BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 24, 2015 7:14 am  #1

How many fights have John and Sherlock had?

Thought about this and it made me smile. Because they seem to fight/bicker every episode almost - and I'm not talking about disagreements as I don't think they 'disagree' on things per se, more like 'misunderstand' - and I love their fights because they are so 'real' - shouting and sulking etc But then they always just get on with things and don't hold grudges

July 24, 2015 10:24 am  #2

Re: How many fights have John and Sherlock had?

Hm, interesting question. Usually their fights consists of John getting angry and Sherlock being detached (which is usually part of what makes John angry). The only two instances that I can remember at the tip of my hat where Sherlock was also emotional in a fight, was his epic sulk at the start of TGG and the fight at the fireplace in HoB.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"We'll live on starlight and crime scenes" - wordstrings

Team Hudders!

July 24, 2015 11:50 am  #3

mm what about in HLV, when John finds Sherlock and then when they're at Bart's? They have quite an epic shouting match there

July 24, 2015 12:24 pm  #4

I believe they quarrel all the time. It´s their normal way to communicate.

Also, John finds shouting, screaming and raging very refreshing and so he indulges in it very often....

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 24, 2015 1:46 pm  #5

Oh, yes, I forgot the drug den and Sherlock's epic tantrum. 

Last edited by Vhanja (July 24, 2015 1:46 pm)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Team Hudders!

July 24, 2015 2:59 pm  #6

Oh, niiice, can we do a list? :D

What comes to mind is "you machine!" but that hurts

The tube scene... but that's a very subtle fight.

Also: "I need a case!!" - "you just solved one!"

And "don't make people into heroes"

Mostly Sherlock lets John just shout at him. Which seems to work well, mostly. But I don't think Sherlock is detached. I think he just hides what he really feels or wants to say because he probably thinks it won't help. (that's I think also what he says/does in the original stories.)
I feel the moments Sherlock looses emotional control are always when he is under a lot of pressure, which would fit with that.

I love it when Sherlocks starts and John just shouts back at him for a change.

Last edited by Whisky (July 24, 2015 3:08 pm)

"It is what it is."

July 24, 2015 4:42 pm  #7

also, the fight they have in TEH when Sherlock tells John that Lestrade & Co will come back to arrest him and shouts at him 'Can't you see what's going on!"

I think that's the only time when Sherlock is the one doing the shouting and John doesn't shout back...

July 24, 2015 7:30 pm  #8

Dorothy83 wrote:

also, the fight they have in TEH when Sherlock tells John that Lestrade & Co will come back to arrest him and shouts at him 'Can't you see what's going on!"

I think that's the only time when Sherlock is the one doing the shouting and John doesn't shout back...

Yes, that is an interesting one. I was always boggled by that outburst, seeing as John hadn't done anything before that to indicate that he didn't believe in Sherlock. Sherlock acts as if John is doubting him, something he isn't.

It's the one time when his fear of losing John makes him actually take it out on John. (It's usually the other way around).

Team Hudders!

July 24, 2015 7:57 pm  #9

Swanpride wrote:

SoT: Nope...this has to be the only episode in which Sherlock goes really out of his way to be nice to John, and John tries to convince Sherlock that his marriage will not change much.

They quarrel in TSOT too. Sherlock feels insulted by Mary, accusses John that he can´t control her and John in return calls him a primadona and shouts at him like a banshee... 

-----------------------------------

I cannot live without brainwork. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window there. Was there ever such a dreary, dismal, unprofitable world? See how the yellow fog swirls down the street and drifts across the dun-coloured houses. What could be more hopelessly prosaic and material? What is the use of having powers, Doctor, when one has no field upon which to exert them?

July 24, 2015 8:07 pm  #10

Swanpride wrote:

TGG: Yeah, there they have a pretty bad one because Sherlock is angry about the blog post. Angry enough that he manages to make John leaving the apartment. Though I guess an explosion is reason enough for John to forget his anger and a new case enough for Sherlock to get over it.

You forgot one of their most important fights in this episode - the "Don't make people into heroes, John"-scene. 

Team Hudders!

July 24, 2015 9:47 pm  #11

nakahara wrote:

Swanpride wrote:

SoT: Nope...this has to be the only episode in which Sherlock goes really out of his way to be nice to John, and John tries to convince Sherlock that his marriage will not change much.

They quarrel in TSOT too. Sherlock feels insulted by Mary, accusses John that he can´t control her and John in return calls him a primadona and shouts at him like a banshee... 

phahah, yeah, that's a pretty huge shouting match

August 7, 2015 7:49 pm  #12

I've always thought that the fight during HoB, when Sherlock has his meltdown-- was partially caused by John calling Sherlock "Spock", and making light of Sherlock's freak out. And, honestly-- I thought the "drugging" John thing was really tit-for-tat; "Here's what I went through, now, how do *you* like it", kinda thing. 

August 7, 2015 9:24 pm  #13

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

- I thought the "drugging" John thing was really tit-for-tat; "Here's what I went through, now, how do *you* like it", kinda thing. 

Interesting thought....
But Sherlock doesn't look like that. He looks .... very science-ly, professional. Not like it would be a kind of revenge.
So I'm not sure about that.

"After all this time?" "Always."
Good bye, Lord Rickman of the Alan

August 8, 2015 5:31 am  #14

No, I don't get a sense of revenge either. Not at all. And I didn't get the impression that it was anything John said that pulled Sherlock over the line in the fireplace argument either. I think at that point, Sherlock was so scared and freaked out to more or less anything John would've have said would've made it worse. I don't think he meant to be snarky towards John, it was mostly just his own fear coming out.

Or so I see it.

Team Hudders!

August 8, 2015 5:56 am  #15

Yes, I don't think Sherlock drugs John maliciously - I think he knows he can handle it, and he's a convenient subject.  He does know John is able to deal with fear - it's Sherlock who has problems with it in this episode.   Perhaps not just the fear as such, but that fact that he's seen something that he knows can't be true.  I think he's also frustrated that his mind doesn't seem to be working rationally. 

August 8, 2015 6:47 am  #16

I don't really see Sherlock as being malicious, nor John-- but I do think it was sort of a thing like kids throwin' mud at each other. 

August 8, 2015 9:39 am  #17

I don't think it was revenge or tit for tat either because while having his meltdown I think Sherlock perfectly knew John was right and that he should be able to get a grip on his reactions because reacting irrationally like that wasn't going to be productive to anything. So ideally Sherlock didn't want to react like he did, and I think he knew John was right - which is what annoyed him even more because he couldn't control his emotions.

August 11, 2015 2:02 am  #18

Dorothy83 wrote:

I don't think it was revenge or tit for tat either because while having his meltdown I think Sherlock perfectly knew John was right and that he should be able to get a grip on his reactions because reacting irrationally like that wasn't going to be productive to anything. So ideally Sherlock didn't want to react like he did, and I think he knew John was right - which is what annoyed him even more because he couldn't control his emotions.

How would Sherlock get that-- when he was having a meltdown? He didn't seem particularly calm to me. I just re-watched it, and he really was coming apart. 

Last edited by RavenMorganLeigh (August 11, 2015 2:02 am)

August 11, 2015 8:19 am  #19

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Dorothy83 wrote:

How would Sherlock get that-- when he was having a meltdown? He didn't seem particularly calm to me. I just re-watched it, and he really was coming apart. 

Yes, he was...sorry, I don't understand your question? My feeling was that realising that he was scared and that he was overreacting irritated Sherlock even more (he tells John something like 'See I'm scared') and that in turn made his meltdown even worse.

August 13, 2015 10:10 pm  #20

Dorothy83 wrote:

RavenMorganLeigh wrote:

Dorothy83 wrote:

Yes, he was...sorry, I don't understand your question? My feeling was that realising that he was scared and that he was overreacting irritated Sherlock even more (he tells John something like 'See I'm scared') and that in turn made his meltdown even worse.

Actually, I thought John referring to Sherlock as "Spock", was said in a rather derisive manner. If someone said that to me, when I was panicking, assuming that because , normally I tend to be calm and logical-- I think I'd throw something at them. 

Here's what I'm talking about: http://arianedevere.livejournal.com/28518.html
From Ariane deVere's wonderful site: 

SHERLOCK (softly): Once you’ve ruled out the impossible, whatever remains – however improbable – must be true.

JOHN: What does that mean?

(Looking away again, Sherlock reaches down and picks up a drink from a nearby table. Looking down at his trembling hand, he sniggers.)

SHERLOCK: Look at me. I’m afraid, John. Afraid.
(He takes a drink and then holds up the glass again, his hand still shaking.)

JOHN: Sherlock?

SHERLOCK: Always been able to keep myself distant ... (he takes another drink from the glass) ... divorce myself from ... feelings. But look, you see ...(He holds up the glass and glares at his shaking hand.)

SHERLOCK: ... body’s betraying me. Interesting, yes? Emotions. (He slams the glass down onto the table.) The grit on the lens, the fly in the ointment.

JOHN: Yeah, all right, Spock, just ...

(Realising that he is starting to raise his voice, he looks around at the other people in the restaurant behind him and then looks back to Sherlock.)

JOHN (more softly): ... take it easy.

(Sherlock is blowing out a few more breaths and still failing to bring himself under control. He glances panic-stricken at John.)

JOHN: You’ve been pretty wired lately, you know you have. I think you’ve just gone out there and got yourself a bit worked up.

SHERLOCK: Worked ... up?

JOHN: It was dark and scary ...

SHERLOCK (laughing sarcastically): Me?! There’s nothing wrong with me.
(He looks away, almost beginning to hyperventilate, then puts his fingertips to his temples, groaning in anguish. John looks at him in concern.)

JOHN: Sherlock ...

(Sherlock begins blowing out breaths again, his fingers trembling against his skin.)

Board footera