BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 5, 2015 3:58 pm  #1

Hello! Introductions

Hiya, Sherlock Fans!!

I am sorry that I did not have a time to bring an introduction about me in last night that I've joined.
Anyway, Uhm, yeah, to be honest, I am a bit nervous to post a forum here. Well, because I'm new, so please forgive for my sillyness and nervousness to think that I would not say anything about me.

But I could give it a try. I'm Sheila, hello! And I have a hard hearing impaired. Well, I can hear and talk a little bit, so you don't have to be worried about that, and Uhm, English is not my mother's tounge. As you know why is because I'm deaf which means my current language is British Signing Language.  My English can be a "putting-off", you know? Like sometimes you could see my English grammar is something not right or missing something there in the sentence. Honestly, it's complicated, but if you see anything in my grammar that needs to be improved, please, please point it out and I am happy to learn and change it.

And...uh what's else? Oh yes, I am sickly obsession of Sherlock, we know that, do we? Well, I first learned about Sherlock when it was released on the first series, in my brother's old flat, that I noticed just a very very short sense of Sherlock and Irene there, but I was not interested about it, because it's modern. I am the person who is not interested in modern shows or films because it's boring, computers, phones, etc, like that. I am more interested in old days, such as Victorian and through the wars times. I mean, clothes, and things in there.

But this year, this very very first year I've seen all series of Sherlock. When I was on Netflix, I noticed they added Sherlock there, I thought I will leave it because like you've read above about I am not extacly a person who is interested in modern stuffs, but after I watched Star Trek: into the darkness, I will try to watch Sherlock just a short time. Before I say something about this, my friend encougred me to watch Star Trek: into the darkness , because he is Star Trek fan. I used to watched Star Trek: new generation on Netflix which I truly love that shows, so I was trying to watch this film of Into the darkness. Because it's modern and I didn't like it, but after watching that, I really enjoyed it. I learned something new about Captian Kirk and his commander Spock. Anyway, back to Sherlock, haha, well, first of all, when I started to watch th first series, it was getting interesting, not because of techs or crimes, but because of the characters. Sherlock Holmes and John Watson. Both are very interesting characters in the series. I never expected that Sherlock looks quite young in the series, but as his acting, he was good at Sherlock role. Same goes with Martin as John. Them always make me laugh, it's very similar on the different Sherlock Holmes films and short films, but BBC's Sherlock is so far humour and fun to watch at. I am Sherlock Holmes fan, not just this Sherlock, but all Sherlock Holmes, even also the books. And I've been seen Mr Holmes in the picture too.

But what can I say about this Sherlock? You know I really wish I could have seen this when it was first released on the first series because I didn't realise it was popluar and how funny is it. This 2015 is the first year I've watched this Sherlock, not 2010. Uh, that year was awful experience, but I wish to not discuss about this.

Also, I am an artist, which means I love drawing. I started to learn to draw when I was a very little. So, perhaps, in short future, I will post drawings of Sherlock here. Newly, I just drew a few of sketches of Sherlock, and hybrid Sherlock. It motives me to draw that from reading on FanFicton. It's cute but I'm not really fan of Johnlock, as people call that shipping of between Sherlock and John. I view them as brothers, but some FanFictons of Johnlock was quite funny because the way Sherlock behaves and speaks. Such precious he is. I am looking for something that Sherlock related website because I am totally afraid of uploading  drawing of Sherlock on DeviantART. Yes I have it, but rarely use it. I want to separated form fanarts. I just don't want people to fighting over it and begs me to draw something else without draw more Sherlock. I enjoy draw Sherlock because it's a changelle (I forgot how to spell that again, I'm sorry!). The way of something complicated on Sherlock's features on the face. He is actually fun to draw. The shapes, lips, eyebrows and even the curly hair. Clothes was harder!! But I'm still practicing though!

Anyway, I'm glad to find this Sherlock fans forum. Ah, you may wondering for how did I find this? Well, hehe, when I typed in Google for Sherlock hair. Because I've heard just before Benedict's hair has been dyed, his natural hair was actually brown, not black or deep dark brown. So I was curious to see what his natural hair looks like and I saw the photo of it, but on the web links, I saw the forum about Sherlock's hairs that the fans who likes to see Benedict's hairs changed colours. Blonde, red/ginger, black, etc, that's how I found this forum, hehe. ^_^

Anyway!! Haha, I'm feeling much better to type it because I wanted to say about Sherlock. Some of my friends might be not interested of hearing that, but that's alright, because everyone have different interests!!

Again, hello!! Oh, and I have a few questions to you all, if you don't mind!
- when did you started to watch Sherlock and how did you feel about that?
- can I make own topic about my drawings of Sherlock, or have to upload on one folder that have to be for everyone?
- why didn't this forum not include Martin Freeman topic? Because I've noticed that only have Benedict topic, hehe! I understand that he's so popluar actor. But Martin....!!

I hope you understand my English and I also hope you have a lovely day!!!
Forgive for my wow wee long writing, haha!
Thanks!
Sheila.

P.S. I will add the avatar and signature very soon when I gets the time. ^^

"I like detective stories - and detectives. Brainy is the new sexy." - Irene Adler
"Every fairy tale needs a good old-fashioned villain....You're on the side of the angels." - Jim Moriarty

July 5, 2015 5:26 pm  #2

Re: Hello! Introductions

Welcome, Sheila, and thank you for the detailed introduction. I can understand you perfectly fine. Many of us are no native speakers either. 

As for your questions:
- I watched the show for the first time in 2011 when series 1 aired in Germany. I really liked but as it was dubbed I did not have the benefit of hearing Benedict's voice and the brilliant dialogues in the original. I got really hooked in spring 2012 when watching the English DVDs and instantly joined this forum. 
- We have a fan art section where you can open a thread of your own or post your works in the general thread, whatever you prefer. 
- Well, Benedict had his own section when I joined. He is very, very popular and has been in more international films and the very successful Frankenstein play so this might be the reason. But we have a a whole section dedicated to Martin as well:

http://sherlock.boardhost.com/viewforum.php?id=18

Have lots of fun, Sheila. 

Last edited by SusiGo (July 5, 2015 5:26 pm)

------------------------------
"To fake the death of one sibling may be regarded as a misfortune; to fake the death of both looks like carelessness." Oscar Wilde about Mycroft Holmes

"It is what it is says love." (Erich Fried)

“Enjoy the journey of life and not just the endgame. I’m also a great believer in treating others as you would like to be treated.” (Benedict Cumberbatch)

July 5, 2015 7:24 pm  #3

Oh my god, I am sorry, with my poor english, it is difficult for me to understand your long introductions. 

But WELCOLME, my friend

July 5, 2015 7:57 pm  #4

Warm welcome, Sheila! Looking forward to seeing some of your art - that is, if you like to share 

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.   Independent OSAJ Affiliate

... but there may be some new players now. It’s okay. The East Wind takes us all in the end.

July 5, 2015 8:03 pm  #5

Hi Sheila!
Welcome to the forum - I'm also a newbie here, so it's good to meet another new member here :-). And don't worry about your English, I think a lot of people are here whose mother tongue isn't English. I myself come from Germany and lerned English at school - and I'm sure I make a number of mistakes from time to time ... But hey, Sherlock goes global :-).
As far as I am concerned I came across a few Sherlock episodes some weeks ago - and now I'm totally, fully into everything that has to do with the show, esp. the developments and relations of the different characters. I love the chemistry between all of them, Sherlock/John, Sherlock/Molly, Sherlock/Lestrade, Sherloch/John/Mrs. Hudson, Sherlock/Moriarty ...
Well, to be honest, since I started following the series only in 2015 it feels as if I'm the last one to watch it! Everybody in the forum seems to know everything about it, and I'm still a "baby" because I know nothing :-). It would be great if you would join the discussions here!

Best wishes, Sabine

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'm your landlady - not a plot device!

There are 10 voices in my head. 9 of them tell me I'm crazy. One is humming.

July 5, 2015 8:30 pm  #6

Welcome to the forum, Sheila! I also discovered Sherlock and watched all the episodes in the past year, so I am also a new fan.
I am also not a big Johnlock shipper, even though there are some good fanfiction stories that happen to be Johnlock that I have enjoyed reading.  I see what you mean about them being like brothers, and that is certainly a beautiful thing.  I have written some fanfiction with that kind of thing in mind.
I also do a bit of drawing, but I've only drawn Sherlock once at this point.
I am looking forward to chatting with you in the future on this site.
And don't worry, Sheila, there are Martin topics too. 

Clueing for looks.

July 5, 2015 9:45 pm  #7

Hi Sheila, welcome! I started watching Sherlock in Jan or Feb of this year, got instantly Sherlocked and Benaddicted, so for the past 5 or 6 months I have been watching/listening to everything with Benadict in it that I can get my hands on (and quite a bit of Martin's work too), and rewatching Sherlock and reading too much fanfic. I've also started reading the Arthur Conan Doyle stories and watching the Jeremy Brett/Granada tv series, so I guess I've become quite a Sherlockian too. Have you seen this tv series from the 80's? It's very good and completely faithful adaptation of the original stories. If you like Victoriana, I can recommend it

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 8, 2015 3:03 am  #8

And another welcome!  Quite an intro!  Just thought I'd add in a hello from another hearing-impaired fellow fan.  ;)   Although I'm not so much deaf and never needed sign language, I still learned a little.  Plenty of different language people here from all over, though.  And fans of newer and older Sherlock, if you like the old style classics!  I myself found it thanks to a preview trailer years ago on my Doctor Who dvd's… bit of a fan of BBC shows.  And just completely fell for it, and the actors.  ;)  Some of them have done plenty of non-modern style stuff to enjoy, too!   Enjoy looking around!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

Just this morning you were all tiny and small and made of clay!

I'm working my way up the greasy pole.  It's… very greasy.  And…  pole-shaped.

July 10, 2015 5:16 pm  #9

Oh my goodness!!! My face is full of reddish blushing!! Because I was quite suprised to received the messages!! I was squealing with joy! XD

ANYWAY, gonna to relpy you all back! (I dont even know how to use the usernames here so they can see my message through your emails. :c I'm still learning!!)

@SusiGo - Thank you so much and also thank you for the answers to my questions! I will have a look at Martin topic when I gets the time! :D
@Emy Klevers - Oh my goodness!! I am so sorry that you do not understand my English writing!! Do you use the translates on the website? BUT thank you!
@Harriet - Thank you!! I will show you my art as soon as possible when i gets the time!!
@kornmuhme - Hi Sabine! Thank you and welcome to the Sherlock forum!! I'm so glad that no one has point it out on my English grammar!! Awww, thank you for your informations about how you know about Sherlock! It's very interesting to learn about people's interests of Sherlock. haha, you are not the alone about being "baby", I am the same too! That's why I used this word for my username, hehe! Again, thank you!
@Yitzock - Thank you! When did you discovered Sherlock? Really? You draw too? Can I see your drawing somewhere? Maybe one day we can do art trade!! Of course, with Sherlock related! Yeah, we can do chat in one day! And thank you! I will research for Martin topic on here.
@ukaunz - Thank you! Oh wow! I watched Sherlock in March in this year!! You were the first before me! Haha. Amazing! Haha, I also re-watch Sherlock series as well. Even also I have the DVDs with all series. :D Oh my goodness! Just recently I bought a new DVDs set of Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Bett on in!! I love this series!! So like in the books! I read the books as well. :D Yes, I've seen it! It was so good! I love the Victorian style when it comes to Sherlock Holmes TV series (and others too) The clothes, the buildings, horse carriages, so beautiful....
@Russell - Thank you very much! Really?! When did you learn some signs? Well, I prefers Classic styles, but  modern Sherlock is very interesting! So I like both. Haha, yeah! Oh, and I can't wait to see the special Sherlock on this December! I heard there have Victorian style with Benedict and Martin as Sherlock and John. eek, can't wait!

"I like detective stories - and detectives. Brainy is the new sexy." - Irene Adler
"Every fairy tale needs a good old-fashioned villain....You're on the side of the angels." - Jim Moriarty

July 10, 2015 9:51 pm  #10

Evening, Sheila, and welcome to you!
I know you will have fun around here, there are a lot of interesting topics (and yes, of course Martin has one, too), and quite a number of silly ones
Might I ask what is your mother tongue?
In answer to your question, I started to watch Sherlock in 2012 -a classmate had given me the episodes and was quite insistent I watch them. Too bad she changed city afterwards, it would have been brilliant to fangirl with her on something else than David Tennant. And now I'm here, completely obsessed. Would have loved it if I had heard of this series in...oh, I don't know...2010? When the first series aired? What do you mean, I'm a masochist?

Anyway have a lot of fun!

Best wishes,
glad to have you on board!

-Lily

Last edited by Lilythiell (July 10, 2015 10:02 pm)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'd be lost without my blogger.
"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

July 10, 2015 10:24 pm  #11

Hi there! You've joined us at a very good time, the fandom is exploding with new Sherlock Special stuff. I hope you have fun here and become part of our relaxed community.

Your questions:

- when did you started to watch Sherlock and how did you feel about that?
I first started watching Sherlock in January 2012 when the second series and Scandal In Belgravia was aired in the UK. I wasn't hooked on the first episode, but I was certainly INTRIGUED by the first episode and wanted to watch more. It was the final episode, The Reichenbach Fall, which hooked me and made me into the Sherlock obsessive I am today. I have always liked and appreciated Sherlock Holmes since I was 12 years old, but this new series turned me from a casual appreciator into a full out obsessive and I have never looked back since. It's changed my life for the better and helped me in so many ways.

- can I make own topic about my drawings of Sherlock, or have to upload on one folder that have to be for everyone?
There are topics that already exist for fan art and drawings, but you are more than welcome to start your own. We have an entire forum dedicated to Fan Art, so go for it.

- why didn't this forum not include Martin Freeman topic? Because I've noticed that only have Benedict topic, hehe! I understand that he's so popluar actor. But Martin....!!
We do have a Martin Freeman forum, but Benedict has three forums and Martin only has one. Initially, Benedict only had one, but the amount of topics in that one section became so huge and unmanageable that it seemed like a sensible decision to start splitting them up. What can I say...he's a popular guy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

Independent OSAJ Affiliate

July 11, 2015 3:45 am  #12

BabyRose wrote:

@Russell - Thank you very much! Really?! When did you learn some signs? Well, I prefers Classic styles, but  modern Sherlock is very interesting! So I like both. Haha, yeah! Oh, and I can't wait to see the special Sherlock on this December! I heard there have Victorian style with Benedict and Martin as Sherlock and John. eek, can't wait!

Hey!   Yeah, quite an interesting time to happen to come across it, then find us!    I was curiously uncertain about a modern version too, but in their hands, I thought it was amazingly creative and just fell hard and stuck with all of it ever since.  I've read the stories, but never got around to watching much of classics, so…  Lucky, getting to see them now do a classics-style version, too! 

@Lilythiell - I may be venturing on a limb here and let Sheila confirm, but I'm pretty sure from her intro second paragraph that she is English, just implied that doesn't consider it mother tongue because for most deaf (or near-deaf) their main language is sign language.  And if you live with that as your main language, I've noticed from others online that it does have an effect on what you're used to with grammar, since it doesn't work the same way as English.  But we have a ton of dual-language people here, and even if they say they aren't, it's always impressive how well they do write and keep up!  Four years of high school Spanish and a bit of ASL here and there and no way could I keep up a conversation. 

But yeah, Sheila, I tried at least to pick some of it up here and there!  I've been very hard of hearing since I was a kid, but gratefully learned to read/write/speak before it happened, so always stayed 'mainstreamed' (with some help) and never needed ASL or similar.  I wanted to try it out in an after-school program though, but never kept it up.  Then a couple classes again in college just out of an interest in staying 'connected' with that world, but again, not knowing anyone else who used it, it kind of faded away.  Eh, well…  just thought it was neat to find another similar person on here again and thought say hi!   Enjoy browsing!

We solve crimes, I blog about it, and he forgets his pants.  I wouldn't hold out too much hope!

July 11, 2015 7:17 pm  #13

Russell wrote:

@Lilythiell - I may be venturing on a limb here and let Sheila confirm, but I'm pretty sure from her intro second paragraph that she is English, just implied that doesn't consider it mother tongue because for most deaf (or near-deaf) their main language is sign language.

Yeah, good point, Russell

"It’s not a ‘gang’ show, it’s the Sherlock and John show. It’s about developing their characters and their relationship, and the characters drawn into their orbit.”  Steven Moffat

July 12, 2015 5:13 pm  #14

A bit late but hello and welcome to the forum! I only know a tiny bit of BSL (waves hello!) 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't make people into heroes John. Heroes don't exist and if they did I wouldn't be one of them.

July 12, 2015 6:10 pm  #15

Lilythiell wrote:

Evening, Sheila, and welcome to you!
I know you will have fun around here, there are a lot of interesting topics (and yes, of course Martin has one, too), and quite a number of silly ones
Might I ask what is your mother tongue?
Would have loved it if I had heard of this series in...oh, I don't know...2010? When the first series aired?

Hi, Lily!!!

Thank you so much!! I'm so happy that Martin never been left out in this forum!!

To your questions, like Russell said I am English, but my mother's tongue is actually a BSL, which means, well, BSL is not really like in English but silightly different. I mean, like for e.g. in BSL, we do not use 'a', 'the', or 'does'. If you write in English with the question such as "Does your mother knows your getting married soon?". We translates to BSL is something like "Soon you married, your mother know?" with the question face. That is why I said if you sees my English is something like "putting off" or mistakes or missing words or something out of the words in the sentences, because I am using BSL writing, but I am learning a proper English now, for the work.
I hope you understand that.

And also, Sherlock was released on 25 July 2010. I researched for that on Google. Hope it helps!

July 12, 2015 6:17 pm  #16

Russell wrote:

But yeah, Sheila, I tried at least to pick some of it up here and there! I've been very hard of hearing since I was a kid, but gratefully learned to read/write/speak before it happened, so always stayed 'mainstreamed' (with some help) and never needed ASL or similar. I wanted to try it out in an after-school program though, but never kept it up. Then a couple classes again in college just out of an interest in staying 'connected' with that world, but again, not knowing anyone else who used it, it kind of faded away. Eh, well… just thought it was neat to find another similar person on here again and thought say hi! Enjoy browsing!

Oh wow!! Interesting! But what about hearing? Can you hear anything? I can hear music clearly, but not the words, it sounds like blurry and different language, but if a person stands close to me, I can hear them quite well. But I am learning the new words from their mouths that I never heard before, Hope you have a good day!

July 12, 2015 6:18 pm  #17

Davina wrote:

A bit late but hello and welcome to the forum! I only know a tiny bit of BSL (waves hello!)

Hiya, Davina!! That is alright!! But thank you for come by say welcome and hello to me! Really? Yay! (waves back) :D Hope you have a good day! (Also, love your avater! So cute!)

July 12, 2015 10:15 pm  #18

Evening, Sheila!
Don't worry, I understood what you said just fine
It is hard, I think, to get your point across in written format -taking the example of the first broadcast of Series 1, I was trying to joke about it...perhaps not the right way. Thinking about it, now, "wouldn't it have been brilliant if I had known of Sherlock when the first series aired, in 2010" may have been more efficient. Apologies about that. And thank you to have researched the date

-Lily

July 14, 2015 7:25 am  #19

BabyRose wrote:

Russell wrote:

But yeah, Sheila, I tried at least to pick some of it up here and there! I've been very hard of hearing since I was a kid, but gratefully learned to read/write/speak before it happened, so always stayed 'mainstreamed' (with some help) and never needed ASL or similar. I wanted to try it out in an after-school program though, but never kept it up. Then a couple classes again in college just out of an interest in staying 'connected' with that world, but again, not knowing anyone else who used it, it kind of faded away. Eh, well… just thought it was neat to find another similar person on here again and thought say hi! Enjoy browsing!

Oh wow!! Interesting! But what about hearing? Can you hear anything? I can hear music clearly, but not the words, it sounds like blurry and different language, but if a person stands close to me, I can hear them quite well. But I am learning the new words from their mouths that I never heard before, Hope you have a good day!

Ha… thanks!  I know, I kind of gave the 'quick' answer before, to not ramble, but don't mind sharing similarities with if really want to.  Like I said, was "lucky" (I guess?) to not lose hearing until after had full grasp of language and could handle myself fine with just hearing aids to help (and sometimes other devices, as you might know, too).  Thankfully not fully deaf so never had reason to pick up ASL except for curiosity and having a bit of a 'connection' to that (nothing against that world/culture, just wouldn't ever want to lose it completely).  It sounds like you're a bit more immersed in that?  So could hear mostly fine with those, just needed some help here and there, of course… I'm sure you can relate to the trouble with catching everything in a classroom, or the phone, or tv/video (captions are my godsend! ;D), and yes… music!  Always enjoyed it (and piano lessons helped with that!), just clearly hearing the lyrics is nearly impossible.  Would just look up favorites afterwards, anyway.  And just like you, can pretty much hear someone speaking up in front of me without aids, if I had to, but pretty much need them.  But you probably can relate that sometimes the silence is nice.      Thanks for chatting!

July 14, 2015 5:40 pm  #20

Warm welcome from me as well, Sheila! 

------------------------------------------------------------

Eventually everyone will support Johnlock.

"If you're not reading the subtext then hell mend you"  -  Steven Moffat
"Love conquers all" Benedict Cumberbatch on Sherlock's and John's relationship
"This is a show about a detective, his best friend, his wife, their baby and their dog" - Nobody. Ever.

Board footera