BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 28, 2015 11:58 am  #1

How do you get over an embarassing moment?

Every time I make a mistake at work or get something wrong in front of people, I feel like I want to die. Literally want to throw myself out of a window out of embarassment. I just think I am the stupidest person and that nobody else makes mistakes but me. And I think that people will just be thinking of my mistake and laughing about it behind my back. (I have anxiety and low self esteem : )

So basicaly what I'm asking is - is it true that I'm not the only one and that it happens to other people, too? How do you get over your embarassing moments?

July 28, 2015 3:14 pm  #2

Re: How do you get over an embarassing moment?

Oh, yes, I've had moments where I've been horribly embarassed and wished I was wearing someone else's face and I get a horrible sinking feeling in my stomach, sometimes I feel very hot also.  I don't know how I get over it, I guess by just continuing what I was doing, or going and doing something else. The moment passes, even if it's horrible, and you just have to keep doing something until it does.

Clueing for looks.

July 28, 2015 3:52 pm  #3

You're not the only one! I hate being embarassed... usually it's when I'm in front of people and have to do a talk, and then I just f*** up and the worst is when people don't even laugh but shuffle feet and look anywhere but me. Basically my fav option would be to hide under a table, crying, but THAT would be even more embarassing
But mistakes just happen. I just try to shrug and go on. We are all only human, nobody is perfect. But especially at work I sometimes feel like I'm surrounded by perfect people, doing everything right, and sometimes I just think: come on, embarass yourself, so I don't feel so bad not very nice, I know :D
Sometimes, when I feel flushed, I just voice it, and say something about it, like: oh my god that was embarassing, I'm kind of dying here, let's pretend it didn't happen?
Combined with a laugh it sometimes help.

Last edited by Whisky (July 28, 2015 4:01 pm)

"It is what it is."

July 28, 2015 5:05 pm  #4

I get that a lot, and I'm a master at hitting myself on the head with "Oh no, why did you do that... ugggh, remember when you did that silly thing 10 years ago?"

You're not the only one!

One thing that sometimes helps me is to think that actually a lot of people don't care... most people are too busy with themselves to even notice that you made a mistake. 

It's all about working with yourself, slowly learning that it's okay and we can't be perfect. It is very, very human to make mistakes and it is how we evolve. 

It's not easy, but it can be done if you try and try, and try again

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't talk out loud, you lower the IQ of the whole street!"

"Oh Watson. Nothing made me... I made me"
"Luuuuurve Ginger Nuts"

Tumblr[/url] I [url=http://archiveofourown.org/users/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady/pseuds/This_is_The_Phantom_Lady]AO3
#IbelieveInSeries5

July 28, 2015 6:27 pm  #5

My experience: The older you get, the less you get embarassed :-)! As Whiskey said: We are all humans and we sometimes just do things wrong. So what?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

July 28, 2015 7:32 pm  #6

Thanks everyone. Today has been awful, Ive just been thinking about that moment and cringing and hating myself.

July 28, 2015 10:01 pm  #7

Ugh yeah, I think everyone gets those, to be honest. Just stay strong, you can get through it!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

Board footera