BBC Sherlock Fan Forum - Serving Sherlockians since February 2012.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 9, 2015 7:07 pm  #1

Adults only: Manna Francis - The Administration Series

Not something I have read recently (well, not in the last two months or so - I do re-read books from the series regularly), but something I will (hopefully) read very soon: Book 8 of Manna Francis's Administration Series, titled Blood & Circuses, will be published by Casperian Books on 1st July.

You'll find more information - and most of the stories here: http://www.mannazone.org/ (meaning you can give the stories a try for free)

The series is some of the best writing I have ever read (I mean Michael Crichton or Stephen King standards of writing, and not their later books - I'm serious!) - I started online, printed out the complete series for easier re-reading (no tablets/smartphones at the time) and then bought the books as soon as they came out (and continue buying some 10 years later...). That's how much I like them... Even though I don't like slash all that much - but Manna has a way of making it really interesting ...

What I find mind-boggling is that Manna started writing these stories in 2002 and only later did reality begin to catch up with them (if you want to know why I find that rather worrying, you'll have to read the first chapter of Mind feck).

Really, there's only one problem with the series (assuming you are an adult and okay with M/M (and one chapter of F/F): It's so perfect that having read it I find most sex in fanfiction not worth my time any more...

June 9, 2015 9:31 pm  #2

Re: Adults only: Manna Francis - The Administration Series

I didn't know it, so I checked it out. The writing I liked, it's very smooth and eloquent (is that the word?). The story isn't bad either so far, but I don't know, I don't really get into it. I mean, it's a good read, I just don't feel like reading further after a few chapters. Maybe that's just me, or a question of taste :-) Sorry :-) But after your enthusiastic recommendation I thought it worth a try ;-)

"It is what it is."

June 10, 2015 11:04 am  #3

Re: Adults only: Manna Francis - The Administration Series

There's no need to apologize for not sharing my taste! If you didn't like it, that's fine with me.

I just thought I'd mention the series here because I thought the books deserve a wider audience than they probably have, because I figured (given the length of all the Johnlock threads) that some of the forum members might appreciate them and because it's so easy to have a quick look at the stories (and I love the author for not pulling them off the web when they came out in print).

As far as I remember I got hooked by the description of office life - the disappearing plants - and Sara's appearance (I love well-written assistants, PAs, secretaries etc.) at the beginning of chapter two. So if you've read further than that (the first six chapters of MInd feck can stand alone, without leaving you with a cliffhanger) and didn't like it, then you've given the story a fair trial, I'd say. As they say, it's a good thing tastes are different, otherwise there might be a haggis shortage...

Board footera