words have been inturpreted over the ages.

I totally agree with everything you say here and I agree with the review in SusiGo's link. The marvel of Shakespeare is that he lends himself to so many different interpretations. If, however, there isn't an interpretation except 'and now for something completely different' even his work falls flat. That's the director's doing and that's what she should be held accountable for.

September 23, 2015 9:06 am  #232

Was thrilled to be able to see a performance last week.   Agreed, some direction choices, uneven chemistry, and the large set may have made a sense of intimacy challenging--  but BC's performance more than compensated.   Such a fluid, physical force,  I so enjoyed watching him move,  and listening to that voice.   The minor cuts made the pace of this Hamlet work really well.  Ciaran Hinds was particularly good.

When Hamlet speaks his final line in the play "The rest is silence",  I remember feeling saddened, not for the loss of the character at first, but because in my head I was thinking " oh, sad,  that's the last line I'll ever hear that Voice speak in person..."- just didn't want it to end.    Nice finish, though,  when BC made a curtain call speech on behalf of donation request for plight of Syrian refugees.  Beautifully handled.   Lovely evening.  I'll never forget his hands, and the voice-- the great theater and crowd.   I look forward to NT live on Oct 15th ( got my tix!)...... Can't help but think the intimacy/ character chemistry issues may be well served by filming angles/ close-ups...

For anyone else lucky enough to be going to these performances, enjoy!!!☺

September 24, 2015 9:09 pm  #233

Thanks for the review, dioscureantwins, even if I must have to completely disagree with it! But that's the fun of having an opinion ;)

I thought the set was absolutley fantastic and when it was revealed in the opening scene it definitely had that WOW factor and they used every inch and space of it to full effect.

I didn't have any problem at all with the directing or the way the play had been cut and reorganised.

If I had to pick holes in anything about the production, it would most definitely be the casting. In my opinion, there were three weak members of the cast who I felt brought things down a touch (would be interesting to see if anyone else notices this, so I'm not going to name who they are).

But other than that, wonderful production. Cannot fault the set, lighting, sound or any of the actual production side of things.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

September 24, 2015 9:10 pm  #234

Added note: I've seen it three times now from three different parts of the theatre.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 25, 2015 1:17 am  #235

Interesting reviews.  Still wondering how my opinion will compare with yours come November.

Clueing for looks.

September 25, 2015 9:00 am  #236

Now that I have seen it twice I would like to add my impressions as well:

- I love the set. I love the cinematic scope of it, the choice of colours, the fact that the same set is used as a palace, a graveyard, a beach somewhere in Denmark. How it is a show of power and death, represented by the dead animals and the weapons displayed on the walls. A place where knowledge (books) and playfulness (the rocking horse) are squeezed into a corner under the stairs. How the colours fade to black and white in some scenes, reminding me of pictures of destroyed cities in WWW2. 

- In the banquet scene at the beginning Hamlet is the only one wearing black amongs a flood of white. Being the outcast, the black sheep spoiling the feast for the others. In the end he is the only one wearing white while all others are in black or dark blue, having accepted his fate and probably being the only one who is at peace with himself. 

- I really liked the cinematic flow, how the scenes merged into one another, thereby creating a feeling of watching a film unfold. 

- I have no problems with the changes made by the director, espcially since there has been some discussion among Shakespearean scholars about the placement of the "To be or not to be" soliloquy. 

- Some minor points about the casting - I think Karl Johnson was excellent as gravedigger, really funny. But I wonder if it was a wise choice to have him play the Ghost as well. Is there a tradition of this? Is it part of the interpretation? Not sure about that. And he seemed quite old as a husband to Gertrude and not the strong presence praised by Hamlet but then he is a ghost. Interesting way to show Horatio with rucksack and tattooed arms but there could have been a bit more warmth between him and Hamlet. But these are, as I said, minor objections. 

- My favourite scenes (not in the right order): The whole first scene with Hamlet, Rosencrantz, and Guildenstern including "what piece of work is a man". The haunting moment when Ophelia walks into the dark and Gertrude discovering the camera. The end of act one. "To be or not to be". Hamlet's scene about being played like an instrument. And there are surely more. 

- And then, Benedict. What can I say what has not been said before? His presence is magnetic, he is athletic, mercurial and very still in the next moment. His voice going all the way from sad whisper to frantic bellowing. His wonderful funny moments and when you can see him laughing, not as Hamlet but as Benedict having fun with the words. And for the record, he looks really, really good, beautiful hair, well-trained, and yes, he has lost weight but this is a very demanding part and he seems to be in top shape. An amazing experience I will not forget. 

Last edited by SusiGo (September 25, 2015 9:02 am)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

September 25, 2015 9:06 am  #237

Thank you so much for sharing, Susi. It sounds so wonderful.
I´m already excited that I will see at least a record of the play...

Last edited by nakahara (September 25, 2015 9:07 am)

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

September 25, 2015 9:17 am  #238

SusiGo wrote:

Now that I have seen it twice I would like to add my impressions as well:

- I love the set. I love the cinematic scope of it, the choice of colours, the fact that the same set is used as a palace, a graveyard, a beach somewhere in Denmark. How it is a show of power and death, represented by the dead animals and the weapons displayed on the walls. A place where knowledge (books) and playfulness (the rocking horse) are squeezed into a corner under the stairs. How the colours fade to black and white in some scenes, reminding me of pictures of destroyed cities in WWW2. 

- In the banquet scene at the beginning Hamlet is the only one wearing black amongs a flood of white. Being the outcast, the black sheep spoiling the feast for the others. In the end he is the only one wearing white while all others are in black or dark blue, having accepted his fate and probably being the only one who is at peace with himself. 

- I really liked the cinematic flow, how the scenes merged into one another, thereby creating a feeling of watching a film unfold. 

- I have no problems with the changes made by the director, espcially since there has been some discussion among Shakespearean scholars about the placement of the "To be or not to be" soliloquy. 

- Some minor points about the casting - I think Karl Johnson was excellent as gravedigger, really funny. But I wonder if it was a wise choice to have him play the Ghost as well. Is there a tradition of this? Is it part of the interpretation? Not sure about that. And he seemed quite old as a husband to Gertrude and not the strong presence praised by Hamlet but then he is a ghost. Interesting way to show Horatio with rucksack and tattooed arms but there could have been a bit more warmth between him and Hamlet. But these are, as I said, minor objections. 

- My favourite scenes (not in the right order): The whole first scene with Hamlet, Rosencrantz, and Guildenstern including "what piece of work is a man". The haunting moment when Ophelia walks into the dark and Gertrude discovering the camera. The end of act one. "To be or not to be". Hamlet's scene about being played like an instrument. And there are surely more. 

- And then, Benedict. What can I say what has not been said before? His presence is magnetic, he is athletic, mercurial and very still in the next moment. His voice going all the way from sad whisper to frantic bellowing. His wonderful funny moments and when you can see him laughing, not as Hamlet but as Benedict having fun with the words. And for the record, he looks really, really good, beautiful hair, well-trained, and yes, he has lost weight but this is a very demanding part and he seems to be in top shape. An amazing experience I will not forget. 

I agree with everything!

September 25, 2015 9:46 am  #239

What a lovely review, thanks, Susi 
Why do I have to wait another month?

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

September 25, 2015 10:17 am  #240

Hamlet trailer!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Board footera